Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA z68x UD7 problems with SLI - faulty mobo??

digsy

GA z68x UD7 problems with SLI - faulty mobo??
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »
Hi all,

Need some advise as I'm almost certain that my motherboard is faulty.

MAIN PROBLEM:
The problem is that when i enable SLI on on the Nvidia control panel, Windows 7 will not load the GTX 580 drivers
on reboot.

On reboot it comes up with standard VGA adapter and a code 43 error. 

I need to go to the device manager and delete the standard vga adapter and scan for new hardware for windows to detect and load the gtx580 drivers properly.  I can then game normally from here on but when i reboot the pc for what ever reason, it loads up with the code 43 error again with standard VGA adapters. (and yes i have the SLI bridge connected)

IS THIS RIGHT?

When i have SLI enable by doing the above method. Nvidia control panel tells me to that my GTX580 (1) is in a slow performing PCIE slot and to put it into a faster slot refer to mobo manual etc. My GTX 580 (1) is in the PCIE16_1 slot so how can this be.
When i confirm GPUZ it tells me that both my cards are in PCIE16 slots and running at 16X. Could this be the NF 200 chipset at work - its just that Nvida control panel doesnt read the extra lanes given by the NF200.

If i don't enable SLI Windows 7 load the GTX 580 drivers properly no matter how many times i reboot.
Ive tested my 2 EVGA GTX 580's in SLI on my brothers PC and it loads on reboot with no problems His rig is an i7 950 Asus X58 Maximus3 @ 4.3 6gb ram enermax 1020W psu . (definitely not the CARD)

SECONDARY PROBLEM:
Intermittently cannot get into the bios when i press del key on the POST screen.
Need to reset sometimes 3 times for the mobo to register that ive pressed the del key on my keyboard (tried on 2 keyboards same problem)

my system are as follows:

GA-Z68X-UD7 | i7 2600K @ 4.6 - ND-H14 | 16GB GSkill RipJaws X 1600 | EVGA GTX580 SLI | 60GB SSD 3x1TB RAID0 | CORSAIR HX850 PSU | FRACTAL R3 | DELL U2711

Here are the things that I've tried doing to rectify the problem but to no avail:

Reinstalled windows 7 x64 10 times (yes 10 times thinking it was an installation corruption)
Flashed bios to F4, F6, and latest F7beta and reverted back to F6
Flashed GTX580 to latest EVGA firmware
Flash SSD to latest OCZ firmware
Ran all settings in bios to default and CPU to default
Re inserted my 2 GTX 580s into the PCIE 16x slots
Alternate the 2 GTX 580s in their slots
Re inserted all my ram sticks
Re inserted my CPU and reapplied thermal paste
Re inserted all power connectors from PSU to mobo
Tried 2 different SLI bridges
Tried installing 2 previous releases of Nvidia drivers (now back to latest driver)
Moved my hard rives to different sata slots
Disabled on board LAN

Any help would be appreciated as im at a lost. Been at it for more than a week.
It its a no go, i will RMA the board in 5 days

Thank you

D

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA z68x UD7 problems with SLI - faulty mobo??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:31 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Nvidia is not my forte but you seem tyo have covered most angles. Have you installed the GPU drivers for each card ?

Have you made sure that you are running the latest BIOS version and motherboard chipset drivers ?

If you are using a USB keyboard try inserting a PS2 one instead for testing purposes.

You could try clearing the CMOS properly, loading Optimised BIOS defaults and then make sure that your cards are listed as the primary display.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:51:06 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

digsy

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:31 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Nvidia is not my forte but you seem tyo have covered most angles. Have you installed the GPU drivers for each card ?

Have you made sure that you are running the latest BIOS version and motherboard chipset drivers ?

If you are using a USB keyboard try inserting a PS2 one instead for testing purposes.

You could try clearing the CMOS properly, loading Optimised BIOS defaults and then make sure that your cards are listed as the primary display.

hi there thanks for the reply.
ive tried the latest bios, currently using the F6 version,
also have the latest chip set drivers from intel.

Ive also cleared the cmos countless times and ran optimal defaluts.

my PCIE 16_1 is the primary display.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »
Yes but did you clear the CMOS properly ? Please try doing it like these instructions:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

digsy

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »
Yes but did you clear the CMOS properly ? Please try doing it like these instructions:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

i didnt know the battery had to be out for an hour. i had it out for 5 minutes with the power cable unplugged.
when i rebooted the cmos was cleared and all my settings wiped clean.
i will try the meth u suggest. cheers

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »

DMs advise is top notch on full BIOS clear, I even cycle the power button a few times before re-assemble to absolutely drain any chance of residual power in capacitors.......it can't hurt anyway!

If this all fails to get results......you problems "Could" be driver conflict, or residual files/drivers that did not completely UN-install.

For years I had no problem, but about a year ago, I had an issue with a what turned out to be a video driver killing off some of my USB hardware and my PCI WiFi card.

It took Revo uninstaller to find (on it's deepest scan mode) all these residual Video driver files that only Revo could find (and see).........once deleted and a TRUE clean install of the video driver/s applicable did my problems disappear.

This showed me the value of completely uninstalling drivers (including hidden folders) prior to installing critical drivers.......Oh yeh! and The power of a really good Uninstaller

PS  "Realtek" is the other one that can cause issues if it's not totally cleaned out

Hope this helps ...........

Aussie Allan

i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

digsy

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:24:25 am »

DMs advise is top notch on full BIOS clear, I even cycle the power button a few times before re-assemble to absolutely drain any chance of residual power in capacitors.......it can't hurt anyway!

If this all fails to get results......you problems "Could" be driver conflict, or residual files/drivers that did not completely UN-install.

For years I had no problem, but about a year ago, I had an issue with a what turned out to be a video driver killing off some of my USB hardware and my PCI WiFi card.

It took Revo uninstaller to find (on it's deepest scan mode) all these residual Video driver files that only Revo could find (and see).........once deleted and a TRUE clean install of the video driver/s applicable did my problems disappear.

This showed me the value of completely uninstalling drivers (including hidden folders) prior to installing critical drivers.......Oh yeh! and The power of a really good Uninstaller

PS  "Realtek" is the other one that can cause issues if it's not totally cleaned out

Hope this helps ...........

Aussie Allan

Hi Aussie Allan, you must be an expat :)

Thanks for the reply. I have clean install at the moment with the latest forceware drivers 275.33.
I don't understand why i would need to uninstall the the drivers?

This is probably my 10th fresh formatted clean install of win7. And in previous installs ive installed different versions of drivers natively without ever un installing and reinstalling drivers.

Anyway will give it a go.

any thoughts on this

IS THIS RIGHT?
When i have SLI enable by doing the above method. Nvidia control panel tells me to that my GTX580 (1) is in a slow performing PCIE slot and to put it into a faster slot refer to mobo manual etc. My GTX 580 (1) is in the PCIE16_1 slot so how can this be.
When i confirm GPUZ it tells me that both my cards are in PCIE16 slots and running at 16X. Could this be the NF 200 chipset at work - its just that Nvida control panel doesnt read the extra lanes given by the NF200.