Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890GPA-UD3H CPU Temperature sensor bad?

blackie

GA-890GPA-UD3H CPU Temperature sensor bad?
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:26:58 pm »
This should probably be titled my CPU fan is driving me nuts!

The BIOS reports that the CPU is running at 39 degrees Centigrade. SpeedFan and HWINFO report that the CPU chip itself is reporting 27 degrees.

I figure the CPU reading is correct and the BIOS reading is incorrect (12 degrees difference is huge!).

This causes the BIOS to run the CPU fan at a higher speed than I think it should – and it's loud.

So – is the motherboard sensor faulty? OR is the sensor not being cooled well?

I am leaning towards the MB sensor not being cooled properly and I am thinking that it might be something as simple as a heat radiator not being properly installed.

Comments are appreciated and suggestions most welcome.

(And before you ask I could go to better cooling control via an non-BIOS method but those have their own problems such as extra cost/cabling/software/etc)/

Thanks!
GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.1 (BIOS FF)
AMD X6 1090T o/c to 4.0 GHz - W Hyper 212 EVO cooler
Win 7 HP 64-bit SP1
(2) 4GB G.Skill PC12800 @ 1333 MHz
Corsair TX850 PS & 850D Case
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD & Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA HDs
ASUS GTX 560 TI (factory O/C'ed), Two 22" Monitors
LITE-ON iHAS42

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H CPU Temperature sensor bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:05:42 am »
Hi there,

the temps you are getting on the 1090T are about right for it especially if you are using the stock cooler and there is usually a difference between the readings in BIOS and software so you don't have too much to worry about that. The reason for the difference is the way the BIOS is reading the processors actual temp and the software usually reads the core temps.That's the good news!

The bad news is that there is no real control via the motherboard for the CPU Fan speed control and I'm not really sure if EasyTune will let you pull the speed of the fan back to make it quieter. I had similar issues on the GA-890FXA-UD5 and resorted to investing in a decent third party cooler as the stock AMD fan was way to noisy but, that comes at a price.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.