Official GIGABYTE Forum

UNDERSTANDING AMD CPU BIOS UPDATES

UNDERSTANDING AMD CPU BIOS UPDATES
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:29:37 pm »
hi guys
         first of all i would like to say "hi" to everyone on the gigabyte community forums...... anyway i am upgrading my motherboard and cpu and since i have been using intel cpu,s for the last decade and since AMD processors are better value i have decided to go with these... and the cpu i am looking at is the AMD Athlon II X3 Tri Core 425 2.70GHz ...however i cant get my head round the "since bios" in the cpu compatibility
         basically i want to get a motherboard that supports ddr2(667mhz) memory and i have my eye on the "Gigabyte GA-M720-US3" which is am3 ready and supports the required ddr2 667mhz memory
           on the cpu compatibility page it states the motherboards since bios version is "F5".. so what does that mean.... ?
           i have also read that i may need a am2 processor(e.g semprom ) to flash the bios.. so the AMD Athlon II X3 Tri Core 425 can be recognized by the Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 ...
           so basically if i buy the Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 along with the  AMD Athlon II X3 Tri Core 425 will it boot so i can update the bios... or do i need to buy a older am2 processor (which i dont want to ) to flash the bios
           can anyone help me on this issue ... and can anyone help me understand the "since bios version " clearer ...... any help will be much appreciated
                         thanks guys

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: UNDERSTANDING AMD CPU BIOS UPDATES
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
Hi,

since bios version is "F5".. so what does that mean.... ?
Basically when a motherboard is released it comes with a version of BIOS that handles the majority of CPU's available at the time of its release. As CPU manufacturers, both Intel and AMD, release new CPU's the BIOS needs to be changed so that the motherboard can handle the new processors. In the CPU compatibility charts on Gigabyte's Website they use the term "Since BIOS" to show which version of BIOS you need to run a certain CPU. You have stated that for your chosen CPU you need the motherboard to have BIOS F5, so you have to have at least that version or a later one (F6, F7 etc.,) to enable you to use the CPU, anything before F5 (F4, F3 etc.,) will not support it.

If you do buy this board you will need to make sure that it will handle the CPU that you are buying or, as you have said, you will need a CPU that is supported by an earlier version of BIOS so that it can be updated. The best thing to do is check with your supplier and ask them to make sure that the BIOS on the motherboard is version F5 or later. If they are supplying both the Board and the CPU, if there is a problem when you come to install it at least, by having asked the question, you will have some recourse if it doesn't work. Why spend money on another CPU if you don't really need to.

Hope this helps.

ATB
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:52:27 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »
hi
         this is a excellent answer and you have told me what i need to know.... so i need to make sure the motherboard i am buying is F5  or later.... however why dont retailers list this on their websites.. with the "since bios version " being probally one of the most important factors when buying a motherboard and cpu (especially AMD ) you would think this would be included on the tech specs
          anyway i have posted a question on aria asking for the bios version on this motherboard....
          thanks for the speedy response.. you dont know how much you have helped me ..... its much appreciated
                            cheers

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:28:59 pm »
why dont retailers list this on their websites..

to be honest, I don't think it is a question that they get asked too often. In fact, until you raised this point I haven't really considered it myself! But I have been building PC's for many years now and I have a couple of old CPU's that I keep hold of, just in case I need to flash BIOS for a newer model.

Anyway, pleased to have been able to help.

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »
Another one for the FAQ section absic115. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:50:36 pm »
what is the best amd cpu to get in regards to allround bios updating... would a cheap am2 semprom ( around £22 ) do the job and does it matter if its single or dual core ?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 06:14:41 am »
Hi,

it doesn't matter if the CPU is AM2, AM2+ or AM3 or if it is single, X2, X3, X4, X6  as long as it is supported by the motherboard with the earliest BIOS it will work. If you are thinking of the Sempron  140 then you will be having the same issues with your choice of board as it will still need BIOS F5.
It is getting harder to find some of the earlier AMD CPU's that will do the job but a quick look at Scan UK gave me this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-AM2-Athlon-64-4400plus-AM2-Brisbane-Core-Dual-Core-23GHz-512KB-Cache-OEM It will do the job but is over £30
which is a lot of money for a single BIOS update and you could well find that it isn't supported on future boards or that it isn't even needed for the one you are intending to buy.

It could well be, that when you get hold of your new motherboard it does have the latest BIOS on it. Of course that will be dependant on the stock turnover from the supplier and if they have a new(er) batch on the shelf.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:42:55 am by absic115 »