Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS downgrades itself

fxv300

• fxv300
BIOS downgrades itself
« on: April 18, 2017, 05:49:03 pm »
What the hell.....put PC to sleep from Windows10, after wakeup BIOS got downgraded from F5 to F5D .....had to re-install F5 again. The PC had been running fine with F5 ( no BIOS changes) for about a week. Bizarre !!

Does the facility to copy BIOS from master to backup still exist ? if yes how is it done?
Auros Gaming 5
RyZen 1700x
32G DDR4 3200 CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
Silent Loop 280mm Liquid Cooler
Corsair 330R case
850watt PSU

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: BIOS downgrades itself
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:48 pm »
Hi there,

reverting to the F5d BIOS, after putting the PC to sleep does sound strange. But hey, it's a PC and all things are possible!

If I have the right motherboard for you then, it comes with Two BIOS switches. This allows you to easily swao between the Main and Backup BIOS chips.
The easiest way of syncing the BIOS chips is to totally shut down the PC, set the switches so you are going to BOOT from the Backup BIOS chip, then flash the Backup BIOS with the F5 file.
Once the Backup chip has been flashed you can switch back to the Main BIOS and hopefully, not encounter this issue again.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

fxv300

• fxv300
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:29 pm »
Hi there,

reverting to the F5d BIOS, after putting the PC to sleep does sound strange. But hey, it's a PC and all things are possible!

If I have the right motherboard for you then, it comes with Two BIOS switches. This allows you to easily swao between the Main and Backup BIOS chips.
The easiest way of syncing the BIOS chips is to totally shut down the PC, set the switches so you are going to BOOT from the Backup BIOS chip, then flash the Backup BIOS with the F5 file.
Once the Backup chip has been flashed you can switch back to the Main BIOS and hopefully, not encounter this issue again.

Great theory but that is not achievable with the info I have. How do you flash the main BIOS if you are booted up with the backup BIOS ? I have asked that question on the forums but no one seems to know how to flash Main BIOS from Backup BIOS.  In my case the main BIOS still booted so could flash it in Windows back to BIOS F5

Auros Gaming 5
RyZen 1700x
Corsair 330R case
850watt PSU

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:33:54 am »
See section 1-7 on page 12 of your manual for proper BIOS switch settings and function.  This allows you to control which BIOS your system is starting from.

Synchronizing BIOS.  Start by booting the system from each chip individually so you are absolutely certain what BIOS rev is on the chip you are starting from.  If the desired BIOS rev exists on the chip you've started the machine from...

at.. Gigabyte Splash Screen

ALT+F12 for Award BIOS
ALT+F10 for AMI BIOS

You will be prompted with a menu to flash.

For reference:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=10304.0

I see you've already done a bit of flashing on your own (F5d).  Keep the following in mind.  BIOS flashing is inherently risky. You can brick your rig if things go south.  Not trying to scare you..  and its good Gigabyte has a dual BIOS option, but be aware of the risk.  Its not 100% foolproof. 

The fact that your F5 flash reverted to F5d might be an indication of an unsuccessful flash, or aggressive CPU or memory settings.  I know you are trying to squeeze every Mhz out of your RAM ;D 

Could it have been a coincidence sure, but it might have also happened because of aggressive settings and the BIOS becoming corrupt.  The safety net is your back up BIOS.  Choice is up to you of course.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:37:58 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

fxv300

• fxv300
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:59:25 pm »
See section 1-7 on page 12 of your manual for proper BIOS switch settings and function.  This allows you to control which BIOS your system is starting from.

Synchronizing BIOS.  Start by booting the system from each chip individually so you are absolutely certain what BIOS rev is on the chip you are starting from.  If the desired BIOS rev exists on the chip you've started the machine from...

at.. Gigabyte Splash Screen

ALT+F12 for Award BIOS
ALT+F10 for AMI BIOS

You will be prompted with a menu to flash.

For reference:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=10304.0

I see you've already done a bit of flashing on your own (F5d).  Keep the following in mind.  BIOS flashing is inherently risky. You can brick your rig if things go south.  Not trying to scare you..  and its good Gigabyte has a dual BIOS option, but be aware of the risk.  Its not 100% foolproof. 

The fact that your F5 flash reverted to F5d might be an indication of an unsuccessful flash, or aggressive CPU or memory settings.  I know you are trying to squeeze every Mhz out of your RAM ;D 

Could it have been a coincidence sure, but it might have also happened because of aggressive settings and the BIOS becoming corrupt.  The safety net is your back up BIOS.  Choice is up to you of course.  Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I am not at my memory maximum (3200) as yet, 2933 is good enough. Might be the fact I have 4 sticks and that may be driving the bus a bit harder. The memory choices for the buyer are so good with DDR4 now, hopefully the Qualified memory list will see some faster ram tested.

I ran several CB tests and that all survived, CPU at 3600 (was at 38.5 before)

All good at the moment :)

Auros Gaming 5
RyZen 1700x
Corsair 330R case
850watt PSU