Official GIGABYTE Forum

AX370-Gaming K7 bios limitations

AX370-Gaming K7 bios limitations
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:27:21 pm »
Hello,

I have noticed with the latest available bios F3b, that the vcore does not go higher than 1.4V, even when set to higher values, e.g. 1.45V.

Also, with any adjustment of the ref clock, the board will not boot at all. 100MHz is the only working setting.

Is there a new beta bios available to try which is not on the download page yet? Thx.

MindLESS

Re: AX370-Gaming K7 bios limitations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:23:07 am »
I've come on to check the forums.

The BIOS you're using is a BETA bios, there is a note just under the download table that says:
What is a BETA?
BETA describes a new version that is reliable yet may not include all the features of the final product. During this phase we are previewing new features and gathering customer input to insure our product provides the best experience possible.

As such there are quite a few bits missing. I've been waiting for a new BIOS also, but Gigabyte seems to be putting more effort into BIOS releases for the Gaming 5 motherboard and less into the Gaming 7.

In some other news I have read that AMD has released an update to the AGESA microcode that it supposed to enable better support for running faster memory (which may or may not affect the processor increases seen with faster RAM due to the CCX link being tied to the RAM speed).
CCX Interconnect tied to memory speeds - eTeknix

AMD released the information on the new yesterday, I saw it on Overclock3D here:
AMD reportedly released new AGESA Microcode - Overclock3D

If the article about the AGESA microcode is true, Gigabyte will probably be putting it into a new BIOS and testing it before releasing it. They may hold off releasing any BIOS they have been working on until this point, meaning a little wait before we get anything.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of what's going on in Gigabyte may be able to pass on some idea of what's happening.

MindLESS

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:45:17 pm »
Are any Gigabyte employees able to give us any timescales for updated BIOS for the AM4 motherboards?

All of the other motherboard manufacturers have released updates to improve memory compatibility this week, but there doesn't appear to be anything from Gigabyte.
I'm trying to be as patient as I can be, but I'd expect Gigabyte to be leading the way instead of trailing behind everyone - including what I'd consider smaller names such as ASRock and MSI.

MindLESS

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:56:39 pm »
I've sent a support request in via the Gigabyte website about the BIOS support.
Product Category: Motherboard
Model Name: GA-AX370-Gaming K7(rev.1.0)
Question Category: Driver
BIOS Ver.: F3b
VGA Brand: ASUS
CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Memory Brand: Corsair
Memory Part No. :CMU32GX4M2C3200C16B
Operating System: Win 10 64-bit
Question:
I am writing to enquire about the BIOS upgrades for the motherboard.
I have enquired on the UK Gigabyte forum to see if anyone has information on when the next upgrade would be available. All of the other motherboard manufacturers appear to have released BIOS updates in the last week with the updated AGESA microcode updates and increased RAM speeds.
Currently the beta BIOS available is still limited in function and seems to have stability issues.
I purchased the motherboard due to the initial samples coming with your Gaming 5 board (unfortunately due to the motherboard shortages I upgraded to the Gaming 7).
If you aren't going to release BIOS updates in a reasonable timeframe I would need to look at returning the motherboard and getting one from a manufacturer that provides more timely support to their userbase.

yogS

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:27:51 am »
I've come on to check the forums.

The BIOS you're using is a BETA bios, there is a note just under the download table that says:
What is a BETA?
BETA describes a new version that is reliable yet may not include all the features of the final product. During this phase we are previewing new features and gathering customer input to insure our product provides the best experience possible.

As such there are quite a few bits missing. I've been waiting for a new BIOS also, but Gigabyte seems to be putting more effort into BIOS releases for the Gaming 5 motherboard and less into the Gaming 7.

In some other news I have read that AMD has released an update to the AGESA microcode that it supposed to enable better support for running faster memory (which may or may not affect the processor increases seen with faster RAM due to the CCX link being tied to the RAM speed).
CCX Interconnect tied to memory speeds - eTeknix

AMD released the information on the new yesterday, I saw it on Overclock3D here:
AMD reportedly released new AGESA Microcode - Overclock3D

If the article about the AGESA microcode is true, Gigabyte will probably be putting it into a new BIOS and testing it before releasing it. They may hold off releasing any BIOS they have been working on until this point, meaning a little wait before we get anything.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of what's going on in Gigabyte may be able to pass on some idea of what's happening.

Haha why do you think Gigabyte is giving more attention to gaming 5? AM4 platform is the victim here. No updates for any mobo.

MindLESS

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:19:31 pm »
Primarily from the fact that the Gaming 5 has 3 BIOS versions and the Gaming K7 has 2.
I do accept that Gigabyte aren't showing much support for the AMD ecosystem in general either, though.

There has been no response to the ticket I've raised on the Gigabyte support.
I'm guessing that when Vega comes out and I decide if I'm going for that or a 1080Ti Gigabyte isn't going to be in my list of suppliers to look at.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 03:02:43 pm »
OK. I've been reading around for all of the manufacturers. As I see at the moment, Gigabyte is trailing especially on their flagship mobo (weird).
Should I chose Gaming K7 or simple go for other manufacturers?
Is Gigabyte going to actually fix something?

I really wanted Gigabyte since I am still running Ga-965-DS4 (rev2)
And it is time for upgrade and I am really confident in their hardware but what about that damn BIOS???

yogS

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 09:54:18 pm »
Primarily from the fact that the Gaming 5 has 3 BIOS versions and the Gaming K7 has 2.
I do accept that Gigabyte aren't showing much support for the AMD ecosystem in general either, though.

There has been no response to the ticket I've raised on the Gigabyte support.
I'm guessing that when Vega comes out and I decide if I'm going for that or a 1080Ti Gigabyte isn't going to be in my list of suppliers to look at.
My thoughts exactly. I have always had a gigabyte motherboards but it seems like time to give other brands a try. I too am waiting for Vega and hope to have an Asus card next

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 01:09:30 pm »
Hi, I have confirmed Gigabyte that on April 11 launch a new BIOS.... to that we will look forward to :D

MindLESS

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:35:40 pm »
I look forward to seeing it. I had a response to my official support request last week and was given a download to a F3f BIOS version.

I was only able to play with it at the weekend, but it seems to allow me to run my RAM at 2933 now - previously I failed to boot if it was over 2400.

I got a bit of a performance jump with a quick Cinebench R15 run (equal to about 50MHz on previous testing).
It's just a shame the update took so long with so little update.