Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-7170X-UD5 TH Memory Question

GA-7170X-UD5 TH Memory Question
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:49:42 pm »
So I haven't been much into the DIY PC scene as much as I was in my youth and after 5 years decided to update my old PC, splashing out on a Z170X-UD5 TH figuring this model has all the bells and whistles so should last me a good few more years.

I bought some Corsair (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 RAM along with it and this is were the headaches started.

At first the system wouldn't boot at all giving debug code 55 (RAM error) so I removed the one of the modules and put the other in DDR4_1 and then it worked!

Figuring it was some bios issue I updated the bios to latest version and in the bios I enabled the XMP profile and tested again and the system started fine with just one module. Then I put in the second and debug code 55 happens again.

So here is the stupid question am I not installing the RAM correctly, if module 1 is in DDR4_1 then the other module goes in DDR4_2 ?

(I haven't tested the other module on it's own just yet, it could be defective but I just want to rule out my own stupidity)

Re: GA-7170X-UD5 TH Memory Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:55:46 pm »
Hello,

You need to use the same colour slots, Grey slots or just the Black slots.
If you discover that both modules do work try this.

Test with just 1 memory module.
Grey slot closest to the CPU: Does this work on its own?
Grey slot to the right side of the board:  Does this work on its own?

If 1 slot does not work it could imply an issue with your CPU or CPU socket pin alignment< Take CPU out to check.
My PC is evolving

Re: GA-7170X-UD5 TH Memory Question
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:45:26 am »
Yeah I figured as much the slots are colour coded, just wanted to be sure.

I tested the other module on it's own and the system wont start so it's definitely the RAM that is the culprit.