Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97X-SLI video card compatibility issue?

SithX

GA-Z97X-SLI video card compatibility issue?
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:02:28 pm »
So I have the Z97X-SLI Motherboard, and it has worked great for about two years. Just recently it started freezing on boot up with a black screen showing a blinking cursor and a mouse pointer. Keyboard wouldn't register to let me into the bios. I removed the video card and it booted with onboard graphics. I tried again with the vid card, and it did the same cursor issue. I swapped the card to the other PCI-E slot, and it booted. Everything ran pretty much perfect when I got it up and running. The problem then occured when I went to boot it up again later. Same cursor and pointer issue.
Swapped the vid card to the other PCI-E slot and it booted. I tried replacing the vid card (980 GTX) and have the same problem with the brand new card. I tried getting a new power supply wondering if it was just failing to generate enough power to kick over. Now, I don't even see the blinking cursor, just a black screen. Swapping PCI-E slots still lets it boot up. As I have my system set up for liquid cooling I really don't want to swap the mobo, but I am out of ideas as to anything else it may be.

My system is:
i7-4790k (even though I am not overclocking it) 4.0GHz
16GB Ram
980GTX
850W power supply