Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-m720-us3 reboots / freezes after flash...

ga-m720-us3 reboots / freezes after flash...
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:45:04 pm »
I flashed the BIOS on my board, a ga-m720-us3  (with the wrong image, I think) via the Windows utility, and when I rebooted the dual-bios thing said it is restoring.
Now it just reboots 3 times, freezing on the 3rd. The BIOS version says that it is the previous version, too.

I managed to get into the BIOS only once, and reset defaults and everything looked OK.

Now I can't get into the BIOS (DEL), or get to quick flash (END), or the BIOS restore (F9[?]) - It just reboots and freezes the third time.

I have an AMD Phenom 2 X6 processor, and I think this is the problem - When the POST freezes, there is an "AMD - Unknown processor" message where the processor info should be.

Anyone know how I can flash it back to how it was (I have the correct BIOS on a USB stick)?
The only time I ever had a problem was after this failed flash attempt.

Thanks for any help. Oh, and please don't tell me I've knackered yet another board - lol!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: ga-m720-us3 reboots / freezes after flash...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:58:45 pm »
Hi there,

Do you want the good news or the bad news?

The good news, the motherboard is probably OK and you haven't fried it!

The bad news. With the BIOS reverting to the back-up version you have lost support for the X6 processor which needs the latest F7N version to work properly. (Assuming your processor is one of the 95 Watt versions). As the CPU isn't being recognised you will need a CPU that is supported by the BIOS, that is now running, to update the BIOS again before your current CPU will work again.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:44:46 pm »
Thanks for your quick and helpful reply!

Would you believe that I just gave away an AMD dual-core cpu that would fit my board...? lol

I'll try to get it back and keep my fingers crossed that I can (successfully) flash the thing again to get my chip working...

Again, thanks for your help  ;)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:49:53 am »
Hi again,

Once you have updated the Main BIOS and get things up and running again you can flash the back-up BIOS chip to match the Main BIOS in case you encounter any other problems.

To do this, where you would normally press DEL to enter the BIOS, instead press "Alt + F12" together, this will flash the Backup BIOS with the MAIN BIOS contents.   Do not worry when you see a recovery comment, that is normal and means it is flashing the backup BIOS. Just follow th eonscreen instructions and remember NOT to turn the power off until the flashing process has completed.

I find it is better if you can use a PS/2 keyboard to do this and it may take several attempts before it works. Also it works better if you can do it from a cold start (PC completely powered down) rather than trying to do it from a reboot.

To check that both BIOS chips have the same version, press F9 when you are on the BIOS home Screen. Another window will open that gives you such information.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.