Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170N-WiFi (v1.0): DVD Autoplay and DVD Boot Issues

Fanless

• Going fanless is freeing one's soul
GA-Z170N-WiFi (v1.0): DVD Autoplay and DVD Boot Issues
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:43:46 pm »
I'm new to Gigabyte MBs, but not a novice at building PCs from scratch.
I scoured FAQ and Searched for similar issues, but nothing helps me yet.
So here's a summary of my issues:
- When inserting a DVD disk, it won't autoplay
- With boot disk in DVD, it won't boot to disk, it just boots to Windows 10
- In BIOS (UEFI actually) the DVD is not listed or available as a boot device

Details:
- PC is a new self-build fanless machine with a clean install of Windows 10, 64b, Pro (from USB)
- Motherboard is mini-ITX Gigabyte Z170N-WiFi rev 1.0, not the latest one (2.0)
- Intel i5-6500 processor with NoFan CR-80EH cooler
- RAM is 16GB (2x8); no external video card;  fanless Thermaltake TR2-600W power supply
- Internal DVD drive is Optiarc CD/DVD RW: AD-7420S (SATA), on MB SATA Port 0
- 2 SSDs (SATA ports 2 and 3) are configured in UEFI RAID 1 array (not Legacy ROM type), using Intel Rapid Storage Technology
- Latest firmware is installed in DVD drive (v1.04), taken from Sony/Optiarc site
- DVD drive exists in Win10 device Mgr" and in "This PC"
- In "Device Mgr", there are no IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, so nothing to uninstall there
- When inserting a disk, it won't autoplay
- It will play 50% of the time when manually opened with VLC Media Player, and even then it acts sluggish and it takes 15~30 sec to start playing
- With boot disk in DVD, it won't boot to disk, it just boots to Windows 10
- In BIOS (UEFI actually) the DVD is not listed or available as a boot device, but does exist in SATA Configuration page
- BIOS firmware has already been upgraded to version F7 on the MB
- In BIOS setup:
-- Boot Option #1 = Windows Boot Mgr (Intel Volume1), which is the RAID 1 array
-- Boot Option #2 = Not Available
-- Boot Option #3 = Not Available
-- Security Option = System
-- Fast Boot = Disabled
-- Windows 8/10 Features = Windows 8/10  (per MB instructions during UEFI RAID setup)
-- CSM Support = Disabled    (per MB instructions during UEFI RAID setup)
-- Network Stack = Disabled
-- System Mode State = Setup
-- Secure Boot State = Disabled
-- Secure Boot = Disabled

- IntelBurnTestV2 showed no PC HW issues (70C max temp on CPU, using HWMonitor_x64)
- "Use autoplay for all media devices" is enabled in Win 10 settings, and video media is configured to start via VLC Media Player
- A borrowed external USB DVD drive works fine in Windows 10 (didn't try it as a boot drive, but I don't have trouble booting from USB flash drives)
- Already performed the 3 steps of: http://www.troublefixers.org/windows/fix-cddvd-drive-not-detected-or-working-in-windows-10/624/ so no Register issues

Nothing has worked for me to date.  Appreciate some expertise.  Thanks in advance.
I'm here because someone is stuck...probably me.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: GA-Z170N-WiFi (v1.0): DVD Autoplay and DVD Boot Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:17 am »
I suspect this likely has to do with age and compatibility.  I know it works great, but it is EOL.

http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/endoflifeproducts/dvddrives/desktop/ad7240s.html

After BIOS update did you reset the BIOS to defaults?

If not, please do so, then F10 to save and re-enter BIOS upon the machine restart.  Does the drive now appear in SATA Devices and in Boot Order Options?

Try connecting with a different SATA cable.
Try connecting to a different SATA Port.

Does this change anything?

Firmware update.  On DVD drives, updated FW usually only adds support for newer media types and not device compatibility.  If it works fine elsewhere and a different cable/port doesn't help, I'd start looking at a new BlueRay or DVD drive as you have already updated your BIOS and the devices FW.   
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Fanless

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:59:55 am »
Thanks shadowsports.  I hadn't reset the BIOS after upgrading to F7, so I tried that.  Of course, doing so forced me to lose my RAID 1 setup and therefore everything on the SSDs was lost.  I figured that would happen, but it wasn't difficult to start over again on a new install.  After doing so, the ODD came up as boot option "UEFI DVD", so it showed promise.  In fact, it was the only boot option prior to installing Win10.  I was able to boot to my MiniTool disk utility boot CD in the drive.  After installing the OS however, the ODD was no longer a boot option.  The only boot option was Windows Boot Loader, and the DVD didn't work at all as a boot or as a DVD in Windows10.  So I uninstalled the DVD driver in Device Manager, shut it off, moved to SATA Port 6 with a new cable and re-booted.  No luck.  Same behavior.  My next step is to load all the MB drivers, since it seemed to help a little the 1st time I did this.  Of course, I have to put the entire disk(s) on USB, since my DVD doesn't work.  Stay tuned....

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:50:11 pm »
Well you have moved past the point of attempting recovery, so for next time with a RAID1....  After F10 and save, you would re-enter BIOS on subsequent restart and configure what was needed for boot (system to run).  I doubt your RAID1 was permanently lost.  Each disk has a full copy of the install, and can run independently of the other in "degraded" mode, the system can boot and run from one disk.  The same applies if you were upgrading the BIOS, as this would also force you to reset to BIOS (lose RAID config) and you would not be expected to lose your install for performing an upgrade.   

To recover from this.   

Re-mark the source and mirror disks in the BIOS again.  The RAID should recover and boot from the "Source" disk.  When set to RAID1 the controller knows when the "relationship" between the source and mirror is broken and these days, usually prompts to rebuild (re-sync) when you boot into the OS for the first time after such occurrence.  For next time  ;)

So you have something else going on which appears to be related to Secure Boot, CSM or other BIOS settings (like Windows 8/10 compatibility).  Seeing the "UEFI DVD:(prefix)" during install is correct, you want to chose the install with the UEFI  designation.  It disappearing after the install has to do with the boot manager and settings.  You can experiment with this.  There are no DVD specific drivers that will magically make the DVD appear in BIOS.  Its a BIOS level function, like a mouse or keyboard.  These devices self identify to the system.  Its likely a BIOS setting that you'll be able to figure out through trial and error.     Its sometimes helpful to make notes so you know what settings do and don't work together. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:07:59 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

Fanless

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:46:49 am »
I've solved the problem of my DVD not booting and not being available in Windows 10, at least to my satisfaction.  I purchased a new SATA DVD drive (LiteOn ATAPI iHAS324 F) and installed it in the same location (Port 0).  [If you recall, my 2 SSDs are in ports 2 & 3 as a UEFI RAID 1 config].  Windows 10 recognizes the LiteOn DVD drive and I'm able to watch movies, listen to CDs and load software drivers without waiting or wondering if it's going to work (after booting to Windows 10 environment).  No drivers needed and no register setting changes.  However, on the topic of booting from the DVD, it still didn't work at all and it wasn't available in the BIOS (UEFI) boot list, using F12.  This was the same issue as the old Optiarc DVD.  I agree with Shadowsports:  There was a GA-Z170N motherboard BIOS setting issue, not a Windows 10 issue.  So the 1st thing I tried did the trick.  Here are the changes to my original BIOS settings (shown in initial post above).  I did all 3 at the same time:
CSM Support:  Enabled
Storage Boot Option Control:  UEFI Only
Other PCIe Device ROM Priority:  UEFI Only

I'm not 100% sure that all three are necessary conditions, but I know they are sufficient.

Now, using F12 at boot, the DVD is shown as [PO: ATAPI iHAS324 F], along with the RAID 1 drive containing my OS.  I now can boot from the DVD drive.  I would've preferred it to say [UEFI:...], but I'm happy with PO, as long as it works.  Thanks for the help Shadowsports.

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 03:11:17 pm »
Good Work!  :)  Glad you figured it out.