Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-Gaming-7 and m.2 drives: which slot is best for a boot drive?

I have the Gaming-7 motherboard with a MyDigitalSSD 240GB SSD m.2 drive installed in the M2D_32G slot (the slot closest to the CPU), and it is my boot drive. I only have one graphics card installed (GTX 970) and it is in the top PCI Express x16 slot. I have MS Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) installed. Everything is working well except the boot time is very long - almost 50 seconds until the Windows screen pops up. The BIOS (F6) is default - I have not set up 'Speedy BIOS' or anything.

Just wondering if there is a difference between using the 32G slot versus the 32H slot for the m.2 drive. I've read that it might be problematic as the m.2 drive and the graphics card are sharing the same pipelines?

Would my PC run faster/better if I moved the boot drive from 32G to 32H? This is my first build with m.2 drives and I don't really understand the 'pipelines' business. The Gigabyte manual didn't state a preference in slot usage, at least not that I could see (pgs 31-32).

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
When you installed windows did you have the disk in the drive and set it to the UEFI dvd. Plus use the M2H slot because you will not lose any sata ports. If you use the M2D slot you lose two sata ports.

You will be fine with using a video card and a M2 drive. Plus windows 7 can be setup using the UEFI but it really doesn't support like windows 8 & 10. I had a GA-Z170X-Gaming-3 that would boot in about 20 to 25 sec setup that way with windows 7.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Quitis

@OP, the problem with your speed is that you're not taking advantage of your M.2 ports with a SATA3 SSD (6gb/s). You really need a PCIe x4 SSD if you want better boot speeds (32gb/s).

@OP and @dmdilks, it doesn't matter one bit whether you use M2H_32G or M2D_32G slot. In this case I recommend using M2D_32G because as a SATA3 SSD you will only be losing one SATA3 port, SATA3_3, and its corresponding SATAe is disabled. If you stick it into M2H_32G you will lose an entire PCIe x16 slot, PCIEX16_3, but its the slow one with only x4 lanes of PCIe. Either way will work however and will not impact system performance in anyway shape or form though since you're not using either of those things at this point. There are more than enough PCIe lanes to cover your video card, PCIEX16_1 and your other SATA devices, SATA3_0 through SATA3_7, minus that one SATA3_3 if you use M2D_32G.

@dmdilks, there are zero compatibility issues with a SATA3 SSD in an M.2 slot with Windows 7 64 bit. You only get into compatibility problems with Win7 if you are trying to setup an NVMe SSD.

@OP, speaking of different types of PCIe SSD's, if you do plan on upgrading I suggest getting an NVMe instead of an AHCI SSD. They will actually take full advantage of the 32g/s speeds of the M.2 PCIe Gen3 ports on this motherboard thus providing you with the absolute best possible boot speeds.  Also if you do go this route, at that point I recommend using M2H_32G over M2D_32G because screw losing four SATA3 ports over a useless PCIe x16 slot that runs in x4 mode.

Thank you both for the information. M.2 drives are still new to me - I wish I'd known about getting an NVMe drive before purchasing the MyDigitalSSD drive. But live and learn!