Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA785GPM-UD2H | Windows 7 x64 | Northbridge filter driver install

m3m

Anyone had a problem with the northbridge filter driver not installing under windows 7 x64 ? the install appears to go fine, though if you go back into the chipset install after reboot it lists the northbridge filter driver as not installed ??

I only realised it didn't install when i looked at the windows experience index figures for cpu and ram and noticed they were lower then my previous Windows 7 x86 install .....

Pottypete

Re: GA-MA785GPM-UD2H | Windows 7 x64 | Northbridge filter driver install
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:43:27 pm »
Hi,
Tech support site may be your best option
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx
regards

m3m

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:28:31 am »
Yeh i actually filled out nearly the whole support form the other night, i should have finished it but i didn't hold much hope for support on an unreleased OS ....

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:55:28 am »
Hi,
The mobo does support win 7,
You got nothing to lose, Ask 8)
regards

m3m

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:21:37 am »
ok you pushed me into it, i filled in the form !  :)

Pottypete

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:51 am »
Hi,
Are you using the full release W7 or the Beta version ?
Untill the full retail version hardware drivers may be limited ::)
regards

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »
Does Windows 7 require a driver in the first place? I had a similar situation with the Southbridge on by MA790FXT-UD5P. Install the driver, but it reports no driver loaded. On further investigation, it reports that a driver file is not loaded because it is not required, and when checking everything is working. I think all the driver actually does in this case is make Windows 7 aware of the Southbridge and then Windows 7 takes over talking to it directly without the need for additional drivers. I would not be surprised to find it is a similar situation with the Northbridge in your case. It also makes sense. Microsoft have probably written Windows 7  with full support for most current chipsets from the major players (Intel and AMD/ATi), and probably also have support for other chipsets that are under development. After all, there are some fairly significant performance gains to be had if Windows can talk directly to the hardware without needing to go via a third party driver.

m3m

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:02 am »
interesting ... i'll have a look, gigabyte are currently looking into it , the only reason i thought it does require a driver is the fact that the cpu and ram scored much lower in the windows experience index when i went from 32bit windows 7 to 64bit ... ( cpu went from 7.4 down to 6.5 and ram from 6.8 down to 5.9, also graphics scores were a fraction lower )

And yes it's the full RTM release ( 32bit & 64bit )

Edit: just got this reply from support .....

Thank you for your kindly mail and enquiry. Because Windows 7 is not yet officially released, and we are still testing the OS in our side, we suggest you can test the OS when it is officially released, sorry for the inconvenience.

If you have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:54:32 am by m3m »