Official GIGABYTE Forum

EasyTune CPU Temps - 10°C degrees low?

EasyTune CPU Temps - 10°C degrees low?
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:29:27 pm »
 I have tried CoreTemp and RealTemp and both of those consisently show my temps 10° higher than ET. Any one else experience this?

Motherboard is P55-UD4P and CPU is Core i7 860.
Bill (AFE7Ret)

venganza

• Pics of my junk
Re: EasyTune CPU Temps - 10°C degrees low?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:43:15 am »
I have tried CoreTemp and RealTemp and both of those consisently show my temps 10° higher than ET. Any one else experience this?

Motherboard is P55-UD4P and CPU is Core i7 860.

Look ET & all the GA utils are rubbish, why bother with them?
Intel i7 930 - Venomous-X - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 - EVGA GTX480 - 12gb (6x2gb) OCZ Platinum - Enermax Revolution85+ 1250w - TT Xaser 4000 VI - G-Skill Falcon II 64gb + 7 HDD's - Razer Lachesis+ExactMat - Saitek Eclipse II - LG L246WHX 24" BenQ 24".

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 07:44:05 am »
Ouch,
Look ET & all the GA utils are rubbish, why bother with them?

Whilst in principal I agree that the bundled software provided by Gigabyte, isn't the best, it is still useful for those starting out and who don't have a lot of experience with O'Cing and adjusting basic parameters in BIOS.

It also provides a baseline to move forwards from. If you have never tried any of the myriad of utilities available for checking and adjusting temps, voltages, fan speeds etc., at least the Gigabyte software gives an insight to this area and for those who want to go deeper and also an understanding of what they need to be looking for in more advanced software.

Yes, if you are like me and have built a lot of PC's, then you tend to automatically disregard the bundled software, usually this is because we have tried it out, in our early days and then moved on but, if you are only just starting out on the tweaking journey then I believe it is a good place to start.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

venganza

• Pics of my junk
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:06:35 am »
Some the of utils are handy no doubt, but I strongly suggest no one should play around with any clocking at all unless they at least know the basics, especially voltages, and then of course BIOS is the only way to travel :)

I can see why companies include such tools (sadly), but some like @BIOS should be treated with extreme care.

I am very much a devoted Gigabyte user (have gone through many boards and currently am using a UD9), however that doesn't stop me from suggesting people should steer clear of the supplied sofware, most of it is better served by existing products out there anyway :)
Intel i7 930 - Venomous-X - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 - EVGA GTX480 - 12gb (6x2gb) OCZ Platinum - Enermax Revolution85+ 1250w - TT Xaser 4000 VI - G-Skill Falcon II 64gb + 7 HDD's - Razer Lachesis+ExactMat - Saitek Eclipse II - LG L246WHX 24" BenQ 24".

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:43:09 pm »
I'm not disagreeing with you, only pointing out that you have to start somewhere and as a first step the bundled utilities can prove helpful.

Yes, the only way to really go when overclocking and tweaking, is through BIOS but, and it is a big BUT, when you are first starting out the utilities can show you the automatic adjustments that are being made and you can then alter BIOS to match. This is how I and many others started out with overclocking. Yes, I soon realised how poor they were and moved forward but I really appreciated the ease of use and the initial understanding that I gained from them.

@BIOS, as you say, should be dropped it is awful and causes more problems than it solves!

I too am a long time fan of Gigabyte boards and nowadays I tend to put the CD that comes with any Mobo to one side and ignore it completely, but that comes with the experience which I didn't have 10 years ago.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

venganza

• Pics of my junk
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:56:14 pm »

I too am a long time fan of Gigabyte boards and nowadays I tend to put the CD that comes with any Mobo to one side and ignore it completely, but that comes with the experience which I didn't have 10 years ago.

Well often the stuff on the CD is out of date by the time we buy the product (which is a GOOD thing, since it means GA is busily working to keep drivers/bios/utilities up-to-date and current).

Oh I agree some of the tools GA supplies are interesting for newcomers, having a "visual" concept of overclocking in a sense can help, after all the BIOS screens were scary things for all of us at once point in time or another :D

I find many motherboard makers are quality, EVGA, Asus and others, I can't honestly say there has ever been any imperative that kept me using GA, other than the stuff worked, was well supported and did the job I asked of it.

I am quite happy to see GA take on the high performance market, part of the reason I chose the UD9 was all the myriad toys and features I perhaps do not need, but nonetheless coverted.

Naruraly EasyTune comes with the thing, oh well... Still I am sure most people quickly move on the other toys once they know a little more as you say. Without any doubt it is better that GA provides such tools, rather than none at all :)

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »
Its already been said but easytune is great for newcommers :) Clocked my E8600 on a EP45-UD3P to 4.05ghz with a click of a button + restart. Prime stable too! http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2330/405easytune.jpg
There's no place like ::1

venganza

• Pics of my junk
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 03:21:28 pm »
Its already been said but easytune is great for newcommers :) Clocked my E8600 on a EP45-UD3P to 4.05ghz with a click of a button + restart. Prime stable too! http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2330/405easytune.jpg

Well nothing wrong with them apples mate :)

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:59:08 am »
I know, was pleasantly suprised!  :D
There's no place like ::1