Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and Windows 10?

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and Windows 10?
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:53:12 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, I don't usually use forums, but this time I feel like I need an answer from qualified people  ;) .

I've just recently bought a windows 10 key off of G2A (yep, most likely it will fail in a year or so, but it was 20$ so I figured I'd try it...) They sent me the key, and I downloaded the windows installer.

I always installed windows 7 from USB, so I figured I'd do the same with W10 since it's way faster. I used their "Media Creator" tool thingy to create a bootable USB suitable to install windows and proceeded to go forward with the installation.

At first everything is fine, it loads some files, then it asks for some language preferences and keyboard layout, but the next step is why I'm turning to you guys. It always tells me that "A media driver your computer needs is missing". So I tried to unplug most of what I could unplug, and ended up with a Crucial C300 SSD and a caviar black 1TB HDD and keyboard and mouse. I tried to install it again and it still doesn't want to.

My question is this, can I even install windows 10 on this motherboard? Seeing as there were some drivers for windows 10 for this motherboard, I figured I was good to go...

And if it is possible, does anyone know which driver I would need to point to or include? The installer doesn't point to any missing drivers, so I'm left in the dark.

I've tried swapping USB port when installing, but that doesn't help either, and I've also tried USB3.0 and USB2
0 ports, which doesn't give better results.

I would also be curious to hard from "Meat Juice" seeing that he posted this post :

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16234.0

but it seems that the windows install only searches for .inf files, (or driver files, I'm not too sure about the .inf) but not .exe files, which makes it harder to find a driver that can be used.

PC SPECS :

- GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 Motherboard
- Intel I7 2600k CPU
- GTX 970 GPU
- DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT RAM
- Crucial C300 SSD
- Caviar Black WDD HDD

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:45:16 am »
I installed windows 10 on this board GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 and I use a DVD. I sold a computer with a Ga-P55 with windows 10. Try to use a DVD. Plus what bios are you using? If it is the UEFI Beta bios that could be your problem.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59:27 am »
I may give the DVD a shot, I'll need to find a dvd writer for this first, but that shoudln't be too much trouble.

I'm on the F10 bios revision, I don't know if it is the one you're speaking of, the description on the Gigabyte website isn't saying much :

Support Intel 3rd generation 22nm E1 stepping CPU (Ivy bridge)
Improve power on issue
Update ME / CPU code

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:58:23 pm »
Hey Guys,
My win10 experience on this chipset is on the sys2 Asus board in my sig.  Similar in many ways, but not identical  to the B3 rev you are using.  It is however, running 10 without issue.  Biggest difference being my USB is a Renesas controller.  I agree with dmdilks...  likely a media issue in this case.  The only other thing I have seen issues with are crucial SSD's.  Love 'em or hate' em.  I'm not a fan myself, but still feel your error is media related. 

Most of the posts I found on the web all point to W10 technical preview.  Long since gone.  Other's suggest BIOS settings or revision or how the USB install media was created, including the quality of the stick you use.  All over the board really, so start with confirming your BIOS settings and media quality.  Please keep us posted on your progress.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:27 pm »
Well... I finally managed to install Windows 10...

I had to burn a DVD for the installation and update my BIOS.

I don't know why, I had the latest F10 bios for my motherboard, but at some point it either reverted to F4 or one of the two bios failed and it switched to the other one. In the bios I disabled the EFI option, although I don't have a clue of what it is...

Anyway, what I did to get it to work was update my bios to the F10 revision, turn off the EFI option in the bios and burn a DVD to manage to install windows.

This manipulation may have enabled me to use my USB installation stick, but at this point, I decided to put the odds on my side and just stick with the DVD...

Thanks guys for the help, I hope most people never have to tweak like I did to get it working... But if so, they'll know what to do now  ;)