Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55-USB3 Rev 2.0 compatibility with upgrades and Windows 10

ABully

GA-P55-USB3 Rev 2.0 compatibility with upgrades and Windows 10
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:00:58 pm »
Hello Folks,
visiting here after ages!!!
My rig has been running smooth for the past 6 years all thanks to forums like this...
Now with Windows 10 install in mind, I decided to upgrade few components and would like to get recommendations from all here. I'm not a gamer anymore; mostly use it for movies, music, photos, browsing, iPhone update etc but use it daily for good 8 - 10 hours on average. It plays on a Samsung 65 inch 4K TV. Cant remember the model but bought it during 2014 end of year sale.

Mobo - GA-P55-USB3 Rev 2.0. I would like to keep the mobo but just wanted to check if this is OK for Win 10.

CPU - i5 760, Lynnfield. Would like to keep it.

RAM - Patriot 2 X 2 GB DDR3 Dual Chanel Ram. Guess i can add 2 X 4 GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0FU45P7634). Please suggest if this is compatible with the mobo.

Graphics - Ditching the XFX Radeon 4670 HD. Eyeing a decent budget card with DirectX 12 support like GT 730. My only worry is they run 2 GB GDDR5 memory and was wondering if it will run in my rig. If not i could settle for GT 710 2 GB DDR3. Please suggest.

Hard Drive - Already bought and installed HyperX Predator PCIe SSD 240 GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104544) and now running Win 7 ultimate. Installed Win 10 earlier and found graphic card had issues and performance was a tad slow. I have an issue with the CMOS setup but I will run another thread for it. The old HDD is now a slave.

PSU - I have Gigabyte Superb GE-P450P-C2 550W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817233010). Think should be enough.

Any and all suggestions would help.

Thanks a bunch.

Tiger

Re: GA-P55-USB3 Rev 2.0 compatibility with upgrades and Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:12:48 pm »
Check Your Windows 10 Motherboard Compatibility Before Upgrading
http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/381/w10.html

Why is there no Windows 10 driver for some motherboards provided on the Gigabyte official site?

If the model name of your motherboard is not included in the list, or Windows 10 drivers for your motherboard are not provided on the Gigabyte support site, it means your motherboard might not be able to support Windows 10.

You can also try to use the Windows Update to install the driver provided by Microsoft official site.

As far as adding memory to existing memory, it is not guaranteed to be compatible. If you want to do your own compatibility testing then you can try adding to existing memory, use multiple kits, or use multiple single modules. Only kits are guaranteed for compatibility and have already been tested at the factory.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:14:14 pm by Tiger »
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

ABully

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:44:49 pm »
Thanks Tiger.

My chip set family is not listed but I did run Windows 10 and found only the graphics card to be non compatible. Everything else worked albeit for a day.

phantom_x

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:28:20 pm »
Thanks Tiger.

My chip set family is not listed but I did run Windows 10 and found only the graphics card to be non compatible. Everything else worked albeit for a day.
yes, your  motherboad GA-P55-USB3  should be fine with win10.

I have a GA-H55M-USB3 ,is fine with win10 (including the USB3 port)
SSD: Plextor M5P and SAMSUNG 850 evo  (with latest mobo bios which is F11@2010 and SATA is set to  AHCI)
the only downside obviously is , unable to take the  benefit from the UEFI .but, it is not a big deal ...

windows 10 will install regarding drivers by itself:
Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 5 Series / 3400 Series Chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller
USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller  -0.xx (Microsoft)

GA-P55-USB3 Rev 2.0 Only restart freezing at BIOS Splash
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:37:38 pm »
Hi guys

My rig is 6 years old with GA-P55-USB3 Rev 2.0 mobo and i5 760. I recently purchased HyperX PCIE 2.0 SSD SHPM2280P2H 240 GB. Fresh installed Windows 10 without removing the old HDD with Windows 7 (realized the mistake later). Everything went fine except for the boot startup asking which OS to choose. Once Win 10 loaded, found the desktop edges were cut at all four sides. I knew scaling option in the Radeon Catalyst software in Win 7 but unfortunately the graphic I have doesnt support Win 10. Bummer.

Went back to Win 7 ultimate on the SSD and after a few hiccups now running alright. Except for the restart - If i restart from windows, it shuts down properly and then comes up to the Gigabyte BIOS Flash screen and hangs. Frozen for ever. I hit the power button to switch off and then back on and it works fine. If I shut down the PC from Windows, it starts normally. Just freezes during restart.

From what I could find online from various forums, I guess it could be something to do with the BIOS settings. I did change a few values after i installed the SSD like SATA control mode to AHCI. Probably switched to defaults on some screens as well.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this windows restart freeze part.

Thanks a bunch.

Regarding ur freeze issue. Not so sure about that.
I think ,  u can try to:
1) ensure u r already using the latest BIOS (pls using the correct bios of your mobo revision)
2) borrow another powersupply  and try it. ( power supply will aging, u know...)
3) borrow another graphic card ( that support windows 10 and support legacy bios of your mobo ).
   and hope the freeze issue will disappear . most of the newer graphic card will done well, btw, some of them will have compatible issue with legacy bios of the old motherboard.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:00:09 pm by phantom_x »

phantom_x

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:43:29 pm »
Graphics - Ditching the XFX Radeon 4670 HD. Eyeing a decent budget card with DirectX 12 support like GT 730. My only worry is they run 2 GB GDDR5 memory and was wondering if it will run in my rig. If not i could settle for GT 710 2 GB DDR3. Please suggest.
GT710 is... rubbish.. pls don't consider it.
I think u r confusing yourself with the memory type  of the Graphic Card and the mobotherboard. They r different actually...

RAM - Patriot 2 X 2 GB DDR3 Dual Chanel Ram. Guess i can add 2 X 4 GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0FU45P7634). Please suggest if this is compatible with the mobo.

i'm afraid this  new 2x4GB DDR3 might not compatible with your cpu+mobo .  had better try and error on the scene.

that's all i can tell, good luck.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:53:36 pm by phantom_x »