Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 & Lan issues. Don't know what else to do.

Maes

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 & Lan issues. Don't know what else to do.
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:18:56 pm »
Okay, so I've been running a server with this motherboard+Core i5 750 for a little bit over 7 months now. It's got a 9tb raid5 for watching movies.

In my house, The network looks like this:

Everything has been like this for atleast 2 years and it has NEVER posed a problem.

What happened:
- I was watching The Wire last night on the TV STB (which streams it off that server).
- Halfway a certain episode all of a sudden the STB stops playing.
- I try to connect to the server through RDP & Ping the server both without effect, server responds as if it was turned off.
- I physically walk towards the server and it's still running, I couldn't see what was going on because there's no monitor connected, so I connect one and reboot the server manually (push reset button)
- Upon boot I see that the server is not connecting properly to the network

What have I done:
First I tried doing a few ipconfig /renew's but that didn't do anything. I also noticed that when I tried to disable/enable the NIC the whole server would freeze. I could only restart the server after this happened, in order to successfully close the process.

I ran out of ideas pretty quickly so I cleared cmos and took out the bios battery. No effect.
After this I swapped switch A (gigabit) with switch B (100mbit). Note that I left the power adapter in the same socket so the switches have also swapped power adapters.
Since switch B has taken A's place the server has restored it's internet connection, both local and internet.
Switch A refuses to turn on with the power adapter of switch B, so to test this I swapped both switches back. It appears that the power adapter of switch B is now broken because neither devices give any kind of response when connected to this thing.

- Maybe not worth mentioning but during this process my android phone suddenly stopped functioning with the wifi gateway, I cannot get this to work again.

Now, ignoring all the switch problems I put switch B back to the spot of switch A. Meaning it was the only thing standing between my server and my main DHCP router. The server now works on the internet but refuses to accept ping requests. I cannot approach my network shares anymore either, every PC and laptop give the error "Network path wrong" (which it isn't).

Now the second problem is that every 10 mins the NIC just "reconnects" to switch B for some reason, while doing this it's putting the network back to public, thus turning off the network discovery and all connections with it.

This is where I quit. Maybe it's reconnecting because the wrong power adapter has been used with switch B. I have no idea, but in my eyes I've now got 2 broken switches, a broken router and a non functional server.

Can anyone please help me?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 & Lan issues. Don't know what else to do.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:25:08 pm »
Hi

The only advice I can give you is to take it back to basics. With all the different copmponents you have there troubleshooting would be a nightmare. Try and split it down and make it more simple until you can prove some of your devices.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB