Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-E350N-USB3 and hd audio bitstream

GA-E350N-USB3 and hd audio bitstream
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:14:48 am »
Hi,
Can someone confirm that the  GA-E350N-USB3 can bitstream dts-hd and dolby hd?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-E350N-USB3 and hd audio bitstream
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:28:02 am »
Hi there,

according to the User's Manual which you can download here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=post;topic=5025.0;num_replies=0 it says:

Optical S/PDIF Out Connector
This connector provides digital audio out to an external audio system that supports digital optical
audio. Before using this feature, ensure that your audio system provides an optical digital audio
in connector.

HDMI Port: The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) provides an all-digital audio/video interface to
transmit the uncompressed audio/video signals and is HDCP compliant. Connect the HDMI audio/video
device to this port. The HDMI Technology can support a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 but the
actual resolutions supported depend on the monitor being used.

•  After installing the HDMI device, make sure to set it as the default sound playback device. (The
actual item may differ by operating system. See the following screenshot for reference.) Then go to
BIOS Setup and set Onboard VGA output connect under Advanced BIOS Features to D-SUB/HDMI.
•  Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and
DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)
In Windows 7, select Start>Control Panel>Hardware and
Sound>Sound>Playback, set ATI HDMI Output to the default playback device.

From the specifications posted here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3681&dl=1#ov it says:

HDMI 1.3* certification, support Full HD 1080P
HDMI is able to provide up to 5Gb/s video transmitting bandwidth and multi-channel high quality audio all through a single cable. Able to transmit superior, uncompressed digital video and audio, HDMI ensures the crispest rendering of digital content up to 1080p without the quality losses associated with analog interfaces and their digital-to-analog conversion. GA-890GPA-UD3H has obtained the latest HDMI 1.3* certification, able to support Full HD 1080p multi-media and HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) which allowing Blu-ray/ HD DVD and other protected contents playback.
* HDMI 1.3 certified in video spec only.

From this I would assume that it does indeed provide HD output but you need to connect to an external Digital Decoder.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:52:27 pm »
At the firs part there is nothing about bitstream hd audio.
the second part is about " GA-890GPA-UD3H" that not support hd audio bitstream at all.

I'm looking for confirm answer.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:02:58 pm »
Hi

you might do better if you raised your question with Gigabyte Technical Support here: http://ggts.gigabyte.com/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=Israel&SourceWeb=B2C

The available information doesn't give any more information than the links I have provided. The second quote is actually taken from the Gigabyte Homepage for your motherboard!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »
Hey reminds me of someone! ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

zoozth

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:37:30 am »
Hi,

I just got this motherboard in a HTPC build.
I could connect 5.1 optical SPDIF to my amplifier, it works fine.
I could also send the audio with the video through the HDMI but i could only send 2 channels, i suspect its my TV as the motherboard detects the type of monitor and i suspect its detecting 2 channels device hence only allows me to send 2 on the HDMI. however I could send uncompressed 24 bit 41khz Studio quality audio.

Cheers

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:49:30 am »
Hi zoozth,

thanks for the information as I am sure it will help others in a similar position.