Official GIGABYTE Forum

[990XA-UD3] Windows won't boot after @BIOS update

Amic

[990XA-UD3] Windows won't boot after @BIOS update
« on: August 09, 2016, 02:16:16 pm »
Hello everyone,

One day I decided to update to a new BIOS version via @BIOS, because I was planning to overclock a CPU, and I thought it would be best to update BIOS to the latest version.

As said before, I used official utility called @BIOS, which found the latest version for my 990XA-UD3 motherboard.
I remember it warned me, that if I choose the wrong model, the system would not boot after the update. But as there was only one model that the program detected in my computer, I clicked that one and only option.

After the installation, the program asked me to restart computer, so I did, but after that, I can't get to Windows.

So after turning the PC on, I see BIOS screen (with Gigabyte logo and all buttons to press to get to BIOS, Q-flash and others..). The screen goes black for a while, and the Windows 7 loading logo shows, and after few seconds, the screen freezes, shows a BSoD with 0x00..7b error code, and the process repeats till I power off the PC.

Note that I can get into BIOS and all other menus, it doesn't tell me that BIOS is corrupted, or anything else.

I contacted the technical support, and they told me to flash it to either new version they sent me (FEi), or to the older version (FB) with Q-Flash. This didn't fix the issue. People also said to try and change SATA settings from AHCI to IDE or vice versa. Didn't help either.

I literally tried everything that I found on the Internet, and I don't know what other options I have other than buying new motherboard. I thought that maybe since BIOS and everything else works fine, the issue could actually be with Windows, so maybe I should make a fresh install, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any other tips I can try?

Thanks.

PC specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: GTX 660
Storage: Seagate HDD 1 TB, Samsung SSD 250 GB (where OS is installed)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4 GB
Motherboard: 990XA-UD3

AgentFXA

• none
Re: [990XA-UD3] Windows won't boot after @BIOS update
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 12:10:23 am »
Try a W7 repair-boot by loading from the OS DVD - Repair computer/ Startup repair .. should fix the issue

(..and btw never flash a bios with an OC'ed machine)
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

regit

• Donate me: https://www.paypal.me/regit66
Re: [990XA-UD3] Windows won't boot after @BIOS update
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:37:50 pm »
Hello everyone,

One day I decided to update to a new BIOS version via @BIOS, because I was planning to overclock a CPU, and I thought it would be best to update BIOS to the latest version.

As said before, I used official utility called @BIOS, which found the latest version for my 990XA-UD3 motherboard.
I remember it warned me, that if I choose the wrong model, the system would not boot after the update. But as there was only one model that the program detected in my computer, I clicked that one and only option.

After the installation, the program asked me to restart computer, so I did, but after that, I can't get to Windows.

So after turning the PC on, I see BIOS screen (with Gigabyte logo and all buttons to press to get to BIOS, Q-flash and others..). The screen goes black for a while, and the Windows 7 loading logo shows, and after few seconds, the screen freezes, shows a BSoD with 0x00..7b error code, and the process repeats till I power off the PC.

Note that I can get into BIOS and all other menus, it doesn't tell me that BIOS is corrupted, or anything else.

I contacted the technical support, and they told me to flash it to either new version they sent me (FEi), or to the older version (FB) with Q-Flash. This didn't fix the issue. People also said to try and change SATA settings from AHCI to IDE or vice versa. Didn't help either.

I literally tried everything that I found on the Internet, and I don't know what other options I have other than buying new motherboard. I thought that maybe since BIOS and everything else works fine, the issue could actually be with Windows, so maybe I should make a fresh install, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any other tips I can try?

Thanks.

PC specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: GTX 660
Storage: Seagate HDD 1 TB, Samsung SSD 250 GB (where OS is installed)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4 GB
Motherboard: 990XA-UD3
You change only ahci but you must
Change to ahci and controler from ide to sata