Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68X-UD5-B3, can't power on properly when PCI card fitted.

GA-Z68X-UD5-B3, can't power on properly when PCI card fitted.
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:46:51 am »
I'm trying to add a VideoMate C500 PCI capture card to a system I've built using a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3. Full spec is here:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/charitypc1.html

As my build log says atm, if I try to fit the C500 card into either of the PCI slots, when the power button is pressed there is a brief moment of activity before the system immediately shuts off again. I've checked the C500 card with a different system (an old P55 setup) and it works ok, so it's not the C500 itself. I couldn't find anything that might be relevant in the BIOS. Without the C500 fitted, the system appears to run fine (3DMark/CPU tests, etc.) The system does not yet have any overclock setup. Any ideas anyone? Right now the system just has a single GTX 980 fitted.

Thanks!!

Ian.

Elsie

Re: GA-Z68X-UD5-B3, can't power on properly when PCI card fitted.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:22:15 am »
Could the card be trying to draw too much power that the PSU can't handle? Maybe it was coping with your current (no joke intended) power needs but adding the new card took it past it's limits?

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 04:12:27 pm »

A PCI slot can supply more than enough power for a card of this kind (it doesn't use much). The PSU is a 1000W Modular (check the above link for full details). The PSU has been used to drive far more power-hungry setups in the past than this current config (I've tested dual-580s with it).

Note I've now added the 2nd GTX 980 and connected the final extra disk and SSD, all running fine, so it's not a power draw issue. I'm baffled.

Ian.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »
Hi Ian,

I had a similar issue when I had a Z68X motherboard, some years back and it was a BIOS issue. The only way that I managed to resolve it was to contact Gigabyte Tech support who sent me a tweaked BIOS to allow the PCI card to be recognised. My card was an M-Audio Delta 1010 though not a video card.

Not sure if they will still do that though as, when I had the issue, the Z68 boards were new and not regarded as old tech but you can always contact them and ask if it is possible.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 01:28:31 am »
Most interesting! Does anyone from Gigabyte read these forums? Or would I need
to contact them directly somehow?

Ian.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:14 am »
You would need to contact them through a support ticket.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx

This is basically a Gigabyte UK/Ireland user-to-user forum and although Gigabyte sponsor and maintain the site, they tend to observe rather than get involved.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 08:37:26 pm »
Ok thanks!! I'll give that a go.

Ian.