Official GIGABYTE Forum

Black screen shutdown; GA-890GPA-UD3H w/ AMD athlon II x4 630

AdamG

Hello,
My name is adam; I purchased a Gigabyte motherboard (Model GA-890GPA-UD3H Revision 1.0), The hardware currently installed in this mother board is as follows:
CPU AMD|ATH II X4 630 AM3 RT  model # ADX630wfgibox
RAM: MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (4gb)
HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS;
PSU ROSEWILL| 700W RV2-700 RT

Last year I had submitted ticket trying to trouble shoot a Pre-operating screen issue, where during motherboard screen it would appear Scrambled, and pixelated with red, and green/blue boxes. After following the suggestion i switched from the stock Power supply that came with the raidmax case, to a roswill PSU ROSEWILL| 700W RV2-700 RT.

image of ticket:

After replacing the Powersupply, the motherboard screen scramble went away upon random reboots, but now i have a problem that is occurring that has me baffled. The computer Shuts down with a black screen, and i cannot use the power button or reset button to control the restart or finish the shut down (fans, lights, all still running, but the input to the monitor and usb devices stops, and the system stays dormat in that state untill power supply is tripped on the back with the switch. The main issue im noticing every single time before the power interruption issue is what i expect to be the correlating cause;

Every single time my computer goes into this state, its always preceding this filter manager event (no longer then 2-6 seconds), filter manager does not appear in logs except preceding the power interruption/crash. I do receive occasional blue screens, but i have tried switching ram sticks out and it still occurs with either one, im planning on running memtest soon but i doubt is the cause, as they were bought brand new with the motherboard ect...

I dont really know what the next step is to take because it says during BIOS update any interruption can result in the system to malfunction/not boot properly. I dont really think its worth the risk to try, even in checkdisk run at beginning i can receive this black screen, or in safe mode. Im monitoring the core and pc temps, the highest ive seen is 105 Fahrenheit, and i have checked around and discussed average temps, this does not seem to exceed a high or unstable temperature for this core to operate at under normal circumstances.

Im pretty much using this forum as last resort to reach out and maybe get some advice on where to go next in terms of testing, and how can i even test anything if the system seems to black screen so often? I dont want to damage the motherboard by attempting to update something while experiencing instability. I also notice a weird "red verticle lines" going accross my screen when a game or graphic heavy program is open in the back ground, it can change with the changing of the custom sizing of a window, so if i was to change to make the window bigger, the lines might disappear untill i switch windows and again they are seen. Can also happen outside of any game, just at desktop and see faint red lines, except when its a white background, the lines are light blue.... pretty discouraging

win 7 64bit as well for o/s ...

thx for your time
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:42:53 am by AdamG »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Black screen shutdown; GA-890GPA-UD3H w/ AMD athlon II x4 630
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:13:45 am »
Hi there Adam,

Reading through your post, my first thought was that it is a BIOS issue and possibly to do with CPU support so I checked and according to the Gigabyte website it would seem that the Ahtlon x4 630 CPU is only officially supported on your motherboard from BIOS version F7 (Check Here for CPU Support: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3342 ) and if you haven't updated it then, according to your image of the support ticket, you are still running BIOS F5.

BUT, this has got alarm bells ringing in my head as going through the CPU support list it shows that NO Processor is "officially supported until BIOS F7.  :o This can't be right as the board was originally released with BIOS version F3.

Saying all that, I still feel that the BIOS is the cause of the problem but I would not recommend attempting to update it until we can find out what is going on with the CPU support list and which BIOS Version is needed for your choice of processor.

I would recommend that you raise another support ticket with Gigabyte on your side of the pond asking about this and I will do the same here and when we get an answer post back and we can move forward from there.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

AdamG

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 07:58:51 pm »
Okie, yea i included what you were referencing with the BIOS version and support for my processor, including this forums link and such for the ticket to gigabyte; They have responded already asking me if there is anyway to verify if all my hardware is functional, and if so to send the motherboard in for examination, the problem is i dont really know anyone personally that owns an AMD board to test the cpu, most people i know have either laptops or intel boards; somewhat disappointed, either way theres going to be some down time -.-;

Hmm well it appears im going to have to get my old dell asap, and ship this one out, id like to send processor with it somehow, maybe in same box if they desired. Anyhow thx for your time, im going to attempt to RMA if i can get stable long enough to check this site out Lol..

By the way, i tried unplugging HDD and just entering bios menu, and after a few mins it did black screen, so im sure its not related to HDD, and Probably not related to RAM either, looks like it is the motherboard  :'( :-X

btw heres related ss, top off mozilla where i can see lines atm, but its generally in any area, just to show what they look like.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:24:30 pm by AdamG »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:18:44 am »
Hi Adam,

I got pretty similar advice from Gigabyte over here.

I wouldn't send your CPU though as Gigabyte should have enough different models to do the testing and you don't want to run the risk of losing it.

Good luck with the RMA and please let us know how you get on.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.