Official GIGABYTE Forum

Reinstall Win7 on C: while saving RAID on other drives

Reinstall Win7 on C: while saving RAID on other drives
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:23:55 pm »
I have a Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H motherboard with an AMD Athlon II X4 3GHz CPU, assembled in 2010.  My system drive is a single Seagate 1TB hard drive on GSATA2 port 6, which is partially failed (I/O errors, could only get it to boot safe mode, but I was able to SLOWLY copy some info off of it). So that needs to be replaced and have Win7 re-installed. 

Also in the system are 2 2TB drives set up as RAID 1 on SATA3 ports 0 & 1, and 2 3TB drives set up as RAID 1 on SATA3 ports 2 & 3.  The two true RAIDs contain all our precious personal media (photos, videos, documents, music, etc.).

So here's the question(s):  Since one should only plug in the drive intended to be C: when installing Windows (to avoid it being installed on the wrong physical drive), I assume I should temporarily unplug the RAID drives until Windows 7 is installed again.  If I do that, will the RAID settings in the BIOS be maintained, such that I could simply plug the RAID drives up again without having to re-create them and, heaven forbid, lose any of their data?  I just want to make sure that when I connect the RAID drives again, I can tell the system "these2  are a RAID, and these 2 are a RAID, please don't format or delete them."  Can I safely disconnect the RAID drives and proceed with a re-install of Windows on a fresh c: drive?

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!  It's stressful to worry about so much precious RAID data.  :-)

mikeyb5753

Re: Reinstall Win7 on C: while saving RAID on other drives
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:25:15 am »
yes, you can disconnect the RAID drives to install windows, all settings will be maintained.
F2A88XM-HD3
A8-5500 - Coolermaster Seidon 120M
8GB
2x msi 7850 twin frozr
Corsair CX430M
Sandisk 120GB SSD
Seagate 3TB

Re: Reinstall Win7 on C: while saving RAID on other drives
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:46:09 am »
Thank you, Mikey B!  Just that little bit of info from a kind forum stranger will help my nervousness.