Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890FXA-UD5: Fans constantly set to max RPM

Baykal

GA-890FXA-UD5: Fans constantly set to max RPM
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:17:59 pm »
So I'm having trouble setting my fans to automatically adjust the RPM with the temperature. They are set to 100% constantly

Both the CPU and System Smart Fan Control in the BIOS are set to enabled, but with system temperature of 27°C and CPU temperature of 35°C all my fans are running at maximum (around 2000 RPM). I have dowloaded SpeedFan to see if it would do anything, but no, it didn't.
I'm not sure what to do now, so hopefully some of you might be able to help me out.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, Socket-AM3, rev 2.1, F3
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Quad Core @ 3,5 Ghz
Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 12GB, CL9
Corsair TX 750W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB

Hopefully I haven't missed something out, thanks for any help I can get

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-890FXA-UD5: Fans constantly set to max RPM
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:29:32 pm »
Hi there,
officially, your CPU isn't supported until BIOS F6 so I would suggest that you update to that version using QFlash before we go any further. You can download it from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3519#bios
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Baykal

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:38:22 pm »
I knew I had forgotten something, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, I downloaded from that link and it says its not compatible with my Windows version.
Sorry for the hassle. I have never had any trouble with my Gigabyte mobos before, which means I haven't actually needed to learn anything, so I appreciate any help  :)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »
QFlash is a BIOS utility so it doesn't make any difference what version of Windows you are using.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58:34 pm »
Sorry for the hassle. I have never had any trouble with my Gigabyte mobos before, which means I haven't actually needed to learn anything, so I appreciate any help  :)

That's the problem, we only have to learn when things go wrong or we have problems.

If you are not sure about updating BIOS then check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html as it tells you how to use QFlash.
I would suggest that when you run QFlash you disable the "Keep DMI Data" option before you actually do the flash process.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Baykal

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:20:41 pm »
Too true absic.

Anyway, I have updated my BIOS to F6 now, loaded optimised defaults, however the problem still persists. (Disabled Keep DMI Data aswell)

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:51:35 pm »
OK, let's start with the most obvious questions
Is your CPU cooler the AMD Stock one or a 3rd Party one? If it's a 3rd party one which one is it?
Do your system fans have 3 pin or 4 pin connectors?

Baykal

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:55:24 pm »
Its the stock CPU cooler that came with the CPU. The system fans all have 3 pin connectors

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 08:06:15 pm »
Right, more questions I'm afraid so let's start with your CPU Cooler.....

What software are you using to report the speed of the fan?
Have you actually watched the fan at start-up, under load, and at idle to check that its speed is always maximum and not just being reported incorrectly?

Baykal

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »
I have used SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) and looked in the BIOS at what RPM the fans are running at. I believe the max for the CPU cooler is 2200 RPM because that's what its on (to be fair, I don't know what the maximum is, it hasn't budged from 2200 anyway), and the system fans I know can go upto 2000 RPM and that's also what they're constantly on.

I have watched the fan at startup, obviously I can't actually tell what the speed is just by looking at it, but when I startup the computer all the fans pickup speed, and from what I can tell they don't slow down (which is also confirmed by both the BIOS and SpeedFan). During idle and under load, by looking at each of them, it looks like the same speed, again this is confirmed by both the BIOS (idle) and SpeedFan (both).

I know you asked for the CPU cooler specifically, but it applies to it, because by looking, listening and checking the speed it isn't slowing down or speeding up, it just sits at the same speed
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:37:24 pm by Baykal »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »
Thanks for the info.
I'm running this board but I use a different cooler and have my System fans powered directly from the PSU so never bothered with the Smart Fan control functions on the board.

I will reconfigure my system tomorrow and do some testing to find out if the same thing happens on my board and hopefully come back with some proper answers for you.

Baykal

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:10:18 pm »
Thanks a lot, you've quite possible made my entire week, I really appreciate it.

I'll check back some time tomorrow.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
Hi again,
After a little fiddling around with the inside of my PC I discovered that, unless I actually remove my Noctua Cooler I cant get to the CPU Fan header on my motherboard. However I did manage to attach a stock AMD Cooler, eventually and through some testing I found that when I first power up the PC it would idle at around 2000RPM. Running a few items to build up a head of steam on the CPU the stock AMD Cooler maxed out at 3350RPM so from that side of things I have to say that the CPU Fan Control seems to be working, it just has a very high starting point.

Using any of the 3 Pin Fan Headers on the motherboard I found that I had no control over the fans speed and that they do, indeed, run at full tilt straight from powering up.

I have yet to download and install SpeedFan, to find out if that makes a difference but will post back when I have done so.

Baykal

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:53:34 am »
Alright, that is very useful information. I suppose that the Fan Control is working, in some kind of way, but the starting point isn't all that's strange, my CPU fan won't change speeds regardless of what I do, which makes me worry about overheating in the future. However as I recently built this rig, I haven't been able to test it too much, the max CPU temperature I have gotten is around 50°C, yet the CPU fan doesn't speed up.

I suppose my thread title can be changed to "Fans constantly set to a fixed RPM" or something.

I don't know how useful SpeedFan is to be honest, it was recommended to me. I have tried different settings to set fan speeds but I haven't gotten any results

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:35 am »
Hi again,

just downloaded and installed SpeedFan on my system but it only sees one of the fans attached to the motherboard headers and doesn't let me control it at all.

Back to your problem though. When you built the system did you install any of the Gigabyte Utilities that come on the install disk? This is something that I don't do and I am just trying to get my system to match your own, as closely as possible to try and find out what's going on.

Of course, you could have a faulty AMD cooler.