Official GIGABYTE Forum

When RAID is enabled, is AHCI also enabled autotmatically?

drkh

When RAID is enabled, is AHCI also enabled autotmatically?
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:10:33 am »
One of the CMOS settings of the GA-890GPA-UD3H mother board is "OnChip SATA Type", which includes three choices: Native IDE, RAID and AHCI. Only one can be selected.

RAID is a data striping method and AHCI is an interface between SATA3 host controller and the storage media. I beleive the two can co-exist.

My question, then, is:"When RAID is selected for GA-890GPA-UD3H, is AHCI also enabled automatically, like the Intel mother boards?"

I have this question because Intel recommends the following for the CMOS settings of mother boards they produce (see http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-015988.htm ):

"If you are using a SATA hard drive, the best option is to set your BIOS to RAID mode [for Intel mother boards]. RAID mode provides the greatest overall flexibility and upgradeability because it allows your system to be RAID-Ready and also enables AHCI."

If Intel does that, I feel Gigabyte may do the same, If they don't, why?

PS: FYI, Intel also describes the steps to set RAID and AHCI for their mother boards, as follows:

To enable RAID and AHCI:

1. Enter the BIOS.
2. Click Advanced.
3. Click Drive Configuration.
4. Enable Intel® RAID Technology.
5. Save the changes and exit the BIOS.

To enable AHCI only:

1. Enter the BIOS.
2. Click Advanced.
3. Click Drive Configuration.
4. Disable Intel® RAID Technology.
5. Enable SATA AHCI mode.
6. Save the changes and exit the BIOS."

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: When RAID is enabled, is AHCI also enabled autotmatically?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:04 am »
Hi there,

I am running the GA-890FXA-UD5 and have the same options in BIOS when it comes to setting the SATA Controller. If you enable this to RAID then yes, it automatically enables AHCI.

If you are not planning on using a RAID Array the controller can be set to AHCI and if your BOOT sequence is the same as on my board then this is a better option as it improves the BOOT time by about 20 seconds.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

drkh

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:26:00 am »
What a quick reply! And great to know AHCI is also enabled. Thanks.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:51 am »
No problem and pleased to help.  :D
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.