Official GIGABYTE Forum

Conflict between EMU 1212M PCI-E and Gigabyte 970A-D3

Conflict between EMU 1212M PCI-E and Gigabyte 970A-D3
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »
I recently built a DAW using 970A-D3 , Phenom2-X6 T1055 Chip. I am having a big problem with audio latency with the card.  I have tried varies video card, 9500, 8600GT and ATI 4830,  I have tired swapping out cards into different slots,  I have tried all sort of BIOS and WIndow7 tweets, updated the BIOS, and still the same results.  I have done a clean install and it is the same.  All drivers are updated and current.  I still get the same results.  A couple of years ago I had run into the same problem when I was building my last DAW.

Once again it was a Gigabyte Motherboard and once again I was having the same problem I am having now.

I eliminated the problem by purchasing an MSI Motherboard and installing it.  All problem disappeared and ran great for 2 years until motherboard burnt out.  I would like to know if anyone using an EMU 1212M-PCI-E card. with a Gigabyte board has experienced the same things I have.  If so what did you do to eliminated it other then buying another board from another company.  The was reluctant to buy this board after my bad experiences with Gigabyte but I was told by the salesman that all of those problems have been eliminated but it looks like I made a mistake.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Conflict between EMU 1212M PCI-E and Gigabyte 970A-D3
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:12:25 pm »
Hi there,

I don't have your Audio Card as I run the M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI based soundcard in my DAW, but I can really understand your frustration. When you say you have tried different slots did you try the card in the PCIeX4 slot too? If not try that.

In BIOS disable as many features as you can such as Serial Port and On-board Audio. If you are not running any USB3 Devices try disabling this too.

Apart from the CPU and GPU that you have mentioned what other hardware have you got installed?
Did you install any of the Gigabyte software that came on the install disk? If you did remove it as things like EasyTune can cause real problems when running in the background.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:47:56 pm »
Yes I did try the PCIx4 slot and no change either.  Yes I did disable everything except the on-board LAN and SATA3.  I only installed the LAN driver and the chip set driver.  None of the utilities.

Last night I went out and purchased an MSI 870S-G54 and installed it  I did not have time to do a clean install but I tried it and I found a very big improvement.  I was able to get down to 6ms running 30 tracks of stereo VST's and I was running about 60% CPU usage. 

SO I am not sure if it is a bad mix with Gigabyte and EMU or MSI is better suited for DAW work.

Thanks for your input.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:49:01 am »
I have no idea what this is all about, so please excuse me for my possible mindless ranting...
... but I have found this question of yours posted elsewhere and I therefore assume that you are using Microsoft Windows (at least XP).

So... have you tried using alternative drivers, such as those from the kX Project?
Have you tried using the ASIO4ALL wrapper?

Once again, I am awfully sorry if my questions are stupid...
Thucydides: "There will be justice in Athens when those who are not injured are as outraged as those who are injured."

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »
I have no idea what this is all about, so please excuse me for my possible mindless ranting...
... but I have found this question of yours posted elsewhere and I therefore assume that you are using Microsoft Windows (at least XP).

So... have you tried using alternative drivers, such as those from the kX Project?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

ISO for all did not do anything for me.  These KX  Projects look very interesting.  I have done a clean install Win7-64bit with the MSI board and i am going to give these drivers a try.  If I see a big difference I will put the Gigabyte board in for another shot.  Let you know how it goes...

Thanks alot.......

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

ISO for all did not do anything for me.  These KX  Projects look very interesting.  I have done a clean install Win7-64bit with the MSI board and i am going to give these drivers a try.  If I see a big difference I will put the Gigabyte board in for another shot.  Let you know how it goes...

Thanks alot.......

The KX Project drivers would not work on my win 7 x64. But I decided to give the Gigabyte board one more try and this time it worked much better...and here is the reason. If you have a PC with Win 7 x64 and you have more than 1 HD, and you change some component(s), somehow Windows writes part of the old system to another drive so even when you do a clean install, it is never really clean. When you go to install Windows and in the installer you see more than one drive that says system, format it as well. After doing this, the Gigabyte board performed the way I wanted it to.

Thanks for all your help. I hope this info will help other as well.