Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-K8N Ultra-9 - BIOS flash failed - CMOS checksum error

kusakd

GA-K8N Ultra-9 - BIOS flash failed - CMOS checksum error
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:14:18 am »
Hi guys,
Yesterday, I tried to flash my GA-K8N Ultra-9 bios (from F2 to last version - F9d) via @BIOS utility (windows-based utility). It did not completed the task - it stucked on 50%, waited a minute and then failed without any error explanation (just something like "flash process failed")

After I restarted PC, I can't get to BIOS.
I think the main BIOS is in inconsistent state, because I see it is in version F9d (instead of the old version F2).

When I turn the PC on, see:

Pressing Del/F9/F12/End, it goes to black screen with blinking '_' (underscore) on it and nothing happens.
If I wait instead of pressing anything, I get an error:

Then pressing F1/DEL, it goes to the same black screen with blinking '_'.

So I cannot go to BIOS Setup to re-flash my BIOS back.

My MOBO has DualBios technology, but apparently, it doesn't work in this case.

I've tried:
1) Clearing CMOS - placing jumper on 2 CLR_CMOS pins for 30 seconds when PC was turned off and disconnected from power. - doesn't help
2) Make PC to use backup BIOS instead of main BIOS - Turning on PC, then immediately turning off PC (by holding power button), then immediately turining on PC - doesn't work, PC still uses the main BIOS
3) disconnecting all ATA devices (including HDs, floppy, dvd) - doesn't help

Any suggestion, how to restore the main BIOS or make the mobo use the backup BIOS instead?

link to mobo manual: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_k8n_ultra_9_e.pdf

Thanks,
David

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-K8N Ultra-9 - BIOS flash failed - CMOS checksum error
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:25:02 am »
Hi

Try this to get the Backup BIOS to flashover your Main BIOS.

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.

If you fail try again as sometimes it takes a few tries.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

kusakd

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »
Thx Dark Mantis, but it doesn't work. I've tried it 20 or 30 times and no progress.. Still getting CMOS checksum error..

Is there another way how to tell mobo to use backup bios chip instead of the main one?

Thanks,
David

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:07:26 pm »
It might be that the BIOS is correct and the checksum error is because you are trying to use the wrong update file.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

kusakd

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »
I don't think I used bad update file - I downloaded&installed the @BIOS gigabyte utility and my motherboard was successfully autodetected. Then I clicked on "network BIOS update" (or something like that)  - then it offered me several update sites (usa, taiwan1/2, china, japan), I think I've chosen USA and then It just shown me one possible bios version to update (the new version F9d). Then the installation began and in 50%, it failed (as I mentioned).

So, now my BIOS is in strange state. I can't do anything with my computer. It won't boot, nor I can't go to BIOS Setup. I don't know, whether the BIOS is corrupted or not, but I definitely know, that it has been changed by the update (F9d instead of F2 version is now displayed during the POST and the POST screen looks slightly different than before the update)

Does anyone know, how to solve the problem? I still hope, that backup BIOS is not changed and can revert the main chip...
Is it possible to change the BIOS chips on the motherboard? Main BIOS chip <-> Backup BIOS chip?

Thanks,
David

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:28:51 pm »
That was your big mistake, usuing @BIOS to do the update. We always try and deter people from going down that road as this is the sort of thing that can happen. it is much safer to use the BIOS utility QFlash. Anyway too late now but try and remember for in the future.

The BIOS chips are not swappable because htey are soldered onto the motherboard they are not in push in sockets any more. I will PM you about something else to try.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

kusakd

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:03:18 pm »
I've finally fixed the problem. I post info for those with similar problem.

I tried many ways, how to make the computer use the backup bios instead of the main one, but nothing really worked..

Solution I post here is really DANGEROUS for your MOTHERBOARD and should not be used if you haven't tried other ways before. If you destroy your MB, you LOSE your WARRANTY.

The solution is based on the post here:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/40670-how-fix-dead-bios-dual-bios-gigabyte-mobo-ga-k8nxp-series.html

The principle is in putting the main BIOS chip temprarilly out of operation. Then the the backup BIOS chip is used and QFlash can restore data from the backup BIOS to the main BIOS chip. 

Here is link to my bios chip product sheet (page 3 contains the connection diagram).
http://www.datasheetdir.com/PM49FL002+download

According to the quoted post, pin 31 (CKL - clock) or pin 24 (OE - read enabled?) should be grounded while the POST is in progress.
31 did not worked for me, but grounding the pin 24 worked fine for me.
I used a sharpened distorted paper clip for doing that job. Press the one end firmly on the pin 24, the second end can be put to the GND of MOLEX connector (it is easier to connect pin-to-molex than pin-to-pin). Just make sure to connect GND, not +5 or +12V :-)

First, I turned on the computer, while the 24 was grounded. After a while, I disconnected the clip from the molex. Then I waited till the monitor started. After that, I connected the clip to the molex again for 3-4seconds. Then I saw that the main BIOS is restoring from the backup one.

I wasn't successful for the first try, it took more than 5 tries to find out when to connect and when to disconnect the clip to/from molex.

Hope it can be useful for anyone.
David

!!!!!!
PS: would be nice to tell someone from GIGABYTE that the @BIOS utility is CRAP and SHOULD NOT be RECOMMENDED to be USED in MB manual
!!!!!!!!!!

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 02:23:34 pm »
!!!!!!
PS: would be nice to tell someone from GIGABYTE that the @BIOS utility is CRAP and SHOULD NOT be RECOMMENDED to be USED in MB manual
!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that is likely to happen as it is one of Gigabyte's bundled programs. Sometimes it will work ok but as it runs on top of the OS it is far more likely to have problems.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB