Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA B85M-DS3H rev. 1.1 + Pentium AE G3258 + Windows 10 Overclocking Problem

aKp1

Hello GB Forum!
I've got a gigabyte GA B85M-DS3H rev. 1.1 mobo
Also I've got Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258 and recently I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1!
This mobo used to juice out 4.1GHz out of the Pentium when I was WIndows 8.1!
But while updating to Windows 10, it gave me problem! At first it wasn't booting at all and refusing to install it! So I dug up something which lead me to updating my BiOS! So I downloaded this BIOS
F8 which says "Update CPU microcode for win10 support with Pentium AE"
Then I was finally able to update windows!
But now it seems I have lost the ability to overclock! No matter what settings I set, it crashes almost immediately!
When I tried going back to Windows 8.1 and then overclock, it again reaches 4.1GHz easily!
But not with Windows 10!
Can someone suggest what can be done to overclock again on windows 10!?
I am looking in downgrading the bios too if needed but I need overclock!

Hello,

Your OC is this done within the BIOS or are you using software once in Windows?
If software, why not use the BIOS.
My PC is evolving

aKp1

Hello,

Your OC is this done within the BIOS or are you using software once in Windows?
If software, why not use the BIOS.

I have always used BIOS to tune up the settings!
But since I have updated the bios and upgraded to Windows 10, no matter what small change I do in the BiOS, the Windows will not boot at all!
And since it was not working in the BIOS, I also used the Gigabyte EASYTUNE to OC, but it just reverts back to original settings and there is no overclock!

I used to get 4.1GHz very easily with no hassle!

There are 2 issues which limit overclocking,
1 = Microcode update / Windows 10
2 = Intel update to prevent non Z chipsets from overclocking.

Try this one (there is an easier way to rename the file (boot to a ubuntu Live CD).
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-upgrade-fails-with-0xc1900101-0x20017/db224756-027e-4a5c-83a8-0c8edd156e55?auth=1

If this does not help then you will have to consider the BIOS update being part of the problem.
My PC is evolving

aKp1

I followed the above procedure but it doesn't seem to work! Previously it was working when I was older bios! Since I am on the latest bios, this has been a problem!

So it does seem that the problem was the bios upgrade! What should I do now? Downgrade the bios?

Hello,

Depends on the BIOS, if you go back to the older BIOS it may not change the microcode update plus Windows 10 can also do this through Windows update automatically.

I would suggest you downgrade the BIOS.
My PC is evolving