Official GIGABYTE Forum

New Build With GA-X58A-UD3R Questions

wbear

New Build With GA-X58A-UD3R Questions
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:02:14 pm »
Hi.
Just joined this very informative forum. I am not new to computers (got my first Apple II in 1982) but this is my first build from scratch. Had a M61P-S3 and GT 240 in a previous store bought custom build, liked them and decided to go Gigabyte in this build.

I have ordered most of the parts and they are now coming in but I could return some if necessary. Want some feedback and opinions before I make a mistake.

I am not a gamer nor do I normally work with video conversion or use Photoshop. I am just a "technology enthusiast" who wants a fast build with the latest stuff that will satisfy me for several years to come.

Already on the way are: Corsair 650D case, I7 960 Bloomfield 3.2GHZ, GA-X58A-UD3R (I assume rev 2), 12gb (3x4gb) triple channel kit of Corsair Vengeance Ram 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v, A50 Cpu Cooler, Gigabyte GTX 550 TI Graphics card.

I am getting ready to order an Intel SSD for the OS and a WD sata HD, 1 or 1.5 TB, either Caviar Black or an RE4 depending on feedback about need for sata2 or 3.

I spoke to a tech at gigabyte for MB/chip recommendations for my use and ended up with what I have ordered. I mentioned Sandy Bridge and associated MB but for the price he felt the 1366 would more than meet my requirements. The only concern I have after research is perhaps another MB/chip combination would not have the sata3 limitations? Waiting for IVY Bridge or whatever is possible but I wanted something now but I can wait.

1. I have read Lots of previous threads here and know that the marvell chip is going to limit any sata3 speed advantages and I don't want to add a PCIe card. I know I need to use the Intel ICH10R sata2 0 port for the SSD Boot drive and the next port for the HDD (thanks Dark Mantis).

I can buy the Intel SSD in sata2 or 3 and the HDD in 2 or 3. Is there any speed advantage to running the example sata3 devices on the sata2 ports vs  the same devices in sata2? I thought maybe the ICH10R ports would have the capability for a little extra speed if fed from sata3 vs sata2? I also thought the sata3 devices would stay current longer so in a few years I would only need a MB upgrade? If the sata3 devices will not run faster on the ports then I could go sata2 and get a little more size and bang for the buck on the SSD.

2. I know the SSD shouldn't go on the Marvell ports but is a sata 3 HDD also not working on them and no advantage?

3. Regardless of where the SSD and HDD end up which controller/port should I use for my sata optical drive?

4. Corsair assured me the memory will work perfect with the MB/chip combo if I set the bios to XMP profile 1. Is this correct in your opinion?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:09:33 pm by wbear »

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: New Build With GA-X58A-UD3R Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:45:32 pm »

Hay little Bear

Well I think I'm getting a feel of where your coming from but if you only upgrade every 6 or 7 years, as a die hard "technology enthusiast" you're  about to go through a life changing experience with what we have now compared to even 5 years ago.

I understand the board you have, as I have one my self, and have been to hell and back to get it performing to the level I wanted!

Don't get me wrong, ... great board, but it has some issues, don't they all too some way, shape or form!..... My main one was overall /C: drive speed!

I know have what I want with 825 Mb/s read and 600Mb/s write speeds.......with 3TB for programs and storage running about half that!

Marvell on this board will work at SATA II but best left for Optical........GSATA!....... I don't know anyone that uses it to be honest so I never went down this path.........you can Saturate the 6x ICH10R SATAs with mechanical hard drive but the best I got was about 425Mb/s with raid0.........albeit with oldish Samsung Spin Points .... which fits with what I've been told that this Intel controller is saturated at about the 450 mark and will not go any further

Which leads me to your surprise remark......."I don't want to add a PCIe card"..... Did you mean a sata raid card ?...... or are you talking about denying yourself the biggest step up and over SATA SSD available on the market presently giving me the speeds quoted above out of the box.

Going of your projected spec usage..... these would fit your shoes better then SSD ....... I doubt you will have more then one video card leaving a few PCI-E slot with no friends to talk too! ... PCI Drives have come a long way and worth a look........I did and never looked back!

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

wbear

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:05:28 am »
Thanks for the reply Aussie.
I meant I didn't want to add a card to provide working sata3 ports for the SSD/HDD to connect to.
If I'm gonna have to do that I'll stick with sata2 or get a different MB that does have ports with real sata3 speed.
I'm not really interested in Raid, I think a single large drive for storage will get me by even if I can't get sata3 speeds with it.
I would like to try a SSD for the OS just to see what they are like.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:21:19 am »
Hi

I think Allan has already covered most of your points but just to clarify, the PCIE drive he is talking about is a SSD equivalent that connects via the PCIE bus. This is faster and more future proof than the normal SSD which connects via SATA ports. It is called an OCZ RevoX2 drive if you want to Google it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:43 am »
 With no raid requirement and what's available in SSD ATM you will not be disappointed.......a GOOD SSD is like chalk and cheese to magnetic drives, ...SATA  SSDs can provide up to 5x the performance you're probably using right now, still short to the 10x performance gains I get from my Revo drive but not to be sneezed at.......... and how you want to run it means you'll be using TRIM, ... another plus!

Later boards do support 6Gb/s SATA III But no bang for buck for you there.......you like me might be better off waiting for the Z79 chip-set to come out before upgrading to get any real performance gains.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

wbear

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 06:12:23 pm »
Thanks to both of you for the replys.

I did not realize exactly what the OCZ RevoX2 drive was until I googled it. That is some fast performance!
Thanks for turning me on to it.

I would like to use trim. I see that the new Revo 3 x2 240GB PCIe SSD is out soon and has:

"VCA (Virtualized Controller Architecture) Technology now enables TRIM and enhances enterprise features to include SMART monitoring, NCQ, TCQ, power failure management as well as wear-leveling in the Revo 3 and Z Drive series."

I might go with a revo 3 down the road since its even more user friendly for daily desk topping. I think for now I'll go with a single SSD on a sata port with a HDD for storage. Later I could put the SSD in my laptop, go with the Revo 3 and not waste $.

So, knowing that can you give me more feedback on these questions:

1. I know the SSD shouldn't go on the Marvell ports but is a sata3 HDD also not working on them and no advantage over a sata2 on the ICH10R ports?

2. Regardless of where the SSD and HDD end up which specific controller/port should I use for my sata optical drive?

3. Corsair assured me the memory will work perfect with the MB/chip combo if I set the bios to XMP profile 1. Is this correct in your opinion?

4. Is there any hope the Marvell chip issues will be solved by software/driver/bios update so the sata3 ports will work as advertised?

Thanks

Aussie Allan

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:27 pm »
I did not realize exactly what the OCZ RevoX2 drive was until I googled it. That is some fast performance!
Thanks for turning me on to it....Not a problem, there's a growing minority out there tired of waiting for the SATA (II , III) standard to deliver the through put that SSDs can deliver, ... hence the move to PCI-E ports that CAN carry the extra bandwidth!

I would like to use trim. I see that the new Revo 3 x2 240GB PCIe SSD is out soon and has:

"VCA (Virtualized Controller Architecture) Technology now enables TRIM and enhances enterprise features to include SMART monitoring, NCQ, TCQ, power failure management as well as wear-leveling in the Revo 3 and Z Drive series."

I might go with a revo 3 down the road since its even more user friendly for daily desk topping. I think for now I'll go with a single SSD on a sata port with a HDD for storage. Later I could put the SSD in my laptop, go with the Revo 3 and not waste $. That will work, currently the Revos use not TRIM , but garbage collection! a similar technology but does it's thing when the system is in idle

So, knowing that can you give me more feedback on these questions:

1. I know the SSD shouldn't go on the Marvell ports but is a sata3 HDD also not working on them and no advantage over a sata2 on the ICH10R ports?.......Already answered this but Marvell on This board delivers speed about the same as ICH10R, ... most recommend for optical only other say fine for drives, just don't expect it to deliver anything more then SATA II speeds ( A tad less then the ICH10R ports)

2. Regardless of where the SSD and HDD end up which specific controller/port should I use for my sata optical drive?.....See above!

3. Corsair assured me the memory will work perfect with the MB/chip combo if I set the bios to XMP profile 1. Is this correct in your opinion?....................Corsair is fine Memory.........personally I would set to XMP Profile 1.....copy all the setting down..........then set these manually

4. Is there any hope the Marvell chip issues will be solved by software/driver/bios update so the sata3 ports will work as advertised?
.............Funny you should mention this, ... read this thread below and stay tuned.....things are moving along to a point I'll be posting some information shortly.............http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5486.msg44079.html#msg44079

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:42:28 pm by Aussie Allan »
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

wbear

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »
Thanks Aussie, your original answers must have went right over my head!

Ok I think I have it straight now, I am learning.

Just for future reference is it advantageous to put the optical drive on another controller if the MB has one available as opposed to sticking it on the ICH10R with the drives, especially as you noted the Marvell is no faster?  Is it also your opinion on this MB that the optical would perform better on the Marvell ports instead of the other option, the 2 Gigabyte GSATA2 ports?

I should have all the parts soon to start assembly. If you are up for it I may need some more advice. With the many parts going in to the build I wonder what the chances are everything will go together hassle free and work the first time?

I'll keep watching for your update on the possible Marvell fix. From reading it looks like our board is not the only one suffering as many Mfg's bought into the Marvell hype.

wbear

Aussie Allan

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »
Thanks Aussie, your original answers must have went right over my head!.

A).......That OK, sometimes it needs explaining from a couple of directions before it hits the cranial bullseye with a ooooOOooooh!

Ok I think I have it straight now, I am learning.

Just for future reference is it advantageous to put the optical drive on another controller if the MB has one available as opposed to sticking it on the ICH10R with the drives, especially as you noted the Marvell is no faster?  Is it also your opinion on this MB that the optical would perform better on the Marvell ports instead of the other option, the 2 Gigabyte GSATA2 ports?

A)...... Pick any SATA Port on any motherboard for optical, it's still like shooting a sparrow with a 50 cal Barret!.... don't worry, you'll have more then enough bandwidth with any Disc you throw at it!..... I'd go Marvell first choice.....GSATA, option 2

I should have all the parts soon to start assembly. If you are up for it I may need some more advice. With the many parts going in to the build I wonder what the chances are everything will go together hassle free and work the first time?

A)...... If it does, you'll be the first in history!.....if you do all the right things, there's usually some little nigerly glitch..... just about always pilot error!..... what this site is about is a community  of people that know 10% of everything there is to know about computers, hopefully everybody has a different 10% .... if I don't know ....there's someone else out there that can step up to the plate and help you out!

I'll keep watching for your update on the possible Marvell fix. From reading it looks like our board is not the only one suffering as many Mfg's bought into the Marvell hype.......

A) Man I reckon there's about a four million of the Mfg's.........Four million and one counting me! ::)....Aussie Allan

wbear

MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

wbear

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:09:23 am »
Alright then I'm just waiting on the SSD and new HDD which will be in soon but let me pick your brain some more.
I will be doing a clean Win 7 64 install to the SSD.

1. I should download and have ready the latest drivers instead using the old ones supplied on the disk?

2. I should download from station-drivers instead of getting them from the official Gigabyte web site where they are older, some several versions older?

3. I should install the latest bios before installing the OS or install the OS with the one already on the board and then install the latest?

4. I should use the final bios from station-drivers, FG, or use the latest from the Gigabyte web site FG1?

5. I should be satisfied with the bios that comes on the GA-X58A-UD3R no matter how old it is and never update unless I have an actual problem?
   ( I know to use Q Flash)

6. I should not bother updating the Raid drivers since I'm not Raiding anything (but I am using AHCI mode whose drivers are included in the Raid updates)?

7. I should update the latest Marvell drivers from Station-Drivers in hopes it might improve something?

8. Same question for the Marvell firmware on Station-Drivers? (Gigabyte site doesn't even have firmware updates)

9. For a novice what is the diff between firmware and drivers for the Marvell?

10. Well to make it an even 10 can you think of any important things to set in the bios before installing the OS for an SSD besides switching to AHCI mode?

Lot's of questions but perhaps they will be of use to other beginners who find this board.

Thanks

Aussie Allan

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 08:27:10 am »
Alright then I'm just waiting on the SSD and new HDD which will be in soon but let me pick your brain some more.
I will be doing a clean Win 7 64 install to the SSD.

1. I should download and have ready the latest drivers instead using the old ones supplied on the disk?

A) I do this, It just makes sense, ...... use a USB key to hold them and mark them clearly, once you have 15/20 drivers on it, it starts getting confusing!

2. I should download from station-drivers instead of getting them from the official Gigabyte web site where they are older, some several versions older?

A)  For the novice I reckon you're better off with official Gigabyte drivers, ... less problems for you, Gigabyte Drive could/can be tweaked to work better with gigabyte hardware and generally give you zero problems......where something like "Station Drivers" can also be tweaked but usually for raw performance,but can introduce compatibility and side issues ..... or sometimes they just get the official drivers first and or BETA ones!

3. I should install the latest bios before installing the OS or install the OS with the one already on the board and then install the latest?

A) Do this later when things are stable and up and running, ...generally you only do this if you're having problems with the install and suspect the BIOS or BIOS version

4. I should use the final bios from station-drivers, FG, or use the latest from the Gigabyte web site FG1?

A) See above although I think it's up too FG2, FH1, FH1b  I asume these would be tweaked and probably not by Gigabyte! ...FG and FG1 from memory are Gigabyte BIOS drivers.

5. I should be satisfied with the bios that comes on the GA-X58A-UD3R no matter how old it is and never update unless I have an actual problem?
   ( I know to use Q Flash)

A) Why not! start here anyway.........the more changes you effect in the beginning ,.... the more thing can go wrong!

6. I should not bother updating the Raid drivers since I'm not Raiding anything (but I am using AHCI mode whose drivers are included in the Raid updates)?

A)  you answered it your self...... the AHCI drivers in windows are actually pretty good.......if there installed , ... you can update them later.

7. I should update the latest Marvell drivers from Station-Drivers in hopes it might improve something?

A) Actually I would say "Yes" to this one and install them during the windows install.....a little birdie has told me this can actually make a difference to the Marvell controllers performance.....just prior to the OS install there an option to install extra drivers, .....do it here!

8. Same question for the Marvell firmware on Station-Drivers? (Gigabyte site doesn't even have firmware updates)

A) see above!

9. For a novice what is the diff between firmware and drivers for the Marvell?

A) Drivers are just a layer between your hardware and the OS .... allows the operating system to communicate with the target hardware.....firmware is similar and another layer.....different drivers can be applied to and work with said firmware versions.

10. Well to make it an even 10 can you think of any important things to set in the bios before installing the OS for an SSD besides switching to AHCI mode?

A)......64, ... not 32....read your manual twice....a lot of answers are between the first and last page!

Lot's of questions but perhaps they will be of use to other beginners who find this board.

A) Yup!......That the reason we go the extra mile........

Thanks

Aussie Allan up Top!
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone