Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 BIOS F4 & RAM issues

GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 BIOS F4 & RAM issues
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:34:23 am »
Hi!
Without any reason I decided to update my BIOS to version F4 (2016/03/10)… because you know, it’s cool to do it. I did it through Gigabyte WIN 10 software, everything went well till reboot. After flashing, the board was locked in an infinite boot loop. No POST, no beep but lights and fans were on. Nothing was happening and every 20 seconds it would reboot again.

First I tried to clear CMOS, no luck. Tried removing the battery, nope. I knew about the dual bios thing on this board so I looked for a way to actually use that second BIOS and I came across this thread were they talked about shorting two pins in the main BIOS in order to let the second BIOS kick in:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/33904-how-fix-dead-dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html

Tried that, no luck. In that same thread they talked about shorting another pair of pins but they warn that it can fry your board if you miss the right one. Just before transforming my board in a BBQ, I did what’s recommended in this situations: leave only one RAM and disconnect everything else (SDD,GPU,xtra RAM). Doing that, brought my board back to life! Not sure why I didn’t do that on the first place… anyway.

I went straight to the BIOS setup and I noticed that the F4 BIOS was flashed correctly but decided to flash it back to F1. Flash went OK, I powered off, connected the SSD and I was back in Windows. Next step was to add the GPU & RAMs. Did that and I was back to the boot loop! WTF?!
In a nutshell, RAM was the issue. I was using 2 DIMMs in dual channel using the red slots. Solution was to move them to the black slots.

IMHO this makes no sense.
Let me remind you that at this point I was back using the same BIOS version (F1) and BIOS setup profile as I’ve been using for the last 6 months… but now, memory on the black slots.

Any idea what happened here? Everything is running fine now but with the DIMMs on the black slot, if I moved both to the red channel, it dies. If I leave only one on a red channel, all good.
BTW, RAM is HyperX Fury 2x8Gb.

Cheers.