Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-Gaming GT - map of the temperature sensors?

GA-Z170X-Gaming GT - map of the temperature sensors?
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:52:13 pm »
The Corsair AX860i power supply has a USB connection to the Gigabyte board and a PC app that reports information from the Gigabyte motherboard.

Mine is showing much-higher temperatures at the #4 temperature sensor position on the board.  At idle while the rest of the temps reported are in the very low 30's, the #4 position is reporting 48 degrees.  I've seen it go to the mid-50s.

Where is sensor #4 - where are they all, if there's a resource showing that - and do I need to worry about the temp differential between #4 and the others?

TIA

Re: GA-Z170X-Gaming GT - map of the temperature sensors?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:56:26 pm »
<bump> Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The CPU temp - a likely-warm place on the board - is usually reported by the BIOS as being in low 30s in temperature.  (It's got a good water cooler on it.)

So if temperature sensor #4 isn't at the CPU and is usually showing temperatures in the high 40s and low 50s, where is it on the board and is it a problem waiting to happen?

Does Gigabyte - which advises coming here for support - actually read any of this?

TIA
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:57:03 pm by boyscout »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:34:43 pm »
This is more a user to user forum. The best thing I would say is email or call support it self. The other thing get a really small fan  put over the top of the heat sinks on the board and that might help seen which one which. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
Answered my own question on this, the hard way!

Under loads ranging from idle to Portal 2 that #4 position was consistently 15-20 degrees Celsius hotter than anywhere else on the board even though it had a top-end Corsair water cooler on it and lots of fans elsewhere and it was never stressed.  Other than Portal 2 - which doesn't seem to work the machine very hard - I do documents and spreadsheets!

And the board eventually blew up, will be going back to Gigabyte for warranty.  Twice, on cold startup in the morning, the system BIOS lost its brains, could not access boot devices, had to reflash BIOS.

The same CPU, and the same water cooler, are now on an Asus Maximus VIII Extreme board and the CPU temp and all other temps at idle are hovering in the low 30's.

The temperature disparity on the Gibabyte board was there from the beginning.  It seems likely that as I feared it was a warning sign of a problem with the board.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:55:05 pm by boyscout »