Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard and XMP Ram settings

oshb5

Motherboard and XMP Ram settings
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:02:45 am »
Hi All
Iv come back to building my own system after nearly 20 years. Culture shock is not the words LOL.
Back when I last built the CPU had the pins and the Freeq and Times where set via dip switches or hedder pins on the Mobo itself. And the power came from the long white socket (but we had just started to change over to the black ATX that is on the board But also there are another set now the ATX-12v-2x4 as well as the ATX 24pin? Do you use both these or? The manual does not make it quite clear?

Anyway the main reason for the post I was passed a i5-4690k CPU and from reading it was a good chip so the reason I thought about building a desktop. Then a friend sold me a set of 32Gb Kingstone HyperX Savage (4x8) 2400Mhz. And finally after much looking and the board I wanted going out of stock and not in for a while I bought the Gigabyte one the GA-Z97P-D3  Now iv been assured the ram will work in the board but will have to alter the XMP. This is where things start to go a lot fuzzy as there was none of this back then just a few simple tasks to set in the bios and away But now it looks like you can set almost anything in there With XMP being one of them that will need setting for me to run the ram smoothly?
Would it be possible for anyone to possibly help in the setting up of teh Bios for this ram please?

Also is there any other settings I might need to set for instance with the CPU or the graphics card I have . Its only a small GTX 960. So if anyone can help at all it would be great as well as getting this old grey matter posting again.
Iv had bits given, bought and bought for me. Everything is now here its time to build....

Many thanks to everyone OS

P.S. Iv been so down for so long We are just hoping this project can start to pull me out of the depths. Thank you all.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Motherboard and XMP Ram settings
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:41:59 pm »
1st thing you CPU really only supports 1600 memory. You might have to OC your cpu a little and set the speed & timings manually. Does the memory run at default setting at 1333 or 1600?

Yes it is nice you have 2400 memory but there really isn't any speed boost when you try to run them 2400. You really be better off going with 1600 with 9-9-9-24 cas then what you are using now. They would will run faster then the 2400.   
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Motherboard and XMP Ram settings
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:55:48 pm »
XMP profiles use a pre-defined set of parameters that are actually built into the JDEC chip on newer memory.  When a XMP profile exists, it often allows the memory to run at or above its rated SPD speed and default voltage.  It can also work in conjunction with turbo boost and CPU stepping to enhance performance.

There are a lot of things that come into play when you have to make manually settings.  Your BIOS rev, CPU and memory dictate what may or may not work.  Some RAM, even if on the QVL for a board requires that the CPU and it be overclocked for the system to run stable.

You typically disable XMP when setting your memory manually since this is not dynamic in nature.  When you have a system that won't POST, many have been successful setting memory parameters manually using just one stick of RAM, then making adjustments till the right combination is found.  What I'm saying is..  there is no magic pill for this, one setting that guarantees compatibility.  You may have to spend some time messing with it, or just buy 1600Mhz RAM and call it a day.   Your 4th gen Devils Canyon 4690k CPU is friendly to this, but Kingston sometimes does weird stuff with their memory, like making its default SPD above the "standard"  default clock speed of "like" DIMMs.   

I walked away and posted after dmdilks..  but as you can see, we both think alike :) 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:57:30 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW