Official GIGABYTE Forum

Precise model codes of AM4 X370 boards and differences...

Precise model codes of AM4 X370 boards and differences...
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:16:03 pm »
I've been thinking of buying a Gigabyte AM4 mbd, but have run into confusion on seller sites as to which board is which.

For example, one seller sites lists a "AX370-GAMING K5" for 150 UKP, for which I can find no reference on Gigabyte support, while the same seller also lists a "AX370-GAMING 5" for a 3rd higher cost. Also, sources seem to vary as to whether these models are referred to as AX370 or just X370 in the model code. See attached image as an example.

Thus, what are the correct model codes please for the AM4 range using X370, and does the K5 edition exist? Is the seller site just listing it wrong? They show it as being on pre-order, availability due on Mar 10th.

Lastly, looking at the Gigabyte specs pages, what is the difference between the "GA-AX370-GAMING 5" and "GA-AX370-Gaming K7"? Unless I've missed something, the main difference appears to be higher supported memory speeds on the K7.

Thanks!

Ian.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:19:25 pm by mapesdhs »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Precise model codes of AM4 X370 boards and differences...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:02:09 am »
Hi Ian,

I too, have been a little confused by the plethora of different names/models that have been appearing on the internet of recent weeks/days.

Not sure if this will help narrow down things a bit but, according to the Gigabyte Website there are only 5 motherboards listed for the AM4 Socket at the moment: http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/AMD-Socket-AM4
Here's a comparison link for these: http://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Result/2?pids=6166,6167,6225,6227,6242

I'm not certain but, I would hazard a guess that, other boards will be coming along shortly, as other Ryzen chips are released/announced.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »
Indeed, this is what's confusing though, the info on Gigabyte's site doesn't match the pictures I've seen, eg. the site only shows AX370 naming, whereas the picture shows an X370. Elsewhere I've seen a K5 picture, like the seller site has listed for 150 UKP (vs. 200 UKP for the AX370 Gaming 5). Are the pics just early versions which no longer apply, and the seller site has the wrong info, or are there other models coming, in which case what's the difference between Gaming 5 and Gaming K5, and what's the difference between X370 and AX370? I would cite the seller URLs here but I'm assuming that's not allowed.

Ian.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:07:04 pm »
This is only an assumption on my part but, I think the information on the Gigabyte site is the one to go by.

I have spent days looking at various Gigabyte AM4 motherboard posts and it seems to me as if the retailers have become muddled and added extra letters to board descriptions which could be due to a lack of precise information, leaking out, prior to the 2nd of March.

As the AM4 stuff is still only pre-order status on most UK websites I think things will be altered, as items actually become available.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:00 pm »
Normally I'd agree, but look at the picture I referenced, it definitely shows a board marked with "X370 Gaming 5", which has a different layout, but there's no such board on gigabyte.com.

And weirdly, despite having not replied to my question, the seller site I referred to has removed their Gaming K5 listing which was 150 UKP. Bizarre...

Must confess at being a bit frustrated with this Ryzen launch. Mbd naimg mixups, and meanwhile a 32GB kit I was interested in had its price jacked by 80% overnight after I asked the seller why it was cheaper than the AM4-certified kits (same brand/range btw). Ho hum.

Ian.

PS. Followup: the seller site does still have the K5 listed, stock due on Mar 10th, but the board doesn't show up if one searches the site. I'd cite the URL but I'm assuming that's now allowed here.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:55:34 pm by mapesdhs »