Official GIGABYTE Forum

GBB36X controller question?

GBB36X controller question?
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:35:10 pm »
I just ran the compatibility test for Windows 7.  It informs me that one item needs attention.  It says that the Gigabyte GBB36X controller driver needs to be updated.  Well, I googled it, found several (well, actually more than several) but I didn't see one that says it is for Win 7.  My motherboard is a GA-MA790X-UD4P.

Can someone here give me a hand?  Where do I get that driver?  I have ordered the Win 7 upgrade which I assume will be out around the end of October, thus I'm thinking that I ought to get "my ducks in a row" now.

Thank you.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: GBB36X controller question?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:36:16 am »
Hi BobHolmes

Please provide following information, in order to help you:
1. Basic configuration including CPU, BIOS version, memory type & size, HDD and other devices involved.
2. Drivers' versions (and where did you get them from).
3. Testing program (do you use DMS Clarity Tracker Agent for this checking?) / other programs that already installed
4. Computer and system information screen shot from your system, if possible.

ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »
Name:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.GA-MA790X-UD4P
BIOS Version :GA-MA790X-UD4P F5
CPU Name :AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor
Memory information :2,097,151 KB RAM
OS information :Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
CD version information :AMD UD3 7-Series Utility DVD 2.01 B9.0217.2

The above comes off of the dvd that came with the board.  I have a Phenom II x3 720BE CPU, 4GB of A-data memory DDR2 800+, two sata hard drives (no raid, don't understand it) and one external hard drive, 520w Corsair PSU, XFX 4850 vid card, Antec 300 case, etc.  I don't know what a testing program is.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you for your assistance.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:33:15 pm »
Hi

According to Microsoft "In general, if your PC can run Windows Vista, it can run Windows 7" - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx, so you shouldn't be worried too much ;)

Anyway it's probably Gigabyte SATA2 RAID controller (servicing GSATA2_0, GSAT2_1 ports), which you don't use now.
So you can disable it in the BIOS:  Integrated Peripherals --> Onboard GSATA-II Ctrl : Disabled.
Or if you want to use it in future then Win 7 drivers are available here

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:24:05 pm by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:18:57 pm »
I greatly appreciate your help.  I'm probably gonna take your advice and disable this thing.  I have always wondered what GSATA was, but I don't guess I need it.  I was just curious.

Thank you for your help. :)