Official GIGABYTE Forum

I Believe I Triggered a Networking Hardware Defect /w GA-890GPA-UD3H

anders

Re: I Believe I Triggered a Networking Hardware Defect /w GA-890GPA-UD3H
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:25 am »
I experienced this: onboard LAN stopped working. I tried my other PC - network worked flawlessly, so I thought the onboard LAN is bad. I put a PCI NIC from this PC into my "main" PC, it worked about 2 days ... and stopped working. I switched back to the onboard LAN ... it worked. Two days later, stopped again! WTF???! After a few days I found out that someone trying to hack the network and  router is blocking my MAC addresses! :o
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:09:52 am by anders »
GA-Z270-HD3P
bios ver. F9d

Christoph

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 04:06:32 am »
I experienced this: onboard LAN stopped working. I tried my other PC - network worked flawlessly, so I thought the onboard LAN is bad. I put a PCI NIC from this PC into my "main" PC, it worked about 2 days ... and stopped working. I switched back to the onboard LAN ... it worked. Two days later, stopped again! WTF???! After a few days I found out that someone trying to hack the network and  router is blocking my MAC addresses! :o

did you actually found out that you were hacked?

like I said, some modems have this "feature" and IT takes it AS HACK ATTACK

anders

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38:17 am »
I'm 99.99% sure. When problems started, Windows reported that my internal IP (provided by my ISP and manually saved, no DHCP) is currently associated with the device with MAC address I had NEVER seen before and in any case it came from the "outside"..
GA-Z270-HD3P
bios ver. F9d

vbgunz

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:18 pm »
After getting the latest LAN driver from here http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false about 3 days ago, the issue hasn't popped up since. As for my MAC address getting blocked at the router, this just wasn't the case. I do have MAC filtering on the router and I do use it for all my devices *but* I never set up the wireless MAC filter. The wireless never connected before this issue and no matter how badly I tried to set it up, it wouldn't work. Nothing networking worked until I removed power from the PSU.

Another thing was, no matter how long I left the PC in the off state, turning it back on when it had the problem kept the problem going. Just removing power for a minute from the PSU, everything came back up normal. I just never had a problem ever with this router in the 5 years I've had it. It's seen plenty of motherboards and connects over 20 live devices in the house. More to the point is I've eliminated the router from the problem.

I've had many driver issues in my life. Never once did I have a driver issue that affected every OS and SmartLAN? Gigabyte technical support couldn't help and recommended I RMA the board. I found out how to solve the problem completely by accident. I haven't had this problem since the Windows 7 driver update *but* it is constantly in the back of my mind.

Christoph

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »

hmmm

that's why some ISP supports just one device connected to the router (internet), and that is why many (almost every one) aftermarket router support the cloning of your computer MAC address to the router MAC address, so this way the modem thinks that the router connected to IT, is actually your computer

Well I can't say that you guys are the first users with this problem as I seen it before, but I can say that I didn't have this problem even when using the same driver...

really don't know what to think and please is not like I'm trying to be a troll about this

jolphil

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »
Hi,
This whole scenario sounds familiar to me so let me throw this into the mix..Several months ago on my wife's computer running WinXP and an older Asus board she complained she could not always get on the Internet..I had previously tried to update AVG but it failed..I then thought of a malware problem so I scanned it with Kespersky cd rescue disk..It called out that it found a trojan..It offered to delete it so foolishly I did.
Soon after the computer complained of an ethernet problem..I had just made an image using terabyte  so I thought ok why not ..
I reinstalled an image I made just days previous when there was no problems and much to my surprise the same problem..It indicated a defective ethernet card..As a last ditch effort I substituted the cable and still no go..I rebooted the cable modem and the Router and Volia!!
The internet came back and is still working today and has not missed a beat..Was it the cable or the router reboot??? I still do not know ..
I suspect that somehow the handshake between the router and the ethernet card was corrupted somehow but that is just a guess..
The only thing I know is that a software problem can cripple hardware...I have no idea how it affects the firmware of the interface card..
jolphil ???

vbgunz

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 02:03:34 pm »
I never ever try the cable first. Too much work. I did though switch the cable and whenever theres a networking problem I shutoff the modem and the router first. Then I turn on the modem first and wait for it to get situated. Once that's done, I plug in the router. Then boot up. Still no net connection. In case, people with this problem keep missing the solution that's works for me, "It's to *unplug* (not just power down), your rig; killing power at the mains for at least a minute".

Christoph

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 05:48:14 am »
what I noticed with my old router is that IF I boot up my modem first and then the router, this one wouldn't get the WAN IP

but if I boot up the router first and then the modem would get to work right away, so it my be different with every user, depending on the routers model/brand