Official GIGABYTE Forum

Piracy and timed software!

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Piracy and timed software!
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:32 am »

I resonantly had an issue with re-installing Windows on a re-build , using some new hardware including a PCI-E based boot drive adding an unknown into the fault analysis into the equation.........Probably 70 man hours wasted , these are my findings I feel compelled to share!

I understand the rudimentary of timed software, "At some predetermined  point in time your software becomes inoperable".......what I have just learnt is there's a time stamp on the install DVD as well that effectively Bricks the DVD as install media also at the pre-determined date........An install error the same as having a non-OS drive in the first boot order is given and this is using F12/...boot from CD-DVD

The piracy part is the Windows 7-64bit boxed version I purchased 9 months ago......is that it is actually a developers timed version produced for BETA testers and.............

1) A Perfect copy of a Microsoft product complete with identical case/booklet/security strips complete with holographic strip / DVD with Holographic pattern laminated at all the correct points across the face.

2) installs and validates with Microsoft servers perfectly with no issues .

3) Updates all critical and non critical updates including all validation tools and new versions of!

At no point in time did the server at Microsoft notify me I was running pirated software until I phoned in to have a download link supplied for what I thought a damaged install DVD ....uncomfortably I had to give my install code out over the phone to qualify for the download link...........I now find out The activation key that I thought I owned has been used ....well lets just say it's a three figure number!!!

I have been offered to partake in ukpiracy@microsoft.com program to get a £50 discount if I am found to meet there time consuming , strict criteria

Having 7 active Microsoft  licences at present and supporting MS for several years...........thanks for the support ,........Absolutely guttered

Aussie Allan

i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Piracy and timed software!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:13:28 am »
Hi Allan

It is a long standing problem that causes a lot of bad feeling amongst those involved. It has been happening ever since I can remember the first retail programs. The thing is you can see it from both sides but I think we expect a huge company like Micro$oft to be better able to take the hit than an individual who has purchased a pirate copy in good faith.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:23:48 am »
AA,

So sorry to hear your story...I hope the authorities can locate the people who sold you the pirated software!

That was absolutely terrible of them to do that!

I never purchase Windows software anymore from anyone I do not know.

I too learned the hard way!  :'(

Ouch!  Never, never never again!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:53:35 am »
AA,

Soar

Soar, You know that you never purchase Windows software anyway! By the way how is Uncle Bill ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:35:56 am »
AA,

Soar

Soar, You know that you never purchase Windows software anyway! By the way how is Uncle Bill ?

LOL!

I like your humor DM!

Ok, you are partially correct...I rarely purchase Microsoft's Operating systems because as stated before, they often give me their best for absolutely free.

On the other hand, I did purchase a number of Vista Ultimate 32 and 64 bit versions of MS's operating system about 2 years ago.  I met the gentleman through Craigslist and he seemed to be totally legit.  He convinced me he was a Microsoft Partner and had a 20-user license.  So, for $25 per license, I picked up 3. 

Took about one year and began to get the "this is pirated software" messages.

I sincerely thought about cooperating with the authorities in a sting operation on this guy...but decided against it.  One day he will sell to the wrong person and I am sure he will pay dearly for it...either be hurt by another criminal or picked up by anti pirate agents and pay one heck of a fine and maybe even some jail time.

Ya reap what ya sow.

Now, I no longer purchase anything from Craigslist, and I am extremely cautious if I sell too....and here is why:

A few weeks ago, at a nearby Walmart, a gentleman went to sell his Apple Phone 4 which he had advertised on Craigslist.

The "buyers" turned out to armed criminals.  They held him at gun point, took his phone, wallet, credit cards, and his car keys.  Next, they made him take all his clothes off and get out of the car as they drove off with his nice new Ford Mustang car.

He was found by the police wondering around in the crowded parking lot with not a stitch on! 

The criminals were apprehended one hour later about 40 miles south as they raced around in the gentleman's nice Ford Mustang.

Personally, I think they should hang people like that...but, oh well!  They will probably get 5-10 years in the brink and have quality time to think about their wonderful plan!

Soar

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Aussie Allan

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:57:58 am »
 Timed software........you should have screwed the poach but good, this is basicely the same software as I got done with.....it gives them the luxury of time before it goes tits up! leaving you holding the effectively stolen goods!

Personally , if Microsoft want to release trial/Beta software to get thousands of free  workers debugging there OS releases and in doing so leave the barn door open for these people to do there thing........they should be willing... to except the responsibility a bit more for there actions, at the moment there in a win,win situation..........After saying all that, at least after all these years,  Bill finally got it right with Windows 7

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:59:36 am by Aussie Allan »
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:43:24 am »
Well you know what they say "If you stick enough monkeys and enough word processors in a room....." It must have paid off for Bill this time.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »
Timed software........you should have screwed the poach but good, this is basicely the same software as I got done with.....it gives them the luxury of time before it goes tits up! leaving you holding the effectively stolen goods!

Personally , if Microsoft want to release trial/Beta software to get thousands of free  workers debugging there OS releases and in doing so leave the barn door open for these people to do there thing........they should be willing... to except the responsibility a bit more for there actions, at the moment there in a win,win situation..........After saying all that, at least after all these years,  Bill finally got it right with Windows 7

Aussie Allan

Allan, I know a lot of people speak negatively about Microsoft and Mr. Gates.  I like Microsoft.  They have always treated me well and have gone out of their way to help and assist me many, many times.

As I mentioned to DM, they have often invited me to their developer and/or new launch conferences, provided free breakfast and lunch, had incredibly professional people do the presentations and and answer our questions, and then, to top it off, they gave us free versions of their Ultimate versions of their last two OS's.

Can't get much better than that and I haven't even mentioned they partnership benefits!

I know of no other company that does it so well.

Finally, I know of no other person who donates so much money to worthy causes as Mr. Gates.  Now if we can just get him to consider Gigabyte forums! ;D

Oh,and I totally agree with you...Windows 7 is a fine operating system.  I love it!

Soar
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:24:42 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Aussie Allan

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:12:16 pm »

Soar

Cooled my heals a fair bit now after my rant,the dog's still hidding and my axe is razor sharp to boot ... to be fair I have always had a lot of respect for Billy, and your preaching to the converted ...my favourite dummy was a 3.1, Although something needs to be done re Piracy, Im sure if he dedicated 0.1% of his R&D budget to tackling the problem, they'd have it beat in under 5 years, Id be more then happy to donate my DNA as part of the activation key, because something like this, is what it's going to take!

His donations are......well astounding , not just the figures but where he directs them is inspirational.......If you ever need an off-sider on any of the school excursion you mentioned, I'm only an Email away.

P.S...I was one of the Smart ones who queued for "Vista Ultimate" when it was released .........Widows 7........he finally got it right!

Aussie Allan

MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:40 pm »
Me too I grabbed a couple of copies before release date and picked them up at a good price. Wish I had got a couple more now really.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:53:57 pm »
Man I hate to hear about stuff like this.  Sorry to hear AA.  I also have a story re a guy came onto the As!s (the other MB maker) as I was still working with a socket 775 Striker II Extreme.

He was selling copies of Windows 7 Ultimate about a week before it was to come out.  He had all sorts of ID and on one of the  the MS techie sites that you have to have some authority to even get onto the site but I could at least see that he was a member in good standing. 

Anyway I checked him up one side and down the other and I just thought that since he was being so bold as to come out on the forum there and sell the copies he must be legit.  Oh sure...  You know, now I can't remember exactly how he said he was able to get the copies that he had but it had to do with being a MS expert of some sort and the next thing I know he is directing me to PayPal no less and then after payment sends me a link to go and download the software.  Uh oh...

Right about then I started to get an uneasy feeling about the whole thing but others on the forum had also bought copies so I went along with it. 

It was about that time I happened to catch an article re stolen like proof or something of that  nature copies of Win 7 Ult 64 bit and then I really started to wonder and began asking him questions about what I had just bought.  He had an answer for everything but by now I was convinced that I was dealing with those stolen copies and asked for my money back.  Finally after about a week he gave in and returned my money.

Now like Soar there I firmly believe in what goes around comes around and that the guy would more than likely get his one day but then a few nights later I said the heck with it and called the MS hotline to report it and after speaking with this woman who acted like she really could care less if the guy was selling cart loads of MS software I never did tell her the guys name and finally after getting a run around from her I just hung up.

I too have learned my lesson though in buying from private parties.    I get most of my copies now from newegg.com here in the states.  They are usually about the cheapest for OEM versions of the OS and since I don't usually ever charge anyone for building them a computer because it gives me something to do (I'm retired)(real tired?) I don't feel badly about buying the OEM or builders version of thier OS's and I really doubt if MS cares a bunch becasue there must be literally 100's of thousands if not millions of people that buy the OEM from the egg. that are building their own PC's in their home.

I doubt if I will ever use Craig's List either becasue there have been families killed for an engagement ring over here and more.  Not unless I can take an AK (47) with me to the sale anyway...   ;D

WAR