Official GIGABYTE Forum

Lost Drive capacity with Smart Response

Re: Lost Drive capacity with Smart Response
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »
I've skimmed through this topic so forgive if I repeat anything here that has been mentioned already.

The iSSD, as I understand it, doesn't actually speed up your HD; it only speeds up access to frequently used data.  That is to say, if you're using a program that frequently would read the same block of information off the HD this is recognised and the data is then moved to the iSSD cache so that it can be accessed more quickly.  For this reason testing programs that measure data throughput need to be run a few times to get meaningful results because, initially, the data being used for the test isn't in the cache.

I recently did a new build using the iSSD board, followed the instructions in the Smart Reponse installation guide and everything went perfectly (to my amazement )  Having said that, I haven't a clue as to how to see what the improvement is in real life applications (as against testing programs)

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: Lost Drive capacity with Smart Response
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:02 am »
I've skimmed through this topic so forgive if I repeat anything here that has been mentioned already.

The iSSD, as I understand it, doesn't actually speed up your HD; it only speeds up access to frequently used data.  That is to say, if you're using a program that frequently would read the same block of information off the HD this is recognised and the data is then moved to the iSSD cache so that it can be accessed more quickly.  For this reason testing programs that measure data throughput need to be run a few times to get meaningful results because, initially, the data being used for the test isn't in the cache.........Correctamoondo 8)

I recently did a new build using the iSSD board, followed the instructions in the Smart Reponse installation guide and everything went perfectly (to my amazement )  Having said that, I haven't a clue as to how to see what the improvement is in real life applications (as against testing programs)
Testing programs (Benching) will be hit and miss at best!..... the only way to get any type of result will be a stop watch!

the cache (file) that is built up over time is as you understand it correctly .."commonly used data"..... so programs will open faster and so on.....

But say if you're gaming and walk into a room and frag the perps with a handgun and walk out the room the same way..... this done several times will be catchable data (some of it) .... defag your hard drive and everything will go back to zero  ... it will (iSSD) improve overall performance if your C: drive is a magnetic, spinning Platter .... if you use SSD for C: drive .... no noticeable improvement would be the result .... in fact it may be fractionally slower if the iSSD is used in a conventional , out of the box manner

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage