Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-K8N PRO SLI + 4x1gb RAM problem

cz28

GA-K8N PRO SLI + 4x1gb RAM problem
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:27:52 pm »
I bought additional 2x 1gb DDR1 Kingston RAM dual channel for my PC (same RAM as is mounted) and I put it in the other two slots. I know, it was better to do and change pc, unfortunately I do not have money for it now. The problem is this: yesterday evening when I put the RAM in their slots, everything was ok (except for this error, it shows 3.25 GB instead of 4), PC have turned on normally, worked faster. This morning I wanted to turn it on again, unfortunately, fans did not work - nothing happened. The first thought - the problem of power (although its strange, yesterday I worked normally and the 500W should be enough). I unplugged graphics card and DVD - still nothing. Another thought: RAM - I took out my 2 new modules - It worked. I have exchanged modules in all possible slot configurations, exchanged new with old, checked all of them with memtest, I updated the bios to the lastest F10d version and still nothing. For three modules (3x1gb) also works, so I think this is a problem with twin dual channel, but then why It worked normally yesterday?

PC Specification:

Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI (S939)
4x1gb (such dual dual channel) KVR400X64C3AK2/2G Kingston DDR1 400MHz (2x1GB currently)
CHIEFTEC 500W GPS-500AB-A

And other, perhaps less significant in this case the components:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Samsung Spinpoint 500GB F3
SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium
Some DVD recorder LG
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Any ideas how to fix it?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-K8N PRO SLI + 4x1gb RAM problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »
Hi there,
I have to say that I am surprised that you have been able to get Windows 7 64 Bit running on this board as there is no official downloads for this OS. In fact, even Vista isn't shown as being supported on the Gigabyte website if I am looking at the correct motherboard specs: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1883&dl=1#driver

However, there shouldn't be a problem with running 4 gig of RAM in Dual channel mode on this board and I used to have one that quite happily did so.
The fact that you have installed 4 gig and only 3.25 is showing as actually normal and is pointed out in the User's Manual:
Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.
For example, 4 GB of memory size will instead be shown as 3.xxGB memory during system
startup.
The following image is taken from the Mobo manual and shows that your PC shouldn't even boot if you are using 3 RAM modules:

So how or why you can do so is also a bit of a puzzle.

If, as you say, all of the RAM modules have passed Memtest then the next thing to try would be a larger power supply. I agree that a 500 Watt PSU should do the job but over time the actual output can drop and if you have had the PSU for a while it might not be as efficient as it once was. Can you try running your system with a larger PSU?

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

cz28

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »
Hi (sorry for my bad manners).

I just installed a XP 64bit drivers and unexpectedly it works. Well I didnt said it boot on 3 modules. I said the I can turn on PC with 3 modules, but not with 4. For now I cant get larger PSU, but PC doesnt even start when I unplug the graphic card which eats a lot o power. I also tried to reset bios, raising voltage on memory and still nothing. I still don't know why did it work yesterday without any problems :/.

PS: Sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:50:44 pm by cz28 »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »
No worries, your English is MUCH better than my Polish!

This kind of fault can be really frustrating to cure, especially if it seemed to work only 24 hours earlier. I would suggest returning the system to Optimized Defaults in BIOS as this is always a good place to start. The suggestion about using a larger PSU was really as part of a process of elimination and although it would be useful, I don't think it is essential.

When you ran Memtest did you test all of the RAM modules?

Also, have you tried running Memtest with 1 stick of RAM and then re-testing the same stick in the different slots on the motherboard?

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

cz28

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:57:42 pm »
Optimized Defaults are like reset aren't they? Anyway I did it and still I can't even turn on a fans.

I've made memtest today, all modules are fine. All 4 slots are also fine.

Yes I tried run memtest with 1 stick then put it in other slot n retest. Still nothing :(.

Anyway I could run a windows on 3 modules but it in single channel. Still no idea what to do to start on all 4 sticks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:59:33 pm by cz28 »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:31:45 am »
Hi there,

to be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss to fully understand the cause of your problem or to offer any possible cure.

The fact that you have run Memtest on all 4 sticks and that they have all passed would seem that you could safely eliminate the RAM as the cause but I do feel that the problem is here.

What voltage is the RAM running at in BIOS?
Is it at the correct rate for the modules?

cz28

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »
Every RAM voltage is 2.6V. I tried to raise voltage by 0,1V as someone suggest me on other forum but nothing happened.

However, I found another 512MB 400hmz DDR1 module in my old pc. With 3x1gb + 512mb stick it works fine, but it's single channel. It shows normally 3,5gb. So this confirmed my suspicion about this mobo problems with twin dual channel setting. But I still don't know what to do with this.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:53:56 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry but I am stumped and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong.
I still feel that there is a problem with the RAM Modules rather than the motherboard and the fact that you can run 3.5 Gig with all 4 slots filled, even in single channel mode would also suggest that this is the case.

My best advice would be for you to contact Gigabyte Technical Support: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=Poland&SourceWeb=B2C as they would be in a better position to help you further.

cz28

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:42:15 pm »
Hi.

I just send mail to gigabyte and I hope they reply soon with solution of my problem.

Thanks.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 01:43:44 pm »
Sorry that I couldn't help.

Please let us know how you get on.

cz28

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:33:20 pm »
It's ok, I will.

cz28

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:56 am »
Gigabyte tech support team told me that it can be a memory controller in CPU and I should set RAM frequency to 333MHz. Well I did and my PC still doesn't want to turn on.

However i borrowed 1 GB 400MHz Goodram module from my friend and it works fine with my other 3x1gb kingston. It shows normally 4gb (no 3.25gb bug) in twin dual channel when booting and even in windows. So it's something wrong with mobo, because it can't run all 4 same kingston modules. That's kinda weird because mobo's manual say's: "To enable Dual Channel mode with 4 memory modules, it is recommanded to use memory of identical brand, size, chips and speed".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:19:47 am by cz28 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:03:41 am »
I can't explain this behavior as it just doesn't seem to make sense. As you quite rightly say if all four modules are matching it should work more stably. As you have just prooved there is nothinhg wrong with the memory controller on the CPU. Therefore it must be the actual memory modules that you are inserting otherwise the four that you just tried wouldn't have worked either if the motherboard was faulty.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:25 pm »
I've got to agree with DM here, it does seem as if there is a problem with the Kingston RAM modules rather than the Motherboard.

cz28

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »
I don't think so. I can go in dual channel mode with my 2x1 gb modules: new 1 + new 2, old 1 + old 2, old 1 + new 1, new 1 + old 2 etc... Problem appears only with twin dual channel mode for this kingston ram. I think something is wrong in memory controller on mobo. Does memory controller have any list of capable ram modules and theirs configuration or something? Tomorrow I ll try to install all 4 kingstones in my friend's PC and I will see is this fault of ram or mobo.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:38:21 pm by cz28 »