Official GIGABYTE Forum

Strange boot loop after months of normal use

p014k

Strange boot loop after months of normal use
« on: July 14, 2016, 12:36:57 am »
Hello,

I have a GA-X99-UD3 running Windows 7. I built this PC months ago and it was working fine until last night.

On boot, the MOBO splash screen shows up and it proceeds to boot normally. The Windows 7 splash animation shows up but the boot doesn't continue any further. The fans slowly reduce in speed and after a minute it restarts.
The same thing happens when I try advanced startup options and choose anything except safe mode. Safe mode works perfectly fine.
I tried booting the Windows 7 installation disc to run a chkdsk off of the CDROM, but the same boot loop occurs right after the "Windows is loading files" splash screen.

I've read many different solutions to boot loop problems online, but none of them cover this particular scenario. I thought for sure I would be able to boot off the CDROM. I haven't installed any new devices or anything that might cause an issue.

Thanks.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Strange boot loop after months of normal use
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:44:17 pm »
Did you just do some updates like drivers. If so it is a driver that causing the problem. You said you can boot into Safe mode. When you boot into safe mode you are not using some of your drivers.

When a computer boots it does many step to get you into windows. At the windows logo screen that is when all your drivers are loaded. So windows doesn't like some thing and that is why it reboots.

Plus it might be even a windows update too. Check to see if any of those are causing the problem too. Plus one other thing is don't let windows do any hardware driver updates. I seen in the past where that can cause a problem too. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

p014k

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 01:47:00 pm »
No new drivers were installed to my knowledge. I did try using system restore in safe mode and restored to several previous dates, but that didn't help.

I also tried booting an Ubuntu Live CD and it also restarts right after the splash screen.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:18:52 pm »
Try to use a different hard drive. Disconnect the drive you are using now for windows. Reinstall windows just to see if it will work & load the drivers. Because you can get in to safe mode. When you can do that it is telling you that it is a driver problem. Now I don't under stand Ubuntu Live CD. Disconnect the windows hard drive and see what happens.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

p014k

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:38:26 pm »
Problem Solved

The issue was that the Mobo lost it's settings (perhaps due to a power surge or something). One of the settings it lost was the XMP. Enabling XMP allowed the DDR4 RAM to run at nominal frequency and fixed the issue.

Still doesn't explain why I was able to get into Windows Safe Mode but not boot off a Live CD.

Thank You all for your input.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:39:27 pm by p014k »