Official GIGABYTE Forum

Audio Interference with G.1 Z87 Sniper

Audio Interference with G.1 Z87 Sniper
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:26 pm »
Hi all, thanks in advance for the help -

I am getting audio interference (headphones) seemingly from my GTX 780. The headphones are plugged directly into the headphone port on the mobo. When I use my front panel the noise is lessened but is still detectable. I notice the interference whenever there is graphical change on my monitor - I've reproduced this behavior to confirm. All my components are properly seated. While using the front panel jack yields low interference, and I plan to use it in the future, I expected better from a board toting a high quality audio solution.

Here are my relevant specs, I have not overclocked anything at the moment.

Intel i7 4770k
Nvidia GTX 780
Gigabyte G.1 Z87 Sniper
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133
Seasonic X-Series 1050w
Caselabs SMA8 (aluminium case)

As you can see I have a good power supply so while I can't rule it out it seems unlikely to be the issue. I have read that onboard sound solutions tend to have high interference, but given that this board is designed with a high-end onboard audio solution with EMI shielding as a feature I would hope that interference wouldn't be a problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that the mobo is on a sliding tray, so perhaps it is not making enough contact with the case - but I also read that the mobo is mainly grounded through the PSU.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Audio Interference with G.1 Z87 Sniper
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 06:26:32 am »
Have you installed Gigabyte's EasyTune Software?

I don't know if it still causes audio problems as I never use it, but I know that a lot of audio issues on earlier boards were caused by this particular piece of software.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:44:54 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:16 am »
Thanks for the reply!

I have not installed EasyTune, only the Creative drivers listed on their site.

It seems to have something to do with using the rear headphone port - as my front panel port (hooked up to the HD audio headers) has less interference, but still some.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:20:59 am by sacamano »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 01:33:31 pm »
The first thing I would try is removing the creative drivers and see what happens to the audio then. If you are running Windows 7 or above use the native drivers to test things out as, quite often, the problems are driver/software issues rather than actual hardware.

Another thing to try is running a live install of Ubuntu, Mint or another Linux based OS as this can often confirm if the problem is hardware based as most things seem to work in Linux environment without too much hassle. If things work OK in Linux then it is a pretty safe bet that the problem is software based.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:26:53 pm »
The first thing I would try is removing the creative drivers and see what happens to the audio then. If you are running Windows 7 or above use the native drivers to test things out as, quite often, the problems are driver/software issues rather than actual hardware.

Another thing to try is running a live install of Ubuntu, Mint or another Linux based OS as this can often confirm if the problem is hardware based as most things seem to work in Linux environment without too much hassle. If things work OK in Linux then it is a pretty safe bet that the problem is software based.

I have uninstalled creative drivers and there is no audio or interference through the headphones. Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize the headphone port as being active (when headphones are plugged in) so I can't test the actually audio, but again there is no interference sounds. Are there other drivers I can test out other than the one listed on gigabyte's support page?

Thanks again!

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 03:07:37 pm »
I think so many complains about audio in many different mobos indicate that something wrong on board audio circuit.
My suspicious on amp-op chip too
I think it is not a driver problem.
If it was driver problem rest the PC could solve it but ac power and pc reset is solve it.
Shame of you gigabyte you do not respond any of this forum articles.
Do not worry gigabyte my next mobos will be asus not from you