Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can't get ram to work

Can't get ram to work
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:01:17 pm »
Hello all,

I did a search and have been looking around the net but can't seem to find anything that helps me.

I recently purchased a used computer for my brother. It has the GA-H55M-S2V MOBO rev 1.3 with a intel i3 540 chip. it has 2 x 2GB ram sticks that work. I don't even recall the brands but they are a mix.

I at first purchased a Patriot PSD38G16002. It's a single 8GB memory stick. I was planning on just using it by itself. I didn't do any checking on compatibility beforehand because the couple times in the past I have add memory I didn't have any issues. I tried it by itself in both slots and also with one of the sticks of memory that was already in there and no configuration seems to work. So I returned it.

I then purchased a two pack set Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. Which does say it's compatible on the Corsair website I also called Corsair and they said it should work. Suffice to say it won't get past the loading windows screen. I also tried these together, by themselves and in configurations with the memory that works. I have played around with the BIOs a bit but its all pretty new to me. I have loaded optimal settings and fail safe settings and played around with the settings regarding RAM in the BIOS.

Im just wondering if I can maybe get some guidance on what to do next? Or maybe it's just not going to work?

I don't believe I can return this RAM as it's opened.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I thought the REV 1.3 was the BIOS version however I just noticed that it's the board version. I guess tonight when I have access to the computer again I will check and see what BIOS it has. Of course I will make sure it has the latest BIOS but in the meantime any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:17:04 pm by mdsjohna »

Re: Can't get ram to work
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:40:50 am »
I tried RAM out of my other PC. Didn't work. I'm just going to leave the 4 gb that's in there and call it a day.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:41:29 am by mdsjohna »

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »
Hello,

The BIOS screenshots (1st one) shows that the CPU settings / memory settings are wrong?

Press F7 to load optimised defaults, Save and Exit.
Enter the BIOS again and take 1 more screenshot so we can compare the differences.
Most of those settings should be on AUTO and the BLK Frequency should be 133Mhz.

Did you change those?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:18:33 pm by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 12:43:48 pm »
Those are the settings I needed to run to get the Corsair ram to show as 1600. I tried with the optimized defaults as well and the fail safe defaults it did change a lot of that to auto but it still didn't work. I also tried to set those timings manually to the number shown on the left of the second screen shot which are the timings specs of the ram. Still didn't help.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:47:08 pm by mdsjohna »

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:25:46 pm »
Your CPU maximum supported memory frequency is 1333Mhz so to keep things simple, the memory kit you have does it function perfectly fine at 1333Mhz with everything in your BIOS at default settings?

Yes = normal and a good thing.
My PC is evolving

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:27 pm »
The ram it came with works at 1333 fine.

I am not 100% sure because I was trying all sorts of things including the fail safe and optimum settings but I believe I tried running the upgrade sticks at 1333 and it didn't work. Some of the ram even though it was 1600 defaulted to 1333. I believe the Corsair sticks defaulted to 1600. So in that case I might have to change BIOS settings to downgrade to 1333? I will confirm and try these leads in about 8 hours when I have access to the computer again.

I definitely didn't know about the max supported memory of that chip. I had asked Corsair tech if the processor mattered and he said no. But it sounds like it might when it comes to BIOS settings. Will let you know.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:49:15 pm by mdsjohna »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 03:53:42 pm »
I definitely didn't know about the max supported memory of that chip. I had asked Corsair tech if the processor mattered and he said no. But it sounds like it might when it comes to BIOS settings. Will let you know.

I'm not pointing this at you, but that is what is wrong the computer world. Most people don't look at what the CPU and what it will really support. A lot of things with motherboards are miss leading and a lot of people fall into that trap.

Plus the other thing to for it to run in a profile that is the memory has to support XMP. If it doesn't than you have to go by another route. That is changing speed, timings, volts, and maybe even OC the CPU a little. To get the memory to run at that speed.

The reason I said the motherboards are miss leading is people look at a board. It will say that you can run all this memory but most people don't look at what it is saying. Anything pass 1333 has to be (OC) overclock.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:10:36 pm »
I believe the Corsair sticks defaulted to 1600. So in that case I might have to change BIOS settings to downgrade to 1333? I will confirm and try these leads in about 8 hours when I have access to the computer again.

Yes double check this, the Corsair kit is designed to run at 1333Mhz as standard. All memory kits come with a profile which tells the motherboard what to run frequency at / set the timings to. By design on DDR3 most kits use a compatibility profile and that is always 1333Mhz.

See here where is says SPD speed = 1333Mhz
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9
This means if your motherboard is on 100% AUTO settings it should run at 1333Mhz.

Will wait for your results :)
My PC is evolving

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »

I'm not pointing this at you, but that is what is wrong the computer world. Most people don't look at what the CPU and what it will really support. A lot of things with motherboards are miss leading and a lot of people fall into that trap.

Plus the other thing to for it to run in a profile that is the memory has to support XMP. If it doesn't than you have to go by another route. That is changing speed, timings, volts, and maybe even OC the CPU a little. To get the memory to run at that speed.

The reason I said the motherboards are miss leading is people look at a board. It will say that you can run all this memory but most people don't look at what it is saying. Anything pass 1333 has to be (OC) overclock.

Hey everyone starts somewhere and I have heard the saying "you don't know what you don't know." Anyway I did know enough to ask about the processor and was told it didn't matter.

This is my first time playing around in a non-oem BIOS so I am learning as I go.

The first set of RAM I tried was a 1600 but the BIOS defaulted it to 1333 under Auto settings. I had to change the BLCK up (which I had never heard off before) and change the CPU clock ratio down to get it to run at stock 3.04 to get the RAM to run at 1600 (which I now learn is not supported).

I believe the Corsair RAM defaulted to 1600 and even opened up an XMP option in the BIOS that didn't even show before.

So just to confirm what I am doing tonight is as follows. I will install the CORSAIR RAM and in the BIOS if the "Auto" settings show the ram running at 1600 I need to change the system memory multiplier down to get it to show 1333?
If it defaults to 1333 ill just try it. Though this seems such like such a basic thing to do I must have tried it. But can't specify recall running it at 1333. Here's hoping it is something as simple as that.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:27:31 pm by mdsjohna »

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 12:41:12 am »
On fully automatic running at 1333 it actually reboots. The way I had it before it would freeze at loading Windows and I would have to do a hard reset with the button.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 12:03:53 pm »
Hmm, can you ask the Corsair tech support about the memory package chip density?

Your CPU / Chipset (motherboard) only supports a 2Gbit chip density.
This is when you sometimes see 256Mx8 x16.

To make sense of this, imagine two 4GB memory sticks.

One has 16 chips on the circuit board (PCB) each 256MB in size.
The other has 8 chips each 512MB in size.

Both are 4GB but the chip density are different.

My PC is evolving

phantom_x

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 09:05:06 pm »
Hello all,

I did a search and have been looking around the net but can't seem to find anything that helps me.

I recently purchased a used computer for my brother. It has the GA-H55M-S2V MOBO rev 1.3 with a intel i3 540 chip. it has 2 x 2GB ram sticks that work. I don't even recall the brands but they are a mix.
I'm afraid u didn't search throughly.. 
actually I'd replied this similar issue too many times in this forum,since 2013.
and nobody ever give a "thumbs up"yet ,but got a warning from the administor..  :o

My last replies is : http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=17042.0
Hi,  i knew this topic is a little old.    ;D

For first generation i7/i5/i3.
The max RAM module u can use is 4GB (sixteen 256 M X 8 ) ,which is very rare in the market now , unless u buy the second hand module.
the speed (eg: 1600Mhz, 1333Mhz,...etc) is not really a issue here.
Pls be noticed that ,the latest 4GB DDR3 with DRAM Organization eight 512M x8 won't work with your pc. (so, 8GB with sixteen 512M x8  won't work either)

p/s: please click the thumb up , if anyone think this info is useful. thanks alotx.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:13:38 pm by phantom_x »

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 09:48:52 pm »
Hello all,

I'm afraid u didn't search throughly.. 
actually I'd replied this similar issue too many times in this forum,since 2013.
and got a warning from the administor..

My last replies is : http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=17042.0
Hi,  i knew this topic is a little old.    ;D

For first generation i7/i5/i3.
The max RAM module u can use is 4GB (sixteen 256 M X 8 ) ,which is very rare in the market now , unless u buy the second hand module.
the speed (eg: 1600Mhz, 1333Mhz,...etc) is not really a issue here.
Pls be noticed that ,the latest 4GB DDR3 with DRAM Organization eight 512M x8 won't work with your pc. (so, 8GB with sixteen 512M x8  won't work either)

p/s: please click the thumb up , if anyone think this info is useful. thanks alotx.

Umm yes I did search thoroughly. I spent a few hours trying to figure this out before I posted here. Plus how would I find your post since it is a different motherboard? Likely even if I did find the post you are referencing I didn't have the knowledge to understand it. I had never heard of chip density until a poster here before you brought it up. Never mind the fact Corsair says the sticks I purchased are compatible. This is why I posted here to get people more knowledgeable to help. Thanks for trying though. I gave up on increasing the ram in his computer.

Since I am not happy with the performance he is getting I am going to take this opportunity to learn and the plan is to get a new mother board and cpu and try installing that as well as giving him my old video card and upgrading my own.