Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55W-V4 - buzzing in headphones. Electromagnetic Interference or dodgy unit?

Hi,

Specs:
CPU: i7-5700HQ
GPU: GTX 970M
Ram: 8gb
1TB HDD & 128GB SSD

This brand new laptop arrived today; I noticed that when plugging in headphones (I tried many varieties) there is a quiet high pitched screeching sound. It seems a lot like EMI because it varies when the power cable & usb-mouse cable are plugged in. The buzzing never goes away, just changes in pitch/pattern when various cables are in or out.

I would jump to the conclusion that it is EMI, however I haven't found a single other person on the internet who mentions this issue. Its incredibly offputting I can't see how it went through reviews unnoticed. Has anyone had a similar experience with a Gigabyte laptop (or this model)?

Mikem9

Hi,

Specs:
1TB HDD & 128GB SSD

This brand new laptop arrived today; I noticed that when plugging in headphones (I tried many varieties) there is a quiet high pitched screeching sound. It seems a lot like EMI because it varies when the power cable & usb-mouse cable are plugged in. The buzzing never goes away, just changes in pitch/pattern when various cables are in or out.

I would jump to the conclusion that it is EMI, however I haven't found a single other person on the internet who mentions this issue. Its incredibly offputting I can't see how it went through reviews unnoticed. Has anyone had a similar experience with a Gigabyte laptop (or this model)?

I'm having this exact same issue and it's completely unbearable. Even with other devices (usb's, charger) disconnected, i'm still getting what sounds like unwanted electrical noise.

Any suggestions would be awesome

Hi,

Specs:
1TB HDD & 128GB SSD

this the answer I found online: If the laptop is plugged in for AC power, the buzz could be due to a ground-loop between the laptop, the amplifier and power wiring. If this is the case, unplugging the laptop's power cable will stop the buzz. The (other) fix in this case would be to connect the laptop's power brick to the same power bar as the amplifier to minimize difference in ground voltages between pieces of equipment. Another possibility would be to install a direct ground wire between the amplifier and laptop if the laptop has a grounded metal surface with a screw you could connect a cable to. ( so in a short answer return it or send it for repair)

Mikem9

Exact same issue here.

Had the laptop replaced with the same model and still the same issue occurs. I might switch this one out with one of the msi's of similar build. Opened it up and was looking to shield a few parts though it looked a bit to finicky to go through. Had emailed gigabyte who simply advised to go for a replacement or sent it in for repair, though very much doubt they'd be able to fix it given it's widespread..

I had the same issue with v-moda m100 headphones. Strangely I didn't have the issues with my ATH-m50x headphones. The headphones have removable 3.5mm cords and it seems to be worse with the v-moda braided cloth cord than when I switched it out for cheap skullcandy rubber coated cords (perhaps the skullcandy cords are of lower quality and don't pick up the static).

I never got the problem to go away 100%, but I got 90% of it to go away (it went from unbearable to bearable). When I opened up the back, I noticed a wire taped over the 3.5mm headphone jack box (it went from the motherboard to I think a fan past the 3.5mm port). I moved the wire off from ontop of the box to around it so it didn't touch the box and it seemed to help a lot.

I hope this helps. I couldn't find anything helpful on the Internet either. If anyone figures out a way to shield some parts that would be great.

Oh I have a p34w-v5.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:09:32 am by ehou333 »