Official GIGABYTE Forum

motherboard RMA help: why is invoice required if warranty is based on manf. date

robby

I have recently emailed to get an RMA number for my motherboard as it won't post at all (all the components are good and tested in another known good board).  The motherboard is still in warranty (SN0947...), but I can't find my proof of purchase (it was a year ago), and the shop I bought it from has closed down.

I explained this in my email, but the RMA team's response still says I need an invoice or other proof of purchase in order to get an RMA number.

Why do I need an invoice, when my motherboard (advertised with a 3 year warranty from manufacture date with no mention that proof of purchase must be kept) is clearly less than 3 years old, as indicated by the serial number?

Can someone arrange to have my RMA number sorted out so that I can get my motherboard repaired so I can use the product I paid for?  I find it rediculous that a company of Gigabyte's supposed good reputation would try to rely on paperwork loopholes to avoid honouring the warranties that they place on their goods.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi robby and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

I totally understand where you are coming from and it would seem to be a fair point but also look at it from the manufacturer's viewpoint. Without a proof of purchase you could have stolen the board, found it at the local tip after it had been discarded or any number of other possibilities. Now I agree that this is probably unlikely but they have to cover themselves too. maybe if you could furnish them with the exact details of date and place of purchase they could check against the shipping log to see if it tallied.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

robby

But if they want a proof of purchase why base their warranty on manufacture date?  Seems like they are trying to weedle out of their own warranty.  I have a board, I can prove it is less than 3 years old, but they won't honour my warranty because I no longer have a small slip of paper (which almost certainly never had anything Gigabyte-identifiable on it anyway - it was from a small shop.

Regarding the shipment details - this isn't going to help, as the date I purchased the board isn't going to nail down the shipment anyway.  Most likely Gigabyte will have sold the board to a distributor, and would then be unable to track it's end destination or purchase date anyway (until they refuse my warranty)...

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
I am not disagreeing with you but just trying to explain how the company probably sees it.

and would then be unable to track it's end destination or purchase date anyway

The barcode on the motherboard should be able to be traced all the way through the system with no problem as all companies have to keep records of their transactions.

Actually in British law "proof of purchase" can be taken to mean a cheque book stub, a entry on a credit card statement or any number of things other than a till receipt.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:27:46 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

robby

I am not disagreeing with you but just trying to explain how the company probably sees it.

I understand that, but it doesn't make it right.  I would hope that a company that is supposedly more of a 'premium' brand (compared to the likes of Biostar etc) would stand by its products, not try to dodge warranty issues.

and would then be unable to track it's end destination or purchase date anyway

The barcode on the motherboard should be able to be traced all the way through the system with no problem as all companies have to keep records of their transactions.

If they own the distributor then yes.  But they likely won't - they'll sell a pallet of boards to a distributor, who will then sell the units off to smaller shops in much smaller numbers.  Gigabyte won't be able to track the units then unless the distributor specifically gives them access to their records - and I can't see them even bothering to ask, as the staff time involved would likely cost more than the board is worth.

Actually in British law "proof of purchase" can be taken to mean a cheque book stub, a entry on a credit card statement or any number of things other than a till receipt.

Does a hole in my wallet count?  I had to save my pennies for this purchase, and any treat I buy myself I do so in cash so I fully realise how much it costs me before I splash the cash.  As far as I can remember all I got by way of receipt was a small printed one with the shop's name at the top & the amount paid, and for the life of me I can't find it now.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Sorry just trying to help. :-\

To be honest I am surprised that they are being so pedantic but they must have some reason for it. I would suggest that you PM runn3R the Gigabyte Administrator of the forum and see if he can help you at all.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=13
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

robby

Sorry just trying to help. :-\

The help is appreciated - sorry if I came across as ungrateful for your input.  I'm just quite annoyed with the whole thing...

To be honest I am surprised that they are being so pedantic but they must have some reason for it. I would suggest that you PM runn3R the Gigabyte Administrator of the forum and see if he can help you at all.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=13

I have already been PM'd by him a few hours ago (which I hadn't noticed until now - I'm more impressed by his efficiency than Gigabyte's as a whole currently).  I am hoping he can help me out.

Thanks again.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Well good luck and please let us know how you get on. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

robby

Well good luck and please let us know how you get on. ;)

An update:

I replied to the PM I was sent on the 8th, giving the information I was asked for and asking a few more questions.  But so far I have had no response back, and still no RMA number.  Frankly I think ignoring your customers for 2+ days to a direct question is unacceptable.

It looks like I will have to try and buy a new board and throw this piece of junk away.  It'll be the last time I buy a Gigabyte product though - I am disappointed that a high-end brand like this shies away from its responsibilities over a small slip of paper.  I have RMA'ed goods to many other companies over the years without receipts (AMD, WD, Asus to name a few), and it's never been an issue providing I can demonstrate that the item hasn't been physically damaged etc.  I even have the box etc with matching serial numbers & the documentation etc to show I didn't just find this at the tip or steal a PC from someone.

It's a shame,  I liked your products as I found the features, general reliability and price were well balanced.  But if you take warranty out of the equation it just isn't worth the risk.  And as I am forced to move house repeatedly for work, little things like receipts get lost, so I can't guarantee I'll always know where they are.  Which is one of the reasons I went with Gigabyte in the first place - I thought with a warranty based on manufacture date I would be relatively safe.  But it turns out I am worse off than if I went with a competitor.

You just lost a customer.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Well I am sorry that I couldn't help you to fix your warranty problem, and I know that GGTS are not as fast as they could be but they will answer your question. I am sure that Gigabyte isn't trying to shy away from their responsibilities to their customers but you must accept that if you don't have the receipt it might take a litle longer. I would expect someone to contact you within the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:41:27 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Hi robby

I have just replied to you PM, please check the message.

Sorry for delay. I will try to do my best to help you in this problem.

===update (March 11, 2011, 05:33 pm)===

After checking your motherboard details we can accept it for RMA without the proof of purchase in this special case. You have just been sent email from our RMA dept.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:33:26 pm by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)