Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help with new GA-890GPA-UD3H based system (cpu fan not spinning)

phayes

Hi all. I've just put together a new computer and I'm pretty sure I've connected everything right but when I press the case's power on switch, I hear a short beep from something (odd 'cause I didn't think my Antec 300 case had a speaker) and I notice the cpu fan rotate just a little but then it stops. My CPU is a new Athlon x2 250 with a stock fan.

I've just been quickly turning off the power at the PSU so far because I'm worried that something is wrong and that I might damage the cpu.  I see here http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1333.msg6133.html#msg6133 that it's possible the cpu fan might normally not start spinning immediately but is that true in my case and what should I do next?.

Thanks for any help.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Help with new GA-890GPA-UD3H based system (cpu fan not spinning)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:10:42 pm »
Hi there,

If you are getting one short beep from the motherboard it means that everything is OK.

The fan on the CPU won't always start up straight away so you don't need to worry too much about that, unless of course it doesn't start after about 1 minute.

I think it is quite safe for you to power up the PC and let it go through the initial stages of booting. If there is a problem you will soon know about it.
Good luck
ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »
Can you list yopur hardware that you have installed especially the PSU?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

phayes

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:36 pm »
Hi there,

If you are getting one short beep from the motherboard it means that everything is OK.

The fan on the CPU won't always start up straight away so you don't need to worry too much about that, unless of course it doesn't start after about 1 minute.

I think it is quite safe for you to power up the PC and let it go through the initial stages of booting. If there is a problem you will soon know about it.
Good luck
ATB

Thanks - just the reassurance I needed - it works perfectly. :-)

phayes

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:41:23 pm »
Can you list yopur hardware that you have installed especially the PSU?

All okay now, thanks - I was just paranoid about the short delay. Just for the record, my PSU is a 500w OCZ modular. I know it's fairly low powered but I'm not going to be to be filling up the PCIe slots with powerful graphics cards or whatever.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:43:45 pm »
All okay now, thanks - I was just paranoid about the short delay. Just for the record, my PSU is a 500w OCZ modular. I know it's fairly low powered but I'm not going to be to be filling up the PCIe slots with powerful graphics cards or whatever.

That's OK, we've been all there. If you run into any problems or want any help you know where we are!

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.