Official GIGABYTE Forum

installation question

installation question
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:59:42 pm »
i am about to build my first systrm using a z68 board and have a question about the bios setup. i am really anxious about using the bios. here's the deal, i get the motherboard and components installed; and all the cables installed. and now i am really to turn it on for the first time; is there another option other than hitting delete in order to enter bios and make the necessary changes to get it up and running? can i use any of the new utilities like smart response or touch bios to do this automatically?

thanks.

dave.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: installation question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:39:49 pm »

Dave

Yes I'm reading between the lines here, You won't break anything, boards are too smart now ;)  ... If you hit the on button and run behind the couch ... it'll just go through the boot phase and end up at a flashing prompt........It always takes two people to punch in the self-destruct codes (Tee Hee!)

If you hit/(tap,tap,tap) the delete key when prompted you will just get to the BIOS set-up..........no big deal........in fact it's a really good chance to have the manual in your lap and just look through the various windows of settings to familiarize yourself with your new high powered toy.

Good place to  start is the Health Status.......you'll be able to see all sorts of fun stuff you'll be interested in! ...... You will have to get to know your BIOS to go forward...........boards are so smart now, if they don't like what you've done, they just turn off, call you a Wally, and reboot after changing the offending settings

above all read the manual like a novel, start at the front and read it all!.... this will give your memory an index when problems arise.... like, Oh Yeh! I remember reading something about that in chapter 4 or 5!

At the end of the day , you have a huge resource of friendly people here if you get into trouble

To get the rig up to the stage of being Automatic....... the smarter brain has to configure it.......Have fun......... ;)

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: installation question
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:53:50 am »
What Allan with his fine sense of humour is telling you is correct. Go through the manual and get a feel for the way the motherboard works and the BIOS operates and then have a look at the real thing. At any time you can load Optimised BIOS Defaults and put the settings back to how they were in the first place.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB