Official GIGABYTE Forum

Poll

With Bulldozer going live and Intels release just around the corner , What will you be using in 12 months time

I think I've had enough and will be going over to Intel
0 (0%)
I will always use AMD
3 (17.6%)
I will always use Intel
4 (23.5%)
It's time to try AMD
0 (0%)
It's time to try Intel
2 (11.8%)
Bulldozer is great
1 (5.9%)
Bulldozer is a disapointment
2 (11.8%)
Bulldozer I'll never trust AMD again
0 (0%)
LGA-2011 is my next platform
1 (5.9%)
LGA-2011 I'm thinking about
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Intel or AMD forum Poll

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Intel or AMD forum Poll
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:54:08 pm »

Right another poll !.......and yes , probably a dismal response as usual  ( yes! negative psychology at work :D) .....I've been trying to gauge the response Bulldozer has had on the general community and the effect the press releases have had on peoples views.

I've tried to give you plenty of options with up to four votes out of the 10 choices, ....you can even go back and change your views over the coming weeks.

Gigabyte need to know your views to allocate R&D resources ...... which you as the consumer ultimately pay for ..... where do you want your money spent

I believe in voting with my feet......how about you!
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Ben

Re: Intel or AMD forum Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:12:48 am »
Regarding "Bulldozer" I read somewhere that it was a real disappointment, (will try & find the site).
Also on this topic but different angle do you think that any of these companies will either join up together or be tossed to the wayside like so many others have.
Because I reckon with new tech' plus price wars something has got to give.
Have used AMD & Intel, each have their pros & cons.
Ben.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:59:00 am »

Hiya Ben ....... I put in "Bulldozer" and "disappointment" into Goggle and got 1.42 million hits  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously though......you always have to have the toughest kid on the block ..... it's just business!......Canon and Nikon .....Arnott's biscuits and .....well you get the idea  (crap I miss Tim-Tams)

There's always someone waiting to fill the number two spot ......like Sun!...as in "Sun Micro systems"  some will say .... no way......but they have the potential to fill the spot in a 5 years frame if there was a void to drive it

AMD Getting into bed with Intel ..... no government on the planet would sanction such a merger ... nice thought though.....we'll call it InteliMAD............AMD pricing with Intel technology :D 

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Ben

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:08:02 am »
I have heard that the new 2011 will not have a standard cooler but is to have it liquid cooled, & this is to be sold separately is this right?
Love the moniker "InteliMAD".
 I have also used "ATI" & "Nvidia" GPU,s.
Like everything else I believe it's up to the user, as you say "voting with your feet" & do companies really take note of the consumer?
As they seem to have the idea that they know what we want even without asking us.
I believe what you are doing is a great idea & if the powers that be actually listened to us they might produce a decent product.
As for "Tim Tams" what flavour where you after? as there are quite a few now.
I will not mention the fact I am eating caramel flavoured ones as I type this haha.
Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
As with all new technology there are bound to be issues (remember the last Intel Chips) and I think Bulldozer, although not seemingly living up to the pre-release hype is probably not as bad as it is being reported. It will be interesting to see how it does outside of the reviewer's hands who are only doing certain benchmarking tests and rarely, if ever, test under real world conditions.

Nearly everyone was expecting it to blow the i5 and i7 CPU's away but this was never going to be the reality and if people had looked past the headlines and done more research, they would have been aware of this.

Yes, the jump from the current high-end X6 processors isn't that big but if you are running older AMD processors then it is a big leap forward and I am sure that many will be more than satisfied with the way they perform.

Once again, those that jump in first are going to be the beta testers. They will face the problems and encounter early issues that will need to be ironed out. Having been there and done that, I am holding back from buying one at the present time. I have told those who have asked, that I will be waiting until next year when the next crop of Bulldozers come along. By then the majority of problems will have been addressed and the dust will have settled and then I will upgrade.

Yes, I am considering putting together an Intel system too but not because of Bulldozer or any failings on the part of AMD. The one thing I have learnt is, that in most situations, Intel are dominating the PC market and other makers gear their products towards this rather than AMD configurations. I have lost count of the times, when I have approached companies to ask for information as to why something doesn't work as expected, only to be told: "Sorry, we don't have an AMD set-up for testing". This says it all really and as with the hardware, this applies to a lot of software too, tested and reviewed on Intel systems with how things will work on the AMD platform seemingly as an afterthought.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »
Sadly absic I would have to agree that AMD is looked on in the industry as very much a second class item. This is a shame as they have made a tremendous input into this market and things wouldn't have been the same without them. It wasn't so many years ago that everybody was using Athlons as the CPU of choice and more than happy with the price and architecture. I think with the Bulldozer it was really a case of it failed to match the hype but lived up to the reality perfectly. As with most events like this it was talked up so much that it didn't really stand a chance.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Steve66a

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:16:50 pm »
As of today there are only a couple of boards with proper firmware, I have my some issues with both, that show what the new FX chips their true potential.
With a little hope, Gigabyte will release a Bios update for the 880gma-usb3 ( the form factor fits our needs ). IMHO, with our present test platform, another brand w/880g - 710 SB runs well, even great with some of our applications, in some cases as well as I7 260, we are able to see some positive result. However there seems to be an instruction issue that we don't understand.
FWIW, the FX launch was strange. There are MBs that have support for the FX AM3+, some with flakey firmware, acceptable firmware or none at all = recipe for dissaster. So.....