Official GIGABYTE Forum

How can I switch to AHCI Mode after installing Windows in IDE Mode?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: How can I switch to AHCI Mode after installing Windows in IDE Mode?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 08:34:58 am »
I have just spent several hours trying to switch Windows XP (SP3) from IDE mode to AHCI on the AMD platform without success. I can install XP in AHCI by using F6 to load the AHCI Driver but I can't find a way to switch it to AHCI after installing in IDE. Even the known working AHCI driver is rejected when trying to manually install it with the message "No supported hardware".

If anyone knows how to do this on an AMD system (all the How To's that I have found are for the Intel Platform) could you post details as, for the moment I am stumped by this one.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 05:12:05 pm »
Hi Absic,

I am not sure, but I find this:

If you read section:
Installation Instructions and Manual Install

I view then is very special....

So maybe this webpage help you....
http://support.lenovo.com/en_TH/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74324

With ajustments about drivers for your motherboard or chipset for amd AHCI .... and use Win xp (SP3 ???) ....

Gloup_Gloup

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 05:35:24 pm »
Hi Absic,

I find too : http://forum.tt-hardware.com/topic-98099--Instal-pilote-ahci-sur-AMD-sans-reinstal-XP.htm

il faut d'abord configurer une partie des ports sata en ide et l'autre en ahci
en general il y a toujours 2 groupes de ports discossiables ca les lecteur dvd sata ne supportent pas encore tous le mode ahci et on doit les laisser en ide donc j'ai plugge mais dd sur deux port en ide a l'instal et laisse active l'autre groupe de ports en ahci sans rien de branche dessus

j'ai verifié la presence dans le gestionnaire de periph l'onglet controleur SCI et RAid puis j'ai reboote passe dans le bios pour tout passer en ahci et ho miracle tout a marche

TRADUCTION:

Must first configure some of the SATA ports in IDE and the other in ahci.
In general there are always two groups of ports discossiables because the sata dvd drive does not yet support all the ahci mode and must leave the IDE.

So I plug in my hard drive on two IDE port for the installation and leaves the other group of active ports in ahci without connecting on it

In Windows, I have verified the presence, in the Device Manager, the SCSI and Raid controller. If yes ok.

Finally I reboot into the bios, change a setting for all to ahci and ho miracle it all works.

I hope this infos help you, Absic,

Gloup_Gloup

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 07:01:14 pm »
Hi Gloup_Gloup,

Thanks for the help but I did try that link, along with quite a few others, during my efforts yesterday, but sadly it didn't help.

I also tried the translated version that you have posted but sadly on the AMD system it wouldn't install any AHCI Drivers or the XP Raid drivers whilst in IDE Mode. These drivers worked perfectly when using F6 but threw up the error I mentioned earlie, of "No supported hardware", which is obviously not true as everything works perfectly in AHCI mode with Windows Vista and Windows 7.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:01:58 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 11:03:06 am »
Hi Absic, ;)

What is exact Type of bus and SouthBridge. About your AMD computer....

Gloup_Gloup

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 11:10:36 am »
Hi Gloup_Gloup

the motherboard I tested on was the GA-990FXA-UD5

The Southbridge is AMD SB950 and Northbridge is the AMD 990FX.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 12:18:03 pm »
Hi Absic,

I find this, Extract : If I took the SB950 out of RAID mode and booted from a single AHCI volume on ports 4 or 5 I was OK and the Marvell controller behaved correctly.

source : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/07/12/gigabyte_990fxaud7_motherboard_review/4

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:40 pm »
Hi again,

The Method B, page 89 of manual is not funtionnel?

You must install the drivers manually by going to the. Inf file on the USB key or DVD or other media.

Gloup_Gloup

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »
Hi Gloup_Gloup,

thanks for the link but sadly this doesn't actually address the problem of switching Windows XP Service Pack 3 from IDE to AHCI mode after installation on the AMD platform.

In my testing of this issue, I only had the one HDD drive attached to the AMD SATA3_0 port and a DVD/CD drive attached to one of the Marvell Ports. I installed the OS in IDE Mode but then could not switch to AHCI mode as nothing I could do would allow me to install the AHCI Drivers from either AMD or Microsoft. I am not concerned about using the Marvell ports here, just the AMD SATA ports.

You must install the drivers manually by going to the. Inf file on the USB key or DVD or other media.
I tried this but it only works if you are doing a clean install in AHCI Mode not if you want to switch from IDE to AHCI afterwards.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:39:49 pm by absic »

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 12:53:56 pm »
Hi absic,

I understands... you not concerning by marvell....

But  i have a idea:

First of course... in bios not choose AHCI before finish install Win.

Second install Marvell drivers... go to windows , check in Device Manager if you have a AHCI installed... , if necessary go to step 4.

3e : Install drivers for southbridge ahci , go to windows ... check in Device Manager if you have AHCI installed

4. active AHCI

5. connect your device in sata_ port.... southbridge..

6. check a result....

7. delete , remove marvel drivers... normaly AHCI, now is ok for southbridge.

Have you tried it ? so you have a experience (many hours) .... maybe my step is not perfect... but this is my idea...

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 07:54:32 am »
Hi Everyone

Right i used the above ide work around sucsessfully on my old GA-M68SM-SL2 mobo

When i installed my new mobo i installed Win7 with only my SSD installed as i was having problems with Win 7 installing ( but thats another story ).
ACHI mode was selected in the BIOS and all went ok. Installed in ACHI mode and i was happy.

I then plugged in my other 3 drives and started machine and now searched for on drives. Must take about 5 mins before it loads and then hangs at Verifying DMI pool data.

After several unsucessful attempts, i change the BIOS to IDE mode and machine boots ok.

No big deal, but i would like AHCI mode for my SSD.

Any advice?
Better to Burn out than Fade away

Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3L with F5g BIOS
Phenom II X4 965 OC @ 3.8 GHz
120gb OCZ Vertex 460, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive,
2 x SK Hynix 2 GB DDR3-1333
Asus HD 7850 DirectCU II V2 2GB
LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
OCZ 750 Watt PSU
Windows 8.1 64bit

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10:38 am »
It is probably findiong conflicting data in the CMOS so try clearing the CMOS first and then selecting AHCI mode.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 02:05:02 am »
Hi Everyone

I follow the step in register for change my Gsata6-7  to AHCI mode beacause i use a C300 64GIG on my GA X58A UD3R rev 2. (Bios FH)

But now my disk data tranfer rate drop down to 5.9 ( in IDE i have 6.9 ). Windows 7 64bits .Do you know why ?

Thank

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 07:17:37 am »
WINDOWS 8 tweak

You can change Windows 8 from IDE to AHCI Mode and once again it is a simple registry tweak that you need to apply. The only difference is that Windows 8 uses a different location for this now.

To change the registry so that you can run in AHCI Mode use the following steps:
Exit all applications
Go to the start screen and type in regedit, or press the Windows key and r on your keyboard to bring up the run command.
If you see the UAC (User Account Control) dialogue box, just click continue.
Locate the the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\

Locate the Error Control entry which should have a value of 3. Right-click on the entry name, select Modify, change the value from 3 to 0 and click OK.
Open the StartOverride folder and locate an entry named 0 with a value of 3. Change the value to 0 by following the procedure in step 5.
Restart and enable AHCI in your system BIOS

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 05:57:36 pm »
Hi, I did what you posted at first, and it works really fine. Easy and fast  :D

Thanks