Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-870A-USB3 Rev. 3.0 no POST

Wcool

GA-870A-USB3 Rev. 3.0 no POST
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:14:52 pm »
Hello,

I have especially registered for this problem and if you guys can't eliminate it, of which I do hope you can, I'll send a support ticket to GIGABYTE. edit: I already sent a support ticket to Gigabyte about this issue, hopefully they're also able to help me out with this, together with this great forum.

INFO: My whole system has NOT been overclocked, because I do not have the knowledge to do so.

Specs:

Model: GIGABYTE GA-870A-USB3
Rev: 3.0
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
RAM: Crucial 4GB 1333Mhz (takes one memory slot, so 4GB in one slot).
Graphics: ATi Radeon HD4850

Problem Description:

I have got this board for about half a year or so and suddenly when I play a game or only use Firefox for browsing the web my PC suddenly stops working and nothing works, not even the power button or reset button. The only thing that works are the fans of the graphics and CPU.
My screen turns black and the LCD Activity Indicator is blinking, exactly the same way when the PC is off.
I already eliminated the graphics and RAM, don't know if the CPU is blown, I think not.

Now, one day later (today), my PC won't boot at all, won't even POST.
I already short circuit the CMOS Clear pins, but it doesn't help, nor removing the battery for some minutes.

Does anybody maybe got an answer to this problem? I hope so :-)

Kind Regards,

Wcool

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:19:55 pm by Wcool »

jolphil

Re: GA-870A-USB3 Rev. 3.0 no POST
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:04 pm »
Hi,
Wow that's a tough one..I think if it were my computer and I did not get a post or any indication on the monitor the very first thing I would do was look at the power supply..I failed to see what PS you have but I would try another known good supply and work from there..It may not be the supply but that would be my first logical try..
Goodluck,
jolphil

Wcool

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »
Hi,
Wow that's a tough one..I think if it were my computer and I did not get a post or any indication on the monitor the very first thing I would do was look at the power supply..I failed to see what PS you have but I would try another known good supply and work from there..It may not be the supply but that would be my first logical try..
Goodluck,
jolphil

First, thanks for thinking to a possible solution.
I tried another PS, but didn't work :(
This one is a RECOM Power Plus 600W (or 650W) PS.
I just bought it on the same date as I bought my mobo.

So...I guess the problem is somewhere else ???

Thanks for your reply!!  :D

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:25:25 am »
Hi there,

first off, don't be so quick to disniss the PSU as the possible cause as there have been plenty of times when a faulty power supply has been the ultimate cause.

That said, I would think, from what you are describing, that another cause could be an overheating Northbridge or faulty NB chip and if this is the case, then the board will need to be repaired.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jolphil

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 01:50:10 pm »
Hi again,
I think that B4 I sent the MB back I would remove it from the case and just lay it out on some cardboard and only have what is necessary for the computer to boot..Remove all but essential cards..This would rule out any latent board short to case ..this process will also force you to remove and reconnect all power connectors just in case there was a faulty connection..There is plenty of documentation on this forum to explain this procedure..Edit: It is not a bad idea to reseat all cards including memory too.
Goodluck,
jolphil

absic had an excellent suggestion about the Northbridge..I have an earlier version of this board and the NB heatsink got really hot and was
wobbly from the two push pins mounting..Make sure it is flat and tight against the chip..
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:54:15 pm by jolphil »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:28:37 pm »

absic had an excellent suggestion about the Northbridge..I have an earlier version of this board and the NB heatsink got really hot and was
wobbly from the two push pins mounting..Make sure it is flat and tight against the chip..

Also make sure that the TIM doesn't need replacing if the heatsink has come loose as it won't be working properly now.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

jolphil

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:08:27 pm »
Also make sure that the TIM doesn't need replacing if the heatsink has come loose as it won't be working properly now.

Good point..Yes we went all through that B4 with the new TIM and  dedicated fan..
jolphil

Wcool

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 03:15:29 pm »
Thanks for all your great help.
I tested my PS on my brother's PC, but there he worked.
I still wasn't sure, so I brought my PS to the store where I bought it.
They tested it and the PS was indeed broken for a part, some voltages were not working anymore.

Got a new PS and everything works again :D

Thanks for the other advices too!

Kind Regards,

Wcool

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 03:30:25 pm »
Hi there,

pleased you got it sorted and it just goes to show how, even a PSU that seems to work OK, can be the problem.  ;)

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.