Official GIGABYTE Forum

How does DVID work?

How does DVID work?
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:17:22 am »
When using DVID instead of messing with core voltage / LLC, when does it kick in?

Is DVID always active, at all load values when EIST is enabled (i.e. regardless of the current step / multiplier, the DVID is applied?)

Or is it only applied when the multiplier is in "boost" territory (i.e. > 33x)?

I'm having a hell of a time understanding the CPU Core voltages on my GA-Z68XP-UD3 + i5-2500k.

Defaults for this CPU are 1.260 vcore.  That seems rather high to me, but trying to drop the vcore definitely doesn't allow any OC.  I'm beginning to wonder if my CPU just isn't on the low-end for i5-2500k series?  I keep reading about others getting 4.5+ GHz @ 1.3 vcore or less!

I've got plenty of cooling - with 1.45 vcore @ 4.5 GHz prime 95 coming in at about 70c max (after an hour or so - so I've long since hit maximum temps).

I've read a number of articles on sandy bridge overclocking, so I get the basics (and I've OCed various CPUs since the Core2duo days).  But I'm very confused as to what really is DVID?

Ideally I want the CPU at idle to be at 1.000vcore or less, and at full load I want it to be at whatever the minimum vcore is required by this chip to be 100% stable.   Any ideas as to how best to achieve this?

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: How does DVID work?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:20:22 am »

RGONE over at Overclockers (Senior DFI Staff) posted this and I think it sums it up nicely..........

DVID = Gigabyte Dynamic Vcore. Vcore must be set to normal or DVID will not function. All C states and EIST etc must be enabled.

The idea is to 'find' the max Vcore necessary for stablity. Then 'know' what is the normal cpu voltage supplied by the board's bios. Not something you set but Vcore supplied automatically by board bios.

Then subtract default Vcore from the Max Vcore needed for stability. This resultant number is inserted as the DVID setting.

Thus DVID is NOT some arbitrary 0.1 or 0.4 setting but an actual value determined setting by testing and doing the math.

"DVID would only or should only come into play after stability is reached"

Hope this helps

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:47:18 pm »
That's cool way to go about finding what it needs to be... except...

Why does it matter to find your Vcore first?  The fact of the matter is that you have to experiment to find a Vcore that's stable by upping the Vcore or lowering your multiplier until you find a stable combo (44x @ 1.304v, eg).  What is different about finding that first, and setting DVID based on that, vs. finding a DVID directly by trial & error just as you would a stable Vcore?

I just don't understand the emphasis on one vs. the other when they amount to the exact same thing, you know?

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:14:41 am »
That's cool way to go about finding what it needs to be... except...

Why does it matter to find your Vcore first?  The fact of the matter is that you have to experiment to find a Vcore that's stable by upping the Vcore or lowering your multiplier until you find a stable combo (44x @ 1.304v, eg).  What is different about finding that first, and setting DVID based on that, vs. finding a DVID directly by trial & error just as you would a stable Vcore?

I just don't understand the emphasis on one vs. the other when they amount to the exact same thing, you know?

Well Good! .... now you have choice!...

Look at it this way ......1) DVID is a new area that all of us are struggling with and it's ramification in stability .... 2) if you had just 6 settings and only on and off .... there's 36 combinations (experiment) if you can reduce that by one to five ..... it's reduced to 25 combinations .....but since most BIOS are not just on/off ... eg Vcore and QPI/VTT where there is what ....lets say 70 different settings each .....that 4900 combinations and that's just for two ..... add just one more and this figure rises exponentially ..... just being able to nail one figure to a set parameter (normal) reduces possible combinations by tens of thousands .... literally 

Also reread these two statements .....  DVID = Gigabyte Dynamic Vcore

................................................Vcore must be set to normal or DVID will not function

As peoples experiences increase more user information will come to light re DVID .... if you want more .... you'll just have to keep trolling the net

To answer your very specific questions .... You may have to contact Gigabyte support with a Product  "information request" .... expect a few week for a reply if at all.

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage