Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58-UD3R drives issue

GA-X58-UD3R drives issue
« on: March 01, 2017, 06:17:23 pm »
Hi I am new to this board, but I thought I would seek some advice here.

I have an old GA-X58-UD3R (rev. 1), which I bought about 6 or 7 years ago from OCUK pre-installed with with an i7-920 clocked to 4Ghz and 6Gb patriot viper triple channel kit (also OC'd). I'm at work now but I can get the specs and any info at a later date if you tell me what you need to know.

I don't use the PC much these days, partly because of IRL stuff (bought house/got married etc), but a lot because of all the problems I've had with the PC.

HW/SW config:
OS = Win 7 Ultimate x64
Drive 1: 120GB SSD (windows / important apps)
Drive 2: 320GB HDD (less important apps)
Drive 3: 1TB HDD (documents)
Drive 4: 2TB HDD (backup of 1TB drive plus random stuff)
Drive 5: 500GB USB3 external (Steam games/films etc) [added later after the issue was already occurring]
Nvidia GTX 470
Soundblaster Titanium (PCIe)

The basic problem I've been having for past couple of years are:

My main (1TB) data drive where MyDocuments and Dropbox is stored keeps doing some strange things...
It sometimes disappears, then needs a CHKDSK on startup to get it back due to corrupt file system (but not usually bad sectors).
Sometimes the drive will mount but one or more folders is missing e.g. drop box - a chkdsk is usually enough to fix it
After a while of this stuff happening the drive started to get bad sectors. I eventually replaced it with another 1TB drive and restored my backup from the 2TB drive. After a while the issues started occuring (same) again on the new 1TB drive.
Occasionally (but much less frequently) the issues occur on the 2TB drive.
I have had a few times the PCIe sound card decides it is not recognised and I need to uninstall the drivers in DevMan and let themselves reinstall again before it works.
I have tried new SATA cables and different SATA ports.
I have updated the BIOS.
I upgraded the PSU in case it wasn't enough power.

None of the above has helped. A friend suggested cleaning the contacts on the board with alcohol, which I have not tried yet. The 1TB drive looks like it has now failed again (failed short drive test using SeaTools)

I'm sure I am wall overdue an upgrade, but I wonder if anyone agrees that this seems like it might be a MOBO/SATA issue and have you any suggestions or experience of similar situation? What might be the cause?

Re: GA-X58-UD3R drives issue
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:11:21 pm »
i have same mobo, but mine is i7-950 with win8.1 and now broken startup.
probably disk error

Re: GA-X58-UD3R drives issue
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:11 am »
i have same mobo, but mine is i7-950 with win8.1 and now broken startup.
probably disk error

I agree the disk is failing, but what is making it fail? The other 4 hard drives get as much or almost as much use, so how come it's the same hdd I replaced that started failing again so quickly?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:56:01 am by Tom King »