Official GIGABYTE Forum

I need some Help and info please on a GA-945GCM-S2L mother board

EagleOne

I need some Help and info please on a GA-945GCM-S2L mother board
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:25 am »
Hi I need some Help and info please on a GA-945GCM-S2L mother board please, I had this PC lying around and decided to hook it up and get it running for a family member, my question is I have noticed when I shut down the PC the USB ports on back of PC on board stay alive and do not turn off, where the previous PC turned off completely, even my PC X58A - UD3R turns everything off usb as well, like the usb hub that connects up to GA-945GCM-S2L light up when it has power and flashes lie a Christmas tree, but when I turn off the PC the hub stays alive and keeps flashing, the previous PC and my PC this does not happen, Is there a setting I am missing in bios to power down the usb and any other unwanted power,  is it the just this mother board, or is it to do with the power supply, if its the power supply I can then put the previous PC power supply into this newer GA-945GCM-S2L PC, if its bios or something else can someone PLEASE tell me what to do or set thank you.

Also it says in windows this is a GA-945GCM-S2L and it has Intel (R) Pentium (R) D CPU 3.40GHZ, 3.40GHZ, so what is this? is it a dual core or Core™ 2 Duo or something else trying to find out the info on it as it has 2 cores at 3.40GHz. thx :D

Thank you for your time.

EagleOne

Re: I need some Help and info please on a GA-945GCM-S2L mother board
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:22 am »
Can someone please help me with my questions thx

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:48:02 pm »
Some PSU's do not allow this, and some do, so that may be why you never saw it before on other boards or systems.

You can try disabling Wake from USB in the BIOS power page.  It's a hidden settings, if you are on the latest BIOS, if not please update to the latest BIOS.  Then on the MAIN page of the BIOS press control + F1, and the screen will flash, then go into power options and disable the wake from USB option and see if this stops that.  If it does not then that means your PSU leaves the +5v line enabled while the system is powered off.  This is a new feature in power supplies, made in the past 5 years or so, so devices can be charged via USB while the computer is off.

Pentium D is dual core Pentium 4, not core 2 or core 2 duo, it was made right before they made Core 2

EagleOne

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:55:28 am »
Thank you for your help l am a bit ill with my chronic illness and have not tried it yet but if l changed the power supply to the previous one that did not stay powered, would this stop this to or not ?.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »
Hi

It might well do so if it is a PSU function but it could also be a function of the motherboard and the On/Off Charge Technology that lets you charge certain components even with the computer's power off.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:29:02 am »
Yes, if you had a power supply that did not do that in the past, you can switch it out for your new one, and then it should act the same as it used to.

Hope you get to feeling better!