Official GIGABYTE Forum

help overclocking GA-890FXA-UD5 & amd 1090T

adictv

help overclocking GA-890FXA-UD5 & amd 1090T
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:31:07 am »
Hi all im new here looking for some help i have tryed to overclock my system but not getting anything stable so i dont want to touch it any more as i dont no a great deal about OC. here is my set-up
GA-890FXA-UD5
AMD 1090T 6 core
corsair domminator GT 1600 2x2GB
2x 5870 XFX
watercooled :)

if anyone has any info that could help me that would be great

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: help overclocking GA-890FXA-UD5 & amd 1090T
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »
Hi there,

the first thing to take into account is that the 1090T, like all other AM3 CPU's doesn't really like running RAM above 1333 Mhz and this could be the reason for your instability when trying to overclock. I would suggest resetting BIOS to Optimized Defaults before you go any further. This should automatically bring your RAM speed down to 1333 MHz and is a much safer option for any Overclocking you wish to do.

The 1090T is a Black Edition CPU so getting more out of it is relatively easy. As a starting point I would disable the Core Performance Boost option (if you have it) and also ALL of the power saving options as they can make things pretty difficult, when it comes to settling a system down. I would suggest, in the beginning, that you leave all voltage options on AUTO and the only thing you really need to adjust is the CPU Clock Ratio. As the 1090T has an Unlocked multiplier, you can freely adjust this from X5 (1000 MHz) - X35 (7000 MHz) the default for the CPU is X16 which equals 3200 MHz. That's all you need for a very quick and easy Overclock. I have had my 1090T running at 4.2 GHz (on air) just by adjusting the Multiplier and leaving everything else alone.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.