Official GIGABYTE Forum

I Believe I Triggered a Networking Hardware Defect /w GA-890GPA-UD3H

vbgunz

Sorry about this being long and winded but it's detailed. I just RMA'd a board with Newegg and am very close to RMA'ing its replacement. I love Newegg and this is the first (about to be second RMA) I've ever had to do with them in years I've been a loyal customer. I believe I triggered a hardware defect. I'll explain.

I dual boot. I have Windows 7 and Kubuntu 10.10 *both* 64bit and updated. After the motherboard installation and first boot, Kubuntu ran like a champ. Upon bootup to Windows 7, I had to install everything under the sun (CD). After all was said and done, both OS ran happily. My usual use at dual booting is hibernate Kubuntu and boot into Windows. Shutdown Windows and resume Kubuntu. I have always done this. This has always worked.

One day, out of nowhere, the networking just stopped working. I swapped cables. I thought it fried. Kubuntu wouldn't connect. So, I boot into Windows. Windows wouldn't connect. I boot into the BIOS and the Smart LAN function couldn't connect. Every other device in the house was connected but my gigabyte motherboard refused to connect. I was convinced the ethernet port blew out. So, I remove all the cables and open the case. I insert a wireless card and BOOM the ethernet (not just the wireless) was working again.

I google for details and come up with nothing. Then after a while, I get hit by no networking again. I figure maybe if I remove the wireless card, it'll magically heal up? I removed the card and boot up. Nothing. I tried Kubuntu, Windows and the Smart LAN function. No ethernet. I re-insert the wireless. No matter how hard I try, nothing works. I call gigabyte and they can't help. They told me to RMA the board so I call up Newegg. They handled it like a boss. Had a new board out the door for me before I could hang up. I'm happy and a bit sour (this is my first gigabyte product ever).

So, I remove all cables to the case and put it back under the desk. Plug all the cables back in and boot up. BOOM. The ethernet works. At this point I'm thinking about calling up Newegg and canceling the RMA. I don't do it though. And lucky. I get bit by this several times again and again before the replacement arrives. So what's the solution? Physically going under my desk and cutting off all power to the PSU. Ridiculous. I tried shutting down the PC normally and no matter how long I leave it off, this doesn't work. I have to remove all power flowing to the PSU for at least a minute. Really?

I called gigabyte and asked if they knew anything about this issue. Sort of futile. I visit the official Gigabyte site and join up with the gigabyte club. Sort of futile. I end up googling for a place where I can maybe get some official input about this problem and I end up here. So basically, the networking capability of the board turns absolutely off no matter what OS I'm in. Nothing but shutting down all power fixes it. Does anybody know what in the world is happening with this board? Surely I can't be the only one?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: I Believe I Triggered a Networking Hardware Defect /w GA-890GPA-UD3H
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:36:51 pm »
Hi there,

The latest Microsoft update driver breaks the Ethernet driver roll back your driver all should be well.
This quote was taken from a thread reporting a similar issue. Check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,4038.0.html If you read through this thread you'll see that I had a similar issue.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

blackie

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:07 pm »
Note that Gigabyte has released a new Ethernet driver on 21 Dec 2010. Are you using the latest driver? (Will not help the Kubuntu OS but maybe the Ethernet gets clobbered in Windows before you get back to Kubuntu).
GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.1 (BIOS FF)
AMD X6 1090T o/c to 4.0 GHz - W Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Win 7 HP 64-bit SP1
(2) 4GB G.Skill PC12800 @ 1333 MHz
Corsair TX850 PS & 850D Case
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD & Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA HDs
ASUS GTX 560 TI (factory O/C'ed), Two 22" Monitors
LITE-ON iHAS42

vbgunz

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »
I went here and got this http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false. This might have solved something. I have never had an experience where hardware state carried over from OS to OS. Even the failsafe and optimized defaults in the bios couldn't fix it. Only pulling the power. Is Gigabyte working on this? I believe a firmware update is needed for this. This is sort of why I came here. Is this a known issue and is it being worked on?

blackie

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:38:23 pm »
Actually I was thinking about:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3516&dl=1#dl

But you may have the same thing.

After i bought my board I looked closer at the comments on the product at NEWEGG (where i bought mine). There were a lot of complaints about the LAN.

So when I brought my board up I specifically looked at the Gigabyte web site and downloaded the latest drivers for everything. Seemed to work for me.

I figure Gigabyte knows about this issue and is activelly trying to fix it (BUT I have no real knowledge of that - only they read the product reviews also - so they SHOULD know).
GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.1 (BIOS FF)
AMD X6 1090T o/c to 4.0 GHz - W Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Win 7 HP 64-bit SP1
(2) 4GB G.Skill PC12800 @ 1333 MHz
Corsair TX850 PS & 850D Case
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD & Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA HDs
ASUS GTX 560 TI (factory O/C'ed), Two 22" Monitors
LITE-ON iHAS42

vbgunz

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:42:58 am »
The thing that bothers me; the thing nobody seems to address is the severity of this. I could absolutely and totally understand how one messed up driver can mess up one OS but in 15 years, I've never come across a fault in any one driver that had the ability to completely disable one piece of hardware.  I was on the phone with gigabyte support for 20 minutes and they had no clue what the issue was. I'm just here hoping someone can officially address this behavior. I don't at all feel comfortable about it as it strikes at random times.

anders

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:04:30 pm »
I have considered that this problem is largely caused by some kind of BIOS bug.I have seen similar behavior when network of my ISP for some reason began to fail- LAN completely froze and only thing that helped me to reconnect again was full cmos reset ... PCI NIC always "refreshed" itself,onboard not...
GA-Z270-HD3P
bios ver. F9d

vbgunz

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 01:34:27 pm »
I have GA-890GPA-UD3H revision 2.1. This is my first gigabyte product ever. I'm not gonna be a child about this and cry and whine about it; go give it 1 star/egg and recommend people stay away or worse. To be honest, I think this board is a champion. When the ethernet is working, everything seems flawless. Everything works for me, everything is stable, I did a memtest with the first board (no errors) and the installation was very easy.

I'm sort of happy with the board and I want to keep it (has all the connections I need) and provides a great upgrade path but this one issue with the networking is like a splinter in my mind. I just want to feel comfortable and am hoping for a "We know about this issue, here's a geeky explanation, we're working on it". That would make me feel a ton better.

anders

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »
It seems that Gigabyte has a big problem to admit their own mistakes, I have noticed that too. Again and again just expressing regret that the user is disappointed with their products ... and the problem remains unresolved or is resolved partially,it's as if they didn´t know what´s wrong...or did not care what they produce... :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:58:59 pm by anders »
GA-Z270-HD3P
bios ver. F9d

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:47:30 pm »
It seems that Gigabyte has a big problem to admit their own mistakes, I have noticed that too. Again and again just expressing regret that the user is disappointed with their products ... and the problem remains unresolved or is resolved partially,it's as if they didn´t know what´s wrong...or did not care what they produce... :(

or more to the point they like any big company don't want to admit liability and have to spend money putting things right. Much cheaper just to say "sorry".
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

vbgunz

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »
At this point, I'll take "I'm sorry" Vs nothing. I dont' want to hate my first gigabyte product. I was just hoping for some stellar support.

Christoph

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:24:46 am »
if the ETHERNET stop working,  and you get "not connected to LAN"  or how is it exactly that is not working?

If you reboot the Modem or Router or whatever you're using, doesn't even connect then?

I had a big problem with my board that is a GA-890FXA-UD5; I was losing connectivity  every hour but the problem was with my router, so I replace my router and everything is been working very good ever since

Stilly

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:06 am »
if the ETHERNET stop working,  and you get "not connected to LAN"  or how is it exactly that is not working?

If you reboot the Modem or Router or whatever you're using, doesn't even connect then?

I had a big problem with my board that is a GA-890FXA-UD5; I was losing connectivity  every hour but the problem was with my router, so I replace my router and everything is been working very good ever since

Christoph,  I have the same motherboard and use Ubuntu 10.04 32bit along with Windows7 "seperate hard drives" and run the OS's seperate of each other.  After running Ubuntu I have to disconnect the power to the PSU or Win7 only recognizes the connection as 10megs/min  instead of 1000megs/min.  It seems this is a hardware problem as vbgunz has stated with this Lan Card.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:25:32 am by Stilly »

Christoph

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 05:09:59 am »
then why I am not having that problem?

I think I'm using the latest driver for my Ethernet port from the Realtek as I downloaded an update few months ago

Christoph

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:50 am »
I think I know where's the problem, don't know quite well if really has anything to do or whatever, you can call me crazy but

I noticed that W7 makes up to 300 connections thru LAN just to surf the NET, against  WXP that's make around 40 to surf the net, then If your router (what happened to me) doesn't support multi-connections like for P2P software the router drops connection to the device (this is why even Ubuntu was not able to connect to LAN, cuz the router drops conecction by MAC address), this was back then known as a "protection" against hackers

now that I upgraded my router I can even download stuff with  my 3 computers at the same time without a problem

don't know really but this was clear for me...

the 2WIRE router has this "protection" and if you start downloading stuff, the router itself would kick you out the conecction and give you an message about having too many connections at the same time and that you could've been hacked, and actually you can "disable" this "protection" from the router's firewall.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:14:55 am by Christoph »